• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• setriode

• Cryptos

• robert1962

That seller had a beautiful coral restoration up, that ended about $266. I have the same questions as you. Are these really worth that much?

Beats me. I have two Valiants (one maybe working, one not) and a Statesman that I got repaired at DCSS. And they didn't cost anything like this. Combined. Including the repairs, and the expected repairs on the one Valiant. Maybe 1/5th the current bid on the one in the listing....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I'll go out on a limb here - no.

That a single example, for some reason, may show activity at this level....

Should it continue - should it become a trend, I'll join in - as a seller!

Bob

Shouldn't phonics be spelled with an f?

That seller is super popular. Most of his pens are photographed so nicely that they end up going for more than street value. He's an amazingly nice and professional seller with great products, and I've gotten a few things from him, but I've NEVER gotten a good deal.

Sometimes he's got stuff that I just have to have though. I think I ended up paying close to $200 USD for a factory broad nib on an open nibbed, all gold Sheaffer. That's an outrageous price for a regular snorkel with a single toned nib, but the B2 was worth it.

That seller and a couple of others always have runaway auctions on perfectly ordinary pens. As a result, because I am a suspicious guy, I don't even bother looking at them anymore. It can all get a bit silly on the eBay at times. There is nothing special about the pen in that auction and if you look at the bidding details, well, the current highest bidder (at over $500) has no bidding history to speak of. Go figure.

That seller and a couple of others always have runaway auctions on perfectly ordinary pens. As a result, because I am a suspicious guy, I don't even bother looking at them anymore. It can all get a bit silly on the eBay at times. There is nothing special about the pen in that auction and if you look at the bidding details, well, the current highest bidder (at over $500) has no bidding history to speak of. Go figure.

Well, you never know. The current high bidder may have some really sentimental reason for wanting that pen at any cost -- say, it was just like the one his grandfather used to write with; maybe it's even the same pen.

Or the bidder could just be some clueless noob who thinks "Oh, the price is really high -- must be a really valuable pen...."

If I ever drop that much cash on a pen, it's not gonna be on a Snorkel. Hell, it's not even gonna be on a Parker 51 (and for me to be able to want to spend anything like that much money on a pen it had better be something REALLY remarkable like a restored NOS Burgundy Shadow Wave in mint condition, or a Yard-o-Led Viceroy Victorian).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I'll say this, whoever comes in as runner-up should consider himself/herself lucky...

:lol:

I can only hope my Statesman that I have up there does even remotely well.

To the runner-up, take heart. This seller has other Snorkels currently listed. Be careful, though, as all it will take is yet another sentimentalist to get one of those up to the stratosphere.

For what its worth, I looked - over 200 items listed as snorkels currently on the Bay. Throw out mis-attributions, parts, PFMs and etc, probably leaving a good 100, with more than a few of those roughly matching the pen in question. Plenty of supply.

I next looked at sold listings arranged highest to lowest. A Solid Gold set and a N.O.S Demonstrator sold for more than $565.00, but that's it. As it turns out, the highest-priced Snorkels that were not Solid Gold, Demonstrators, or PFMs were sold by him. They were both common varieties, with flaws noted.

Bob

Shouldn't phonics be spelled with an f?

I was pondering that very thing. One guy with 4 previous bids, being egged on by someone with 2545... that does not sound right at all. It's a very shiny example, but the masking on the point is going wrong (possibly from polishing), and it's not like it's a particularly exciting model, like a Masterpiece or something with a flexible music point.

Looking at some of the other strangely over-market Snorkels this fellow has sold, it looks like the same experienced guy has been involved in the bidding. When the prices are rational, he seems to not appear. :glare: I smell, if not a rat, a rather sinister mouse....

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Thank you for your responses. I too have bought from this seller in the past but for reasonable money. His restorations certainly look very good but this price and the bidding activity are ridiculous.

It is reassuring to know that you share my view.

i just gave one of these away (as a favor returned---but it wasnt a $600 favor)---two bidders are noobs, one under 20 transactions, one under 10---the other 2 bidders have over 900 and over 2500 trans, respectively

i'm with ernst on this one...something doesnt smell right, and someone is going for an expensive ride here, and i'll bet it isnt one of the more experienced bidders

Edited by mark e

My bet is on the 4-feedback bidder retracting his last bid and sticking the 2545-feedback bidder with the $501.50 price. I'd be moderately surprised with a selling price of $250, I can't believe $500.

@arts_nibs

There are a number of sellers like this and I have to think it is the photography that makes these pens go for crazy prices.

But almost 300$ more than the highest mint pricing expected?

I wonder if he's ever been burned from people getting it in their hands and it doesn't "Shine" like it does under his light tent.

Is the 2545-feedback bidder obliged in any way should a retraction happen?

Yes, it's essentially as if the retracted bid never occurred. eBay has rules to prevent this shill bidding, but it happens.

@arts_nibs