Anyone In The Uk Seen The Bic Promotion To Win £10 For Totally Finishing One Bic Crystal?

aussielondon

They're probably just very confident that either people don't write enough by hand these days to use up one of their pens, or that most people will lose them before they've been emptied. And while the electric mixer idea's nice, will the mixer exert enough pressure to get the ink flowing in the first place? As for the syringe, I'll need one humongously long needle to empty a BIC, that's assuming the syringe can cope with the thick gloop they call ink.

Personally I think I'll pass on the challenge, I'm not convinced the final hourly wage is worth it... how many hours does it take to empty one anyway?

in school as I am the creative (destructive) type, I learned I could take off the nib by slowly twisting and then getting out the nib plus tube with ink, then from there you can take off the nib from the inner ink tube using the same twisting method, and the ink flows out.... if this can be done then the nib can be put back on and after some washing and cosmetic adjustments then it can look normally used?

My question is how can they really know if someone did this or not?

Edited by aussielondon

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussielondon

• Icywolfe

• Komitadjie

• I.M.

While reading this thread, I was thinking there must be some way to rig it so that it is automated instead of having to write by hand. Looks like you found the way to do this! :)

Otherwise it wouldn't be worth my time or effort to do it by hand. Besides, I'm on the wrong side of the Pond.

Mail them over here :P

But yeah I am not gonna scribble that long, I will cheat obviously :) I am smart enough to use a fountain pen so I am not one to follow rules haha.

I will carefully drain the ink without showing signs of damage on the pen or any of its parts... then see if it is accepted ;)

Edited by aussielondon

Just take off the tip section then blow from the other end. It will force all the ink out. I did this so many times when a I was younger.

#Nope

Just take off the tip section then blow from the other end. It will force all the ink out. I did this so many times when a I was younger.

But in the terms and conditions they say the pen must not be tampered with in any way... you think they can honestly tell if the method you suggest is used?

I did the same thing when i was young too, but i didn't blow, i would just let it drip out by tapping it on the table or putting the end of a paperclip in the end the nib was to make the ink come out, but same principle anyway.

Edited by aussielondon

I amused myself by shortening them, personally. Remove the "point" section from the clear body, cut the ink tube off just above the ink level (I'd usually use half-used ones for this reason), then use a hobby saw to cut down the hard plastic body to an appropriate length, some sandpaper to clean the cut end if necessary, then press the point section back in. Done right, it looks like it's factory. Leave a couple of those laying around, and watch the odd faces you get!

Right, I got my pack of 10 Bic Cristals for £2 (got the assorted color inks pack of 4 blue, 2 black, 2 red and 2 green) and gonna give this a crack! :D

It's not really so much for the money as it is that I want to succeed at this haha

in school as I am the creative (destructive) type, I learned I could take off the nib by slowly twisting and then getting out the nib plus tube with ink, then from there you can take off the nib from the inner ink tube using the same twisting method, and the ink flows out.... if this can be done then the nib can be put back on and after some washing and cosmetic adjustments then it can look normally used?

My question is how can they really know if someone did this or not?

Reading this post gave me a flashback to Elementary School days. I was probably about 9, I remember wanting to use a feather I found as a quill so bad that I cut a bic in half to try and get some ink. I remember trying to empty the tube (unsuccessfully into a small plastic container) to dip into.. I guess I have been interested in non-ballpoint pens longer than I realized.

Reading this post gave me a flashback to Elementary School days. I was probably about 9, I remember wanting to use a feather I found as a quill so bad that I cut a bic in half to try and get some ink. I remember trying to empty the tube (unsuccessfully into a small plastic container) to dip into.. I guess I have been interested in non-ballpoint pens longer than I realized.

Haha, I wasn't that destructive, but I tried to put water down the back of the tube and mess about and all.

But my god aren't Bic pens piles of garbage!

I am only doing this challenge thing as I want to say I did it and I want to basically have Bic paying me £10 when I spend only £2 on the pack of pens... essentially they are paying me to use their pens haha!

Ugh, no thank you. With all the writing you'd have to do to use one up (the normal way that is), it would take away from being able to use pens that are actually pleasurable to write with...the money just isn't worth it. And Bic KNOWS its possible to use them up, they just want to create awareness for the product...

