Do You Ever Just 'binge' Sometimes?

KBeezie

Be it inks, accessories or pens themselves...

This weekend was another small binge moment for me, haven't had a bad run like that since I started out with the cheaper chinese pens (which are much much easier to binge on). I have 6 pens coming to me, well one already got to me and it went right back out to my restoration guy.

• Pilot Elite Lady (~80s) both metal cap and end cap with a silverish color an embroidery type of engraving, and a coral pink section with an 18K Fine
  • Pilot Elite (~70s) Black, much like my Pilot Elite Mini, but with an 18K Posting Nib
  • Sailor (~60s, 70s maybe), White/Silver body/cap/section with gold faint stars on it, like a sailor copy of the Pilot Elite Mini, with a 14K Sailor-2 "507 jis-mark" nib.
  • Platinum PTL-10000 Red (new) with an 18K Medium
  • Bexley Jitterbug (JukeBox Red), Fine Nib (tuned)
  • Sheaffer Tuckaway Valiant Vac, Gold Pearled Striated, 1945~1947, 2-tone Lifetime triumph nib, currently out for full restoration (the 'before picture', which I'll take the same shot when it comes back)

Two of them was a case of, I won what I wanted the most already, and was expecting people to outbid me on the others since the max bid I set was what I considered quite low.

I already have the following ...

Vintage (pre-60s)

• Sheaffer MiLady Balance ('39-41) in Striated Carmine + EF Feathertouch
  • *Sheaffer Craftsman Lever ('47-49) in Persian Blue + Monotone #33 EF Nib
  • Sheaffer Touchdown Admiral ('51) in Evergreen Green + Feathertouch Accounting Nib
  • Sheaffer Touchdown Statesman ('50-'51) in Persian Blue + 2-tone 14K Fine
  • Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral in Burgundy + Monotone 14K Fine
  • *Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral in Black + Monotone 14K M2 Medium
  • Parker 51 Vac (1948 Q1, Nib 1950), Cordovan Brown, 1/8 14K Gold Filled Cap, 14K Fine-Medium Nib
  • *1958 "Ultra" syringe filler (american store brand I'd imagine)
  • Eversharp Skyline Demi (Army/Navy wide band derby Cap, Navy blue body), 14K Fine~EF nib
  • Eversharp Skyline (Burgundy, Black/Green Cap), 14K Fine Nib

Vintage-ish (60s-90s)

• Pilot Elite Mini (~70s), Black, 18K Soft Fine
  • Montblanc 225 (Piston, ~70s), Black Body, Platinated Cap, 14K Japanese-Sized EF with Platinum Coating
  • Pelikan M250 (Piston, Black, '92-'96), 14K Medium

Modern

• Pilot Petit1, Steel Fine
  • Pilot Vanishing Point (Blue Carbonesque), 14K Fine
  • *Pilot Vanishing Point (Black Carbonesque), 18K Medium
  • Platinum Century 3776 (Bourgogne), 14K Medium
  • *Platinum PTL-5000 (Black + Maki-e), 14K Extra-Fine
  • Lamy Safari (Charcoal Black), EF, F, 1.9
  • Faber-Castell BASIC (Leather), Fine
  • Monteverde Invincia Deluxe Nighthawk (v1), Goulet EF
  • Kaweco AL Sport (Raw), Medium
  • *Jinhao 599 (Orange)
  • *Jinhao 159, Goulet 2-tone Medium
  • *Uranus KSF-301 (Blue/Silver)
  • Noodler's Ahab Flex (Black)

The * marked ones are ones I'm either selling or planning to get rid of.

I was hoping to get rid of a few before I went on a binge like that again, just seemed tempting to pass up and then one thing led to another. Then AFTER the binge I saw a very lovely Namiki Custom in a wood finish and a 18K Fine nib, and was thinking if I hadn't just bought 6 pens I'd so grab that...

Hi, I'm Karl and I have a problem...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• Icywolfe

• Elyptic

• gweimer1

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some vintage pens coming..... Because I wanted to own a lever filler. And a added plus I got myself a Waterman. I knew I never can afford a current day Waterman so I got a vintage one.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

I got some vintage pens coming..... Because I wanted to own a lever filler. And a added plus I got myself a Waterman. I knew I never can afford a current day Waterman so I got a vintage one.

-_- you could have bought the the persian Blue Craftsman off me... lol.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/sheaffer_trio/uncapped.jpg

:D Anywho, which Waterman did you get?

-_- you could have bought the the persian Blue Craftsman off me... lol.

:D Anywho, which Waterman did you get?

Man those pens looks like it was never used.

The pen I bought is a Waterman Medalist. I have no clue what type of pen is that. But it's Waterman. One of the oldest pen company's pen. But the last second bidder was a damn troll. Tried to out bid me in the last 10 seconds. Some cow poop. (But I timed my bidding at the last second so I win. =D) I wonder did I steal the pen from somebody here. (That is why I'm not gonna show the ebay link, and I don't want people stalking my ebay account to troll bid me.)

