Does This Sound Like Fun?

Lou Erickson

I keep thinking, "I want all the Iroshizuku inks!" Then I put them in a shopping cart, and wince because it's expensive.

A thought came to me: What if I bought one a month? I can afford one a month. I could make an effort to keep it in one pen all month, to really get a feel for it, and use more than a single fill.

When I'm done, two years later, I'll have the whole set of shiny bottles and glorious colors.

Which will give me plenty of time to clear off a shelf to keep them all in. :)

I am planning on writing up a list of inks and months to try them in so that they're sort of seasonally aligned.

Does anyone want to join me in this goofiness? Would it be more fun to try out things at the same time as other people do?

All I'm going to do is order a bottle a month. If you don't want to order a whole bottle, a sample would be enough to try it out. Or, if you've already got that bottle, you could ink some up and give it a shot.

What do you all think? Sound like fun, or just silly, or plain stupid?

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lou Erickson

• Sailor Kenshin

• amberleadavis

• Elyptic

sounds like fun but cant participate . I have to throw my money away on electric and bills LOL ....

Cathy :bunny01:

:happyberet:

Sometimes I wish that Goulet's Ink Drop was a monthly bottle of ink, but the chances of hitting a color I have already are a bit too high. I don't have any inks that I find unusable (except maybe Noodler's Whaleman's sepia or BSB). Still, a new Noodler's or new Diamine ink bottle each month, by subscription, seems like a good thing to me.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Sometimes I wish that Goulet's Ink Drop was a monthly bottle of ink, but the chances of hitting a color I have already are a bit too high. I don't have any inks that I find unusable (except maybe Noodler's Whaleman's sepia or BSB). Still, a new Noodler's or new Diamine ink bottle each month, by subscription, seems like a good thing to me.

For something like that, you'd almost need to send out confirmation cards the way the old record clubs did. "If you don't reply, we'll send you this month's top selection!" and then you could cancel when you already had them.

I encourage you to start something like this. :)

--

That would work. And it would probably be less work for the poor people at Goulet's who have to pour ink into those teeny vials.

I was getting a monthly surprise box from "Lost Crates" for about a year, but they were too expensive for a box of stuff I never ended up using.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

The idea may be OK but I'd never do it. In case you're really looking at saving money in the end....

A. Check out all possible resources for prices incl. shipping etc.

B. Ditto as re amounts. It is often much less expensive to order 1-2-3-4-5... inks from one and the same retailer all at once than it is to do so once a month....

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I recommend you try samples before committing to a bottle a month (because, yeah, they are expensive). I've tried samples first and was happier for it. I didn't like Asa-Gao at all (boring and drippy). Fyu-syogen was very drippy and not blue enough a grey for my taste. I never got the lovely pink to orange shading that I saw in reviews of Kosumosu (and in incandescent light just looked like overripe watermelon) -- plus I got nearly the same color with PR Rose Rage for a fraction of the price. And while well behaved, Fuyu-gaki turned out to be a color I can't stand. Still trying to make up my mind about Tsutsuji, Tsukushi, and Take-sumi.

But the samples *did* make up my mind about Yama-budo and Yama-guri.... Those two I thought were definitely worth the price of full bottles (I have Yama-guri in my Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise even as we speak.... :thumbup:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Of course, it's your money, Lou -- you can spend it however you want. But I for one won't be taking part in a group buy; I nearly always try to sample first (either as a sample vial, a fill from what someone has at a pen club meeting, or at the testing table at DCSS).

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

That sounds like a darn good plan Lou. I'm after a few more of them myself, although I'm not sure what the darn I'd do with the two really pink ones long term, they'd have to be samples. I'm lucky enough to already have...er...six I think... so could participate in that months discussion and also wave the hands in my defense towards my wife to the extent of 'I've already got next months' ;) Technically I'm not allowed to buy any more inks this year except the new Herbin grey when it arrives so starting Jan 2015 would be great. As I'm in the UK I'd be purchasing by myself for myself only though.

Edited by GSteer

"...using a fountain pen should feel like riding a unicorn through a field of cupcakes during a rainstorm of scotch while eating bacon" - Dan Smith

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

I like the idea of a monthly buy, but I wouldn't participate as I'm currently saving for some mighty expensive pens. I made an unspoken agreement with myself, however, to buy a bottle of Iroshizuku to match whenever I buy a nicer pen. So far I bought Syo-ro when I got a Lamy Al-Star in Blue Green, and Yama-budo with the Al-Star in Purple. Eventually it'll be Shin-kai or Tsuki-yo with the Ocean Blue, and Kiri-same with Graphite Lamys.

The big pen I'm hoping to buy eventually is a Nakaya Ama-Iro.. and I plan to get a bottle of Iroshizuku Ama-iro to match.

Still, this sounds like it would be something fun to join in if I had the funds to do so. If many people were only interested in sample sizes, it might be that one person could buy a single bottle, divvy it up into vials, and everyone just pay that person back for the sample and shipping. Might be more difficult for those abroad, though.