Ugh, no thank you. With all the writing you'd have to do to use one up (the normal way that is), it would take away from being able to use pens that are actually pleasurable to write with...the money just isn't worth it. And Bic KNOWS its possible to use them up, they just want to create awareness for the product...

Yeah, awareness alright, awareness that the product is terrible, haha

Yeah, awareness alright, awareness that the product is terrible, haha

You mean their product is lose-able.

The only times I finished a Bic stick was at home which I wrote for a week non stop. (My hand needed a vacation soon after maybe a hosoital would've been nice too. But arriving at a hospital and telling the front desk that your right wrist only hurts and they see you that you are a male.... you can only hold laughter for so long.)

If I take it out of my house it's never coming back in. Some guy always takes it.

#Nope

You mean their product is lose-able.

The only times I finished a Bic stick was at home which I wrote for a week non stop. (My hand needed a vacation soon after maybe a hosoital would've been nice too. But arriving at a hospital and telling the front desk that your right wrist only hurts and they see you that you are a male.... you can only hold laughter for so long.)

If I take it out of my house it's never coming back in. Some guy always takes it.

HAHHAHAHAA @ wrist aching at hospital thing :D

I know people steal them, but I would just not let anyone borrow it, I would carry 4 others to lend to people and keep my pen I am working on hidden and lie and say I don't have a pen or that it won't work if someone wants to borrow it.

But this is why I am working out the ways, I know how to get something done without following rules, and they say that no damage must be evident on the pen... key word "evident" so i could slowly and careful take the pen apart that will show no damage when i reassemble it without them knowing I tampered with the pen.

I am almost torn between scribbling the ink out while watching TV onto a newspaper, or trying to get this past them after taking apart the pen to drain the ink then reassembling it without them knowing.

Btw, I think that in the comment section after I win I will write that Bic should make a cartridge or piston fountain pen, haha... but seriously, they should try. As far as I am aware they do not have a FP (apart from the disposable one)?

Oh I found this... looks like some Bic employees were told to make reviews :P

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BiC-Disposable-Fountain-Pen-Box/dp/B002YNU5LA#customerReviews

Edited by aussielondon

If they ask you what is your FPN username is. Don't answer them.

lol, you think Bic will try to shut down FPN?

Apparently people say Bics fountain pens are good, did you check the link in my above post? (I edited it after you posted)

The Bic Fountain Pens disposable s are pretty good. I have about 7 of those on my desk and I give those away instead of the Varsity now a days.

I give a thumbs up to what Bic is doing their FPs are about 3 bucks cheaper than Varsity so they are a great gateway pen.

#Nope

The Bic Fountain Pens disposable s are pretty good. I have about 7 of those on my desk and I give those away instead of the Varsity now a days.

I give a thumbs up to what Bic is doing their FPs are about 3 bucks cheaper than Varsity so they are a great gateway pen.

That's it, I think that with a cheap disposable entry level fountain pen, it could get more people over to our side, and Bic is the largest pen manufacturer in the world (for better or worse) so they have the power to market it.

After people start liking using a Bic then maybe they can move up in the world of the fountain pen.

Better yet what is making Bic stick to making everything that is disposable (like razors and pens etc)... can't they use the Gillette business model for one line of fountain pen, by selling the pen cheap at a loss and then selling the cartridges for profit?

Edited by aussielondon

It's only taken about 20 minutes of scribbling to use up about 2cm of ink....

CHECK OUT MA BLOG! www.inkredibleblog.wordpress.com

It's only taken about 20 minutes of scribbling to use up about 2cm of ink....

I was scribbling with my left hand while browsing the net with the right the other evening and I ended up using 70% or so of the ink from a new Bic Cristal!!!

I think it was over the space of 2 hours or so.

I was scribbling with my left hand while browsing the net with the right the other evening and I ended up using 70% or so of the ink from a new Bic Cristal!!!

I think it was over the space of 2 hours or so.

It really doesn't take that long does it?

Bic must be really desperate.

CHECK OUT MA BLOG! www.inkredibleblog.wordpress.com