Yellow Ink

Charles Skinner

I seem to have progressed fairly quickly "in the world of fountain pen ink," after many, many years of using only black ink, and I am enjoying the ride! I have just about all of the basic colors, except yellow. I have read many reviews, and, in my opinion, there is a theme that runs through most of these yellows. It is, --- that the yellow ink usually do not "stand out," and jump off of the page, so to speak. Some have even said that certain yellows are hard to read after drying. So, do you know of a yellow that could be used on a somewhat daily basis that has a bright yellow color, a color that seems to say ---- "Look at me!"

Suggestions are needed. I am too "cheap" to buy ink that I will not use on a regular basis, so I need advice.

C. S.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndrewC

• swanjun

• Sandy1

• hbdk

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of yellow ink is very hard to read in any quantity on a page. Hard on the eyes. Having gotten letters from friends I can attest to this. That said, I do not have any yellow ink, but I would point you to Goulet Pens, where they have a tool that allows you to compare colors, as well as a sample buying program that helps spending money on ink you find you do not want.

http://www.gouletpens.com/Shop_All_Ink_Samples_s/976.htm

HTH.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

You will be hard pressed to find a "real" yellow ink that can be usable for day to day writing. May I suggest GOLD ??

I do loooove Gold and I think is an elegant ink.. You can easily use DeAtramentis Gold, Sailor Shinkaichi Gold and KWZI Old Gold..

Shinkaichi Gold

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/270854-shinkaichi-gold-sailor-nagasawa-kobe-no-22/

KWZI - Old Gold

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/272966-old-gold-kwzi/

Edited by Cyber6

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Sheaffer King's Gold (long discontinued but still pops up on eBay occasionally) is my favorite yellow. It's on the amber side, and is definitely legible after drying.

I've been thinking of trying out Diamine Amber, another darkish yellow, but haven't yet done so.

I love, and use, Diamine Sunshine yellow. Readability depends which paper you use it on though - a much more absorbent letterwriting paper makes it so much easier to read this ink rather than a smooth paper like Rhodia dotpad - and a thick-ish nib is necessary (Lamy M at least)

I've written letters using Crown Mill cream laid paper and had no complaints at all, even when I asked for feedback as the letter was to a child and I didn't want to make reading things more difficult for him! :)

Edited by Floreat

UK-based pen fan. I love beautiful ink bottles, sealing wax, scented inks, and sending mail art. Also, thanks to a wonderful custom-ground nib by forum member Bardiir, I'm currently attempting calligraphy after years of not being able to do so due to having an odd pen-grip :D

Samples... let me suggest you buy samples of yellows before you buy bottles.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Samples are a good way to go. I have tried a good number of yellows this way. If you want a pure yellow, you will probably need to sacrifice on the papers and nib combinations you can use.

Can you describe in more detail what you are looking for? How willing are you to depart from pure yellow? Such as to gold tones or yellow-black?

I've been using some Rohrer and Klinger Helianthus recently. It darkens off as it dries, so becomes easier to see. It will never have a brilliant contrast with a white page, because it's too close in colour. But it's certainly legible.

Pens: LAMY Safari Medium Nib with Delta Blue in converter, Bright Yellow LAMY Safari Fine Nib with R&K Helianthus in converter and a Baoer 051 with Deep Dark Purple in, you guessed it, a converter...

Hi,

Member Floreat has shared some very useful information.

With Yellow ink, there is very little contrast in value (light - dark) with the paper, so one needs to enhance the ink-to-paper colour contrast. As we're using dyes, not pigments, the ink cannot fully suppress / cover the base-tint of the paper.*

If possible, try to use an absorbent paper that is of low brilliance - not pure glistening White, and has a low dose of [florescent] optical brightening agents.

In addition to the Crown Mill Creme mentioned by Floreat, I found that paper such as the G Lalo Verge de France White, which has a Natural White base-tint, the texture of a laid paper, and high resistance to bleed-through is another good pick. The 90gsm Rhodia 'R' is a contender. Ye olde airmail paper and onionskin are excellent dance partners. One might also consider papers for sketching / watercolour painting. Oddly enough, some of the cheap & nasty dirty white copy/print papers gave pretty good readability, though were plagued by bleed-through and didn't give such a crisp line.

There seemed to be little to be gained from shading, so I suggest a fully inked line.

I found that a large hand with a wide mono-line nib, and increased row/line spacing also helped readability.

The Yellow ink I chose to use for writing is Noodler's Firefly, designated as a high-lighter ink. The other Yellow inks I sampled were combined with Magenta to give Red inks, but weren't invited back. (So sorry.)

If readability is still a problem, adding just a whisper of a warm Brown ink, such as the Pelikan 4001, can nudge the hue+chroma just enough to raise the ink-to-paper colour contrast, yet the ink can still appear quite Yellow.

Bye,

S1

__ __

* Depending on many things, one might consider the Magic Color acrylic inks. They run well in the [expendable] fountain pens I've paired them with. Make no mistake: they have the overhead of requiring enhanced vigilance and are high maintenance inks. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/229391-magic-color-acrylic-pigment-inks/?p=2455726 and http://www.saa.co.uk/paint-colour/acrylic-paint-ink/magic-color-acrylic-ink

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Diamine makes a Jade Green that is very very yellow green, It shades a lot, and depending on flow and nib width it varys from green to out and out yellow (but a nice readable yellow). Might be worth taking a look at that.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

I just got a bottle of Diamine Amber, and am really digging it. I bought it to mix my own inks in actuality, but I find it to be perfectly legible after testing it out on its own. It's more of a golden-orange-yellow than a pure yellow, I suppose. Really lovely shading.