The idea may be OK but I'd never do it. In case you're really looking at saving money in the end....

A. Check out all possible resources for prices incl. shipping etc.

B. Ditto as re amounts. It is often much less expensive to order 1-2-3-4-5... inks from one and the same retailer all at once than it is to do so once a month....

Mike

Those are good ideas, but I was not really considering a group buy, merely trying to organize a bunch of people to try something new together. I haven't seen much discount on these inks, or people offering bulk rates, but I haven't looked too hard. If there's enough interest, and if we can source someplace who'll arrange a quantity discount, I would consider organizing that, but didn't think it likely.

To be honest, I had just planned on being lazy and making an order from Goulets each month. Other sellers might be less expensive, but I trust the Goulets, and don't have to shop all over for it.

If folks wanted to hunt up the best price each month, we could certainly share it with each other. I know, for instance, that Staples has a few of the colors for less than the Goulets, and you can get free delivery to a store and not pay shipping. Or if you're Amazon Prime, some are less from Amazon sellers.

I recommend you try samples before committing to a bottle a month (because, yeah, they are expensive). I've tried samples first and was happier for it. I didn't like Asa-Gao at all (boring and drippy). Fyu-syogen was very drippy and not blue enough a grey for my taste. I never got the lovely pink to orange shading that I saw in reviews of Kosumosu (and in incandescent light just looked like overripe watermelon) -- plus I got nearly the same color with PR Rose Rage for a fraction of the price. And while well behaved, Fuyu-gaki turned out to be a color I can't stand. Still trying to make up my mind about Tsutsuji, Tsukushi, and Take-sumi.

But the samples *did* make up my mind about Yama-budo and Yama-guri.... Those two I thought were definitely worth the price of full bottles (I have Yama-guri in my Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise even as we speak.... :thumbup:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Of course, it's your money, Lou -- you can spend it however you want. But I for one won't be taking part in a group buy; I nearly always try to sample first (either as a sample vial, a fill from what someone has at a pen club meeting, or at the testing table at DCSS).

Saving money is nice, but wasn't my primary goal. I'm just trying to avoid the sticker shock of twenty bottles of $30 ink, and spread it out. I thought it might be interesting if other people wanted to try it at the same time so we could get a little buzz going about that color.

Anyone who wants to play along can, for as many or as few months as they like. If you're more comfortable with a sample, get samples!

Personally, I've found samples frustrating. I hesitate to use them, because then I'm out. I don't get a chance to see them in more than one or two pens. Then I'm out. I wind up hoarding half a mililiter of ink, because I might need it. With a bottle, I am happy to use it in all sorts of strange ways.

And if I really hate it, I can share it out as samples or PIF it along.

One of the things I want to do is keep at least one pen inked with the month's color for most if not all of the month. As I refill pens every day or three, I hope to try several pens over the course of the month, and to use more than one sample's worth.

That sounds like a darn good plan Lou. I'm after a few more of them myself, although I'm not sure what the darn I'd do with the two really pink ones long term, they'd have to be samples. I'm lucky enough to already have...er...six I think... so could participate in that months discussion and also wave the hands in my defense towards my wife to the extent of 'I've already got next months' ;) Technically I'm not allowed to buy any more inks this year except the new Herbin grey when it arrives so starting Jan 2015 would be great. As I'm in the UK I'd be purchasing by myself for myself only though.

PM me the ones you've got and I'll see if we can start with those. :)

I'm making a list of What Inks When, but I'm slow and trying to do it in off moments at work. I also want to keep the seasons close to correct (no getting Old Man Winter in August, for example) and to avoid getting variants of the same color month after month. It'd be easy to wind up with three blues in a row, which would be less fun. At least, in my definition of fun.

--

Personally, I've found samples frustrating. I hesitate to use them, because then I'm out. I don't get a chance to see them in more than one or two pens. Then I'm out. I wind up hoarding half a mililiter of ink, because I might need it. With a bottle, I am happy to use it in all sorts of strange ways.

It sounds like a fun idea, just like a book club as TinySnail mentioned above.

I feel the same about ink samples and am afraid of using them all up. I also have a backlog of samples to try... which is the reason why I had to cancel my Ink Drop subscription.

I don't think my local Staples in Cupertino carries any Iroshizuku inks.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

I don't think my local Staples in Cupertino carries any Iroshizuku inks.

No, but I've had them delivered to that store from the web site instead of paying shipping.

Edited by Lou Erickson

--

If I may suggest, why not do something like the CRVs - Co-Razy-Views.

You could announce .... hey next month, I'm buying this color... Hypothetically, let's pick Yama-Budo.

When Y-B arrives, you write a few letters (on only 1/2 the page) and mail those letters out to others who want to compare their Y-B and writing with yours.

You pass around the letters and post them.