But from the info on FPN. I think I'm getting a Franken pen. Not sure.

I'm getting another vintage pen because of what I can say as "fail bidding" I bidden more on 2 pens thinking if I don't get one I'll get the other and in the end I gotten both....

Also how do you know if the sac needs to be replaced?

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

Also how do you know if the sac needs to be replaced?

Usually the easiest sign of it, is if the lever doesn't move at all or is extremely stiff to indicate the sac as hardened or become crushed powder etc. If the lever moves freely with no resistance at all, the sac could be deteriorated, if it's somewhat in the middle, you do a water test first. To see if it can take up water, and if it does, if it leaks out of the lever hole etc.

If it has not been restored and likely has original sacs, then you'll most likely need to replace the sac once you know the correct size and length (plus get some of the other tools like some sac cement, talc powder, etc).

Most of the lever fillers I've come across only need a couple hours of soaking in warm water to help loosen up the section since it's basically a friction fit sometimes sealed with a sealant/glue or little bit of shellac which can be loosened with the soaking. But some pens like those watermans (which I have no experience with) especially the older metal bodied ones can be extremely difficult to get apart without damaging the pen.

Pens like esterbrooks, sheaffer craftsman lever, balance lever fillers, touchdowns, etc are very easy to swap the sac out on, and usually rather easy to clean out if it's not all corroded or rusted or warped.

Of the lever fillers, these two are my prettiest, The MiLady Balance had chew marks on both the cap and barrel, and some minor cracks until Sean fixed it up for me.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/carminebalance/uncapped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/eversharp_skyline_demi/uncapped.jpg

Edited by KBeezie

Usually the easiest sign of it, is if the lever doesn't move at all or is extremely stiff to indicate the sac as hardened or become crushed powder etc. If the lever moves freely with no resistance at all, the sac could be deteriorated, if it's somewhat in the middle, you do a water test first. To see if it can take up water, and if it does, if it leaks out of the lever hole etc.

If it has not been restored and likely has original sacs, then you'll most likely need to replace the sac once you know the correct size and length (plus get some of the other tools like some sac cement, talc powder, etc).

Most of the lever fillers I've come across only need a couple hours of soaking in warm water to help loosen up the section since it's basically a friction fit sometimes sealed with a sealant/glue or little bit of shellac which can be loosened with the soaking. But some pens like those watermans (which I have no experience with) especially the older metal bodied ones can be extremely difficult to get apart without damaging the pen.

Pens like esterbrooks, sheaffer craftsman lever, balance lever fillers, touchdowns, etc are very easy to swap the sac out on, and usually rather easy to clean out if it's not all corroded or rusted or warped.

Of the lever fillers, this is my prettiest, it had chew marks on both the cap and barrel, and some minor cracks until Sean fixed it up for me.

I think I might send the pen to some person who can redo the sac if the sac is broken. It would be bad if I break a vintage pen. 1 less pen in the circulation.

Who is Sean?

---------

This might be the last dip into vintage pens, as it's very confusing in what documentation does a pen have.

#Nope

Reason why haven't since July is I have 3 pens I need to sell first and my next pen is going to cost close to £100. I have neither £100 for pens or sold my other pens so I'm just going to have to wait until early next year.

Just enjoy the buzz of the binge as it happens. Afterwards there's always only remorse - until you get an opportunity to do something with your hoard, e.g. when you have a new ink and need a fresh pen for it. We live for such moments.

• Sheaffer Tuckaway Valiant Vac, Gold Pearled Striated, 1945~1947, 2-tone Lifetime triumph nib, currently out for full restoration (the 'before picture', which I'll take the same shot when it comes back)

I recently bought a Tuckaway in the same color, except mine is without the clip. It was way smaller than i excepted but also a really beautiful pen. The vac fill is not working on mine, so i was just wondering what your cost was to get a full restoration if you don't mind answering?

I recently bought a Tuckaway in the same color, except mine is without the clip. It was way smaller than i excepted but also a really beautiful pen. The vac fill is not working on mine, so i was just wondering what your cost was to get a full restoration if you don't mind answering?

Prior to '45 the Tuckies were clipless.

Pre-war you had two models (both open nib, both clipless) :

- Tuckaway which was all gold filled

- Masterpeice, solid gold

Then during the war you had 3 models, all were clipless, but also all had triumph style nibs

- Triumph Tuckaway which was a plastic pen and a gold filled cap with a wide lip

- Triumph Crest Tuckaway plastic pen, gold filled cap, and black or brown barrels

- Triumph Autograph Tuckaway, Black plastic barrel, solid gold cap

The Celluloid Tuckies with clips were post war from '45 to '47. From 48 ish to 1950 is when the Tuckies were solid colors like the Touchdown and Snorkel colors, and they switched from using Vac fillers to Touchdown fillers.

If yours looks like mine but without a clip, and has a triumph nib, you most likely have a wartime model.

Who is Sean?

To answer two questions at once.

Sean = Sean Nicholson of Write on Time Watch and Pen Restoration

For a Tuckaway Vac he normally charges $45 to restore it back to like-new condition with a 1 year warranty (which includes priority mail return shipping). Depending on the pen it can be more or less (ie: a snorkel or touchdown usually less like 35), I think vac sheaffers are a little more expensive because of the extra curing time and delicacy required on the reservoir area of the vac filler.

His specialty seems to be mostly Sheaffers (Balance, Vacs, Touchdowns, Snorkels, etc), Parker (Vacumatics and P51s), and Eversharp (Skylines, etc). He seems to work on nearly anything. My Black Snorkel Admiral, Carmine MiLady Balance, Evergreen Touchdown Admiral, and Eversharp Skyline Demi were restored by him, and every time comes back looking brand new.

Usually if I see something really interesting I check in with him for two reasons:

1) To get an idea of how much he'd charge me to restore it if it's beyond my ability or if I want a nice body work done (usually if the body condition is decent, I'll just restore it myself, I can't come close to his body work let alone be able to fix cracks, pits or misshapen barrels).

and

2) To make sure I'm not competing against him by bidding on it lol (he's snagged a few I was hoping to get before, mostly Eversharps and Skylines).

Edited by KBeezie

I tend to buy pens in bunches, followed by inks in bunches. It's actually not because I want to ink up my new pens, but because I need to "cool down" my spending spree and ink is a lot chapter than the pens I buy.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

How much is his services?

I just said in a previous post, it varies by pens filling-type, but usually anywhere from $20 up to $55, like for the Tuckaway Vac around $45, or for something like a Touchdown or Snorkel around $35, which includes the full polishing, cleaning, seals/sac/etc replaced, return shipping and 1 year warranty. You'd have to contact him on specifics.

I tend to buy pens in bunches, followed by inks in bunches. It's actually not because I want to ink up my new pens, but because I need to "cool down" my spending spree and ink is a lot chapter than the pens I buy.

Yea same here, usually in spurts, or I don't have any time to 'feel out' the new pens.
Edited by KBeezie

No binging for me until the Boston Pen Show on the 28th. My goal is to dig out a PFM, cost be thrown out the window.

I've already spent enough on pens this year overall anyway, considering my somewhat recent acquisitions of a Parker 75 cisele and a Dialog 3.

Calculating.

No binging for me until the Boston Pen Show on the 28th. My goal is to dig out a PFM, cost be thrown out the window.

I've already spent enough on pens this year overall anyway, considering my somewhat recent acquisitions of a Parker 75 cisele and a Dialog 3.

I'm not able to make it out to Pen Shows unless by some stroke of luck one gets hosted here in Grand Rapids.

I'm still on the fence for something like other Parkers, I only have a Parker 51 Vac with a gold filled cap. But the 75s look nice, but I couldn't decide on something like that or a PFM or a get a sterling silver imperial. ... or I can just go for a Pelikan 400NN since I think that's going to be roughly the same price for a restored PFM.

Thanks for taking the time to give a very informative answer :)

Mine is like yours except mine has a much bigger cap band, and clipless of course.

Great, now i know who to contact if i decide to get it restored. The price was very reasonable. The problem is shipping, that would probably double the price for me. Since the pen is so small i might get a restored Sheaffer balance in the same finish instead. Decisions, decisions...

Oh, and the binge thing... bought my first FP in mid April. Since then i have added another 18 pens.

Oh...i really wish i did not just count my pens, that was way more than i expected.

In my defense it is mostly cheap pens and some lucky vintage finds.

I binge if I can find good deals. I think I ordered eight never-used bottles of Iroshizuku a while ago from an ebay seller. Then I bought lots of OS inks from isellpens.

I'm...becoming an ink harlot (minus the ink tasting)

Edited by apkayle

Use of the word "binge" implies loss of self-control, a feeling of powerlessness to stop behavior that we know is unhealthy. It is frightening to be so powerless, and to proceed with the binging while acknowledging to ourselves that it is bad for us or our family.

In short, yes, I have binged. After a while, it isn't any fun.

Fortunately, for most of us, our pens and inks are not expensive enough to cause real damage, but the feeling of helplessness is still frightening.

I can't afford to binge purchase as the pens I buy take me months to save up for and I never buy things until I have the money for them.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

I had a minor binge over the last two weeks...

Ended up with the following:

• TWSBI 580 AL with Pendleton Butter-Line stub (M)
  • TWSBI Orange Vac 700 (M)
  • TWSBI Smoke Vac 700 (F)
  • Replacement medium nib for the 580 (sometimes you don't want a stub)
  • TWSBI Notebook
  • Four bottles of ink...

Guess I had a thing for TWSBI lately. This is probably my final shopping spree for the year (except for perhaps some ink samples or a notebook if I use up what I have).

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers ~ Voltaire