What Pens Do You Use Most Frequently?

william2001

I know many people's favorite pens, but I'm pretty sure that not everyone uses their favorite pen most frequently.

What pens do you use most frequently?

I'll start off. I most frequently use my Parker Sonnet F because the nib is smooth and the pen is not too expensive.

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pmhudepo

• greensparcs

• stacybean

• danieln

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tend to leave my more expensive pens at home - not always inked - and use my Lamy Al-stars and Safaris every day. I also have a Waterman Phileas that is always in use. They are all wonderful writers and I don't worry about losing or damaging any of them, except for the silver-blue Al-stars and the Phileas. I tend to be more careful with those. They would cost a lot more to replace now than when I first bought them.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

This is kind of a toss up for me. At home lately, my Delta Fusion 82 or Conway Stewart Belliver but that's only because both have stubs and I'm using them for handwriting practice and I find these stubs super smooth when learning underwriting. At work, my very favorite pen, the Pelikan M800, competes with my favorite shirt pocket pen, the Pelikan M600. I do a lot of jotting of quick notes, ideas, etc and sometimes it's just easier to grab the M600. Plus if I'm out and about, it's usually the M600 I'm carrying since the M800 is a trifle big for my shirt pocket. If I'm writing on really crappy copy paper at work (which happens often),I'll reach for my Nakaya Neo Standard because it has the finest nib and it doesn't write very wet, so bleed through, spread, and feathering are at a minimum. Sounds complicated but really isn't and it works for me.

Edited by Baric

Urm it depends. The pen I use the most is a Parker Frontier technically I have 3 of them but it's a discontinued pen so I have a few spare. It's my everyday work horse.

I've had a Pelikan M200 since May and I think the longest it has been un-inked for is a week. I use it most days for doodling with, it's one of favorites a great little pen with class.

These are my 2 most used pens of late hopefully I will get bored of M200 soon so another pen can get some lime light. I'm more content with the pens I own know then I have been for a long time.

Edited by The Blue Knight

Hmmm, good question. For me, it doesn't really matter if it is one of my more expensive pens or not; when the mood strikes, I pick up and ink whatever strikes my fancy, (though I don't have any REAL expensive pens....for me, the most expensive one I have is a Waterman Edson Sapphire Blue with M 18K nib!)

Currently, the ones I seem to be using most often at work are the following: Pelikan M600 with F 14K nib modified by Greg Minuskin for flex, Namiki Falcon with SF 14K nib and a Pilot Elite 95S with M 14K nib.

The Pilot Elite 95S is actually turning into one of my favorite "Go2" pens as it is light, the nib is smooth and springy, the slip on/off cap makes for easy deployment and the size just makes it d@mn convenient to carry around, though ink capacity is on the small side. The Pelikan is light, dependable and I just love the classic proportions and green striations. The Falcon is just fun to have; expressive lines as well as thin, fine lines when I need it. Like the Elite 95S though, ink capacity is miniscule. That said, I appreciate the frequent breaks in the day to refill them!

I am shocked to write that currently I frequently reach for a Lamy Al-Star with a 1.1mm nib at the office. I tried this pen at a local paper shop and a long held aversion to the appearance of this pen evaporated. I frequently us a Pilot Demonstrator 823 as well . At home a stubish B MB149, Pelikan M800's , Delta Fusion 82 stub and a Marlen Aleph.

Everything I own leaves the house with me at some point. Doesn't matter if it was twenty five bucks or twenty five hundred bucks. I bought them to use them...

My Pilot Metros, and my Nemosine Fission, and my Parker 51.

But if I don't like a pen, it isn't in rotation, but those are my favorites.

The Pilot Metro I have at work is probably my favorite pen over all so far. For me, there is something about the finish and shape as well as the nib ; smooth with the perfect touch of feedback. It is a pleasure to write with every time, and it may sound strange, but every time I uncap it I give a little mental "ahh". :P

(edited to remove all "that")

Edited by Vgimlet

That's a very hard question to answer since it varies greatly over time. Right now I'd say one of my Montegrappas, Sheaffer Legacy family or one of the Caran d'Ache pens would be the most used, at least over the last few years. It's far easier to point to brands that don't get out to play, none of my Pelikans or Montblancs have gotten to do much more than a cameo appearance in the last few years. One of the Yard-o-Leds also often makes it into rotation, particularly the tiny (an heir but no spare) pocket Victorian.

- Lamy 2000 EF (snap-cap, good for jotting quick notes)

- Kaweco Lilliput EF (fits in any pocket when I'm not expecting to need to write something)

- Pilot Custom 823 F, for extended writing sessions

Other pens when the mood takes me.

1. Eversharp Skyline Demi F semi-flex nib

2. Sheaffer Balance F nib, its a wonderfully dry writer (my first Balance restore)

3. Sheaffer Milady brown striated frankenpen, with a Belmont Nail F nib (my work pen and another restoration I did which entailed removing a snapped feed and nib)

They all write immensely smooth and are all dependable, though the Skyline is a tad fragile for my tastes. I do have a Karas Kustoms Ink on the way that I am extremely excited for and it might skyrocket to number one if its all its cracked up to be.

For school, I expect to use my Pilot Metropolitan the most. I actually put my Metropolitan nib in a 78G body because it's lighter and more comfortable to use for long periods of note-taking. And the nib, a medium, is just perfect for me. It's not too dry, it's not a gusher, it's smooth, and the line width itself is just right.

My daily user is a Pelikan M200 blue marbled with a 14k gold nib.

The other pen I use more often would be the Lamy 2000.

I carry 8 pens on me, but the other 6 (2 Lamy Al-Stars, 1 Faber Castell Ambition, 1 Pilot Custom 74, 1 Stipula Speed, 1 other Pelikan M200) are used sparingly, only when I wish to see another ink colour on the paper.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

For me, it's the pen I have with me. Which means in my case, it's my Kaweco Al Star in raw aluminum. I have both a medium and fine nib assembly for it and I will switch nibs based on which ink is in it. However, it always has some sort of bulletproof ink as I use it for all sorts of things and it's easier to make sure the pen I'm guaranteed to have will have a stable ink.

At the beginning on every work day, I select an inked pen and put it in the pen loop of my Saddleback Folio. This comes with me all throughout my work day and that pen will see all writing use that day (or until it runs out of ink in which case I switch to my Kaweco since it's already in my pocket). More often than not, I'm putting either a Matte Black Pilot Vanishing Point (F nib) or my TWSBI 580 AL in my folio these days.

So in order of use, I'm going to have to guess:

1. Kaweco Al Sport
  2. Pilot Vanishing Point
  3. TWSBI 580 AL

And you're right. None of these are really my favorite pen to write with, which is currently my TWSBI Vac 700. I just love the way it fits my hand!

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers ~ Voltaire

Easily a Sailor 1911L, because it's the pen that stays in the loop on a Levenger planner. Other pens go through a rotation of:

Pocket pen - Rotates between a Kaweco Sport, Kaweco Liliput, or (being carried right now) a Franklin Christoph Model 40 Pocket.

General (carried) pen - Currently a Platinum 3776 Century.

Pens on my desk at home that I'm just playing with. Right now that's a Pelikan M600 with PB BLS, Noodler's Konrad, and Pelikan M200 with home ground stub.