By announcing a head of time, those of us who already have the ink could play too, or, those of us with samples could play.... or we would have enough time to buy the ink or sample so we could still play.

What do you think?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

If I may suggest, why not do something like the CRVs - Co-Razy-Views.

You could announce .... hey next month, I'm buying this color... Hypothetically, let's pick Yama-Budo.

When Y-B arrives, you write a few letters (on only 1/2 the page) and mail those letters out to others who want to compare their Y-B and writing with yours.

You pass around the letters and post them.

By announcing a head of time, those of us who already have the ink could play too, or, those of us with samples could play.... or we would have enough time to buy the ink or sample so we could still play.

What do you think?

I think a note a couple of weeks in advance of what is next is a great idea. I was thinking that for the same reasons you suggested, to let people who have the ink and want to join in dig it out and clean a pen, or to let people order it - as bottles or samples, as they prefer. Anyone who has the inclination or just likes that month's color could join in for that month. Nobody has to do it all the time, or get colors they're sure are never going to make them happy.

I have seen some of the CRVs, but don't know the logistics of how they work. Not sure how to swap addresses, etc. How are the CRVs done? It sounds like a neat idea, though!

I had planned on doing one of my usual ink sample sheets - on which I use all the sizes of the Lamy nibs - and using the ink in varying pens to do my daily writing. Those scans would all go up. Would that be best in the same thread about the month's ink, or a new thread for it over in the ink scans forum? I was thinking one thread where everyone posted and discussed it, but it would turn in to a pile of conversation, reviews, and scans, which have three different forums.

--

I keep thinking, "I want all the Iroshizuku inks!" Then I put them in a shopping cart, and wince because it's expensive.

A thought came to me: What if I bought one a month? I can afford one a month. I could make an effort to keep it in one pen all month, to really get a feel for it, and use more than a single fill.

When I'm done, two years later, I'll have the whole set of shiny bottles and glorious colors.

Which will give me plenty of time to clear off a shelf to keep them all in. :)

I am planning on writing up a list of inks and months to try them in so that they're sort of seasonally aligned.

Does anyone want to join me in this goofiness? Would it be more fun to try out things at the same time as other people do?

All I'm going to do is order a bottle a month. If you don't want to order a whole bottle, a sample would be enough to try it out. Or, if you've already got that bottle, you could ink some up and give it a shot.

What do you all think? Sound like fun, or just silly, or plain stupid?

Not since I discovered Sailor inks. @____¥

But you're right. It does sound like fun!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I think a note a couple of weeks in advance of what is next is a great idea. I was thinking that for the same reasons you suggested, to let people who have the ink and want to join in dig it out and clean a pen, or to let people order it - as bottles or samples, as they prefer. Anyone who has the inclination or just likes that month's color could join in for that month. Nobody has to do it all the time, or get colors they're sure are never going to make them happy.

I have seen some of the CRVs, but don't know the logistics of how they work. Not sure how to swap addresses, etc. How are the CRVs done? It sounds like a neat idea, though!

I had planned on doing one of my usual ink sample sheets - on which I use all the sizes of the Lamy nibs - and using the ink in varying pens to do my daily writing. Those scans would all go up. Would that be best in the same thread about the month's ink, or a new thread for it over in the ink scans forum? I was thinking one thread where everyone posted and discussed it, but it would turn in to a pile of conversation, reviews, and scans, which have three different forums.

PM me your address. I'm uploading the scans right now. I'll mail the pages to you.

What I did when I started, was I posted the CRV and then asked on the thread for volunteers. I've made some great friends that way.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Okay, here is the letter I'm sending to you....

well, here is the first page

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_1586.jpg

the rest can be seen here where I added it to my regular review.

Oh, my!

That is cool - and I shall reply right away.

I'm not sure I have the time and organization to write responses to a lot of people each month, although it sounds like fun.

Maybe we could distribute the load?

If people would like to send half-page-wide reviews, and would be okay with my forwarding them to someone else who'd send in a review, we might get some takers. If they don't want to share an address or don't feel they can reply in a timely way, they're welcome to just post a scan of their writing. I can forward the messages along, so everyone doesn't get everyone's address, if that's what people want.

I've put together a list of inks and months and colors, so that the colors sort of match the seasons, and we don't have two blues in a row. If anyone has any particular order they'd like, PM me. I'll try and stall a day or two to get input on colors and write up a long "How I Hope This Works" message to kick it all off...

My thought is to post a message a week or two before the start of a month saying, "Iroshizuku of the Month for October 2014" where I name the color and let people decide if they want to participate. On or near the first, I'll post a thread in Ink Scans with my writing sheet and any notes, and we'll be off. Conversation can happen in the first thread, and we'll collect all the scans of that same color in the others. If folks are doing the Co-Razy-View, they can go there too, or start their own Co-Razy thread.

Does that sound doable to everyone?

If several people chime in, we'll have a great conversation. And if they don't, I'll talk to myself. I'm clearly willing to do that. :)

--