What Pens Do You Use Most Frequently?

william2001

Hello William and everyone else,

I usually grab the pen(s) that write the best for me; typically I grab a Safari (Al-Star) or a Sheaffer Prelude. I have Nemosine Singularities, Fissions and Pilot Metropolitans, but I do not like them near as much as my Lamys or the Sheaffer. :)

Best regards,

Chris

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pmhudepo

• greensparcs

• stacybean

• danieln

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At school my Pilot 823 F nib, Pilot VP F nib, and Nakaya Long .5mm stub get the most use. At home I favor the Nakaya Long and a Pilot Metropolitan for Journaling and my Nakaya Dorsal Fin V2 1mm stub/CI for letter writing.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

My favorite is a Kaigelu 316, writes and looks better (after some tweaking) than some of my most expensive pens. I have it on me at all times. Absolutely reliable companion.

My Lamy 2000 M nib.

I have many pens ranging from a Safari to a MB149, but since I got it in January my 2000 has been uninked for only one day before I had to fill it up again.

There are pens which are better in one way or another but, as a complete package it seems ideal to me. Sad because I no longer desire new pens.

Changes, when a pen runs out of ink, mostly it's retired from rotation.

Right now, I've been reloading my black 140 semi-flex OF with old MB Sepia, rather than shutting it down. I like that ink.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

At home, I've been using a Nakaya portable with medium nib, or a Ackerman Pump pen with a Manga G nib. The pens are complete opposites in almost every way, but I like forcing my hand to adapt to the different environments. When I'm at work, I'm using a Lamy Safari because it's so reliable and replaceable.

The pen that I carry around almost all the time is my Platinum Preppy (03 nib). However, this is not the pen that I use the most. Rather, it is to ensure that I have a pen on hand even when I am unlikely to write.

The pen that I use most frequently is my Platinum Standard with medium nib. It is the pen I use for note-taking, writing in my diary, spiritual journaling, practicing writing in Japanese, and miscellaneous other writing tasks. I pack it along with another Platinum Standard, but with fine nib, along with my Mitsubishi Pure Malt mechanical pencil in a Nockco three-pen holster.

However, having acquired a Platinum #3776 Century, I intend that to be my new daily writer. At the moment it has replaced my fine nib Platinum Standard in the pen holster because I wanted to compare it to the medium nib Platinum Standard and did not have any spare converters, but I will probably swap out the medium nib Platinum Standard instead in case I need a finer nib when I am not at home.

I take my Waterman Expert II with a fine nib with me on many occasions when I don't really expect to write a lot, but still want a reliable, sturdy pen.

Most frequently used is a bit difficult to tell. I suspect Montblanc 149 in either F or M nib because I often take these with me to work and take notes with them.

But I use many different pens, especially for journaling and writing practice, ranging from EF to stub italic. Perhaps after six more years of fountain pen usage, it'll be easier to pick a most frequiently used pen.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

Kaweco AL Sport. that one's always in my pocket. now i started to rotate that with Classic Sport. at home, i use all the pens that i have that i don't feel like carrying with me for one reason or the other.

In the pen cup on my desk at the office are always a Sheaffer OS Balance, a Parker Senior Duofold, and a Parker 51 Flighter ( which goes with me everywhere).

Other pens take up short term residence there: Conklin OS Endura, a Shaeffer triumph snorkel whose model name escapes me, Lamy Vista with 1.1 stub nib.

Making cameo appearances in the office are an MB 149 (which used to be a regular), a Sailor KOP Pro Gear, various Omas and Visconti.

And when they return from rehab, a Parker 51 Vac and a Maxima will resume residence on the desk.

gary

Thinking some more about this topic, here are a few favourite combinations:

Montblanc Agatha Christie, F nib, Iroshizuku Asa-gao -- gorgeous combination. This could well be my "one pen, one ink" combination.

Also very nice: Montblanc 149, F or M nib with Asa-gao, or with MB Alfred Hitchcock (the ink)

Lovely, very smooth, easy writer but a little bit lacking in character: Pelikan M800 EF with Asa-gao.

Parker Duofold International with F/M nib: quite wet and very easy for taking notes; perhaps the only pen in which I use Parker Quink Blue

Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze, F nib, with Akkerman Simplisties Violet: perhaps more character and style than ease of use. Wonderful nib, great lava/resin material.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

Pilot Prera in Fine and Italic. I carry and use them both everyday.

I agree with FlyFast.

I own, and love, a whole load of pens, both modern and vintage, with all types and sizes of nibs. But the pens I use the most, because they are robust, have great nibs and it wouldn't hurt too much if I lost/damaged them, are my Pilot Preras. I chuck them around with impunity and they stand up to the beating.

These are closely followed by my numerous Parker 45s. I think of my Preras as the modern-day equivalents of the 45.

My (current) proper favourite, on the other hand, is a Waterman's W5. It brings me joy to write with it. No way I'd take it to work though (too many thieving wotsits!).

Verba volant, scripta manent

My pen choice is largely driven by context:

At work I keep a Safari inked with red (currently Diamine Vermillion) and a Metropolitan with green (on my last few drops of Diamine Sherwood), and use them consistently for different types of notation. For memos, note taking, and signing there's no favourite, but I work through a haphazard rotation.

When writing in journals, and for lecture notes, I default to Sailor 1911 and Platinum 3776.

For letters, I use a dip pen for the envelopes, and then rotate through what's inked for the letters. I'm slowly learning which pens are happier with which types of paper.

When I'm writing for longer periods of time, no matter what pen I'm using, I find a tendency to drift on about which pen to use next - very distracting.

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.png

"On such a full sea are we now afloat; and we must take the current as it serves". Julius Caesar, Act 4, scene 3.

On vacation and running errands, I rely on my Platinum Preppy and Pilot Prera. Good enough to be fun to write with, but not the end of the world if they go missing.

At work and on business trips I use all of my pens, cycling through them over a few months. Specialty nibs (vintage flex, BB and the like) are an exception; they aren't suitable for work, so they get less use. My favorite pens are my Sheaffers and Pelikans (especially the m600), so they get the most use.

1. My Pilot VP, Binder 0.6 stub nib, blue ink (will probably settle on Asa-gao), for general daily use.

2. My Twsbi Vac 700, 580AL and Mini, all with 1.1 stub nibs, whatever ink I feel like, for writing pretty.

3. My Nemosine Singularity, fine nib, Waterman Audacious Red, for marking up tech docs at work.

4. My Hero 382, fine nib, Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black, for quick sketches etc.

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262105-handwriting-from-hell-a-quest-for-personal-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=2917072

I currently have 6 favorites, all from Edison or Newton. I usually go with whatever color/pattern goes with whatever jacket or shirt I'm wearing that day. My most favorite though is always the most recent acquisition (provided it performs as expected of course). My next favorite pen should be arriving soon.

It's a Gate City Readyfill from Richardspens.com

post-75948-0-07886600-1411061028_thumb.png

Edited by CoolFool

"A kingdom for a stage, princes to act,

And monarchs to behold the swelling scene!"

For days without client work:

In my edc bag: two VP with F nibs; one inked with Sheaffer Skrip Red the other usually with Pilot Blue-Black.

My pocket edc: a Pilot M90; usually inked with either Pilot Purple or Pilot Blue-Black

(why Pilot inks? I have a stock of cartridges. Especially for the M90 I prefer to use carts rather than the converter. Just the way I roll.)

At my work desk or in my home study I'll have a set from the rotation. These lean heavily towards Parker (modern Duofolds, P45, P51) Cross, Pelikan, Sheaffer Targa. The rotation sets also travel with me in my 'business' briefcase. Some sets are cart only; most use bottled inks -- also in their own rotation.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

Of course it varies as I also rotate my pens ...

I`m carrying around a Franklin-Christoph Pocket since I got it early this year

& during the past couple months I`ve used mostly:

_ Franklin-Christoph Intrinsic Smoke & Ice

_ at least two Stylomine 303

_ Noodler`s Flex Creeper

I do try to rotate through my pens, all of which have been used at some point. Some are less likely to get inked than others. Some might have to wait until, say, 2017 for their next assignment.

It's likely, though, that I'll have at least one of the following three inked at any given time. Pilot Custom Heritage 92 with FM nib, Pilot Vanishing Point with F (Binderized) nib, or my Montblanc Noblesse, with a reground medium nib. Might be two of these, might be all three at once.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin