Parker Jack Knife #20 Restoration Questions - My First

LargeSofa

Hi - I am moving my inquiry over to the repair section. I have a parker jack knife, it is my first attempt at a re-sac and self repair. I got the button and pressure bar out, just tonight got the nib section off with my heat gun. Probably done for tonight until I answer some questions on my next steps (maybe polish up the bar).

1) How should I clean the inside of the barrel? I know not to soak it, that's for sure. Should I just wipe it out with a damp qq tip or paper towel, using simply water?

2) the nib section threads have a bunch of shellac remaining on it, what is best way to remove this crud? should I clean it up with Naptha (I don't have any or even know where to buy at this point)?

3) there is crud around the nib neck - where the sac attaches. I scarped most of it away with my fingernail, but it is by no means clean. How should I clean this up?

4) I plan to flush the nib section using my bulb suction "tool". should I just use straight water for this? I have JB pen flush too... I have never written with the pen, so don't know how clogged it is.

5) why is the nib section shellaced in place? it screws in tight - new pens with converters are not sealed. just wondering.

thank you for the help. very exciting for a fp lover.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kirchh

• Sasha Royale

• LargeSofa

• Ink Blotto

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1) How should I clean the inside of the barrel? I know not to soak it, that's for sure. Should I just wipe it out with a damp qq tip or paper towel, using simply water?

2) the nib section threads have a bunch of shellac remaining on it, what is best way to remove this crud? should I clean it up with Naptha (I don't have any or even know where to buy at this point)?

3) there is crud around the nib neck - where the sac attaches. I scarped most of it away with my fingernail, but it is by no means clean. How should I clean this up?

4) I plan to flush the nib section using my bulb suction "tool". should I just use straight water for this? I have JB pen flush too... I have never written with the pen, so don't know how clogged it is.

5) why is the nib section shellaced in place? it screws in tight - new pens with converters are not sealed. just wondering.

thank you for the help. very exciting for a fp lover.

Hey LS,

You're moving along!

1) Rinse the barrel with COOL running water, then dry completely. Shouldn't discolor the barrel.

2) Carefully use your dental tools and/or Exacto knife to pick and chase the threads until the shellac is gone.

3) Same with the sac nipple. Scrape all of the shellac away, then sand around just the nipple (use about 220 grit) to roughen it and get it ready for a new sac.

4) Use JB in your bulb first, let it sit for about 5 min. then flush with plenty of COOL water until you see no ink on the paper towel that you dry it with.

5) Possibly the last sac replacer didn't understand that there was no need to shellac the threads?!?

Good luck! :)

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

5) why is the nib section shellaced in place? it screws in tight - new pens with converters are not sealed. just wondering..

Note that new pens with converters are not sealed because the barrel must be unscrewed each time the pen needs to be filled.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

I think it is rubber. After 100 years, rubber can become brittle. Be wise.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !