Help Me Find A Red Grading Pen

1maddog1

I spend a lot of my day grading exams and papers. I'd like a new pen for grading, colored red to match the ink (noodler's empire red). I'll use the pen on all kinds of paper, but mostly copy paper. I'd like it to have a fine or extra fine nib. I have big hands, and like a pen with a little heft, but that's not essential. The pens I use most often in my office are a Rotring Initial and Pilot Metropolitan. I like both pens a lot, and would be happy to have either in red. I don't buy expensive pens, so I'd like this to be around or less than $30.

The Kaweco Sport, Lamy Safari, Pilot 78G, Pelikan p55 would probably all do, but I'd prefer something a little heavier. Any suggestions?

I really wish the Metro came in other colors.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1maddog1

• prf5

• Diderot

• Koyote

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lamy Safari is a pink-ish red.

Why not just have a Platinum Preppy as a eye dropper filled with ink.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

A Jinhao X450 is heavier, and reddish. It's a very attractive pen. It's not quite the same as the ink, and I've only seen Medium. For a few more bucks you can replace the nib with a fine or extra-fine. And still be under budget. (Here's a redder one, from eBay.)

This Safari knock-off is pretty red.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Jinhao 599. Safe to use at school 'cause its cheap, and the red one is very red! Reasonably fine nib.

For myself, my markup pen with red ink is a Rotring Rivette. Black with red accents. Probably too cool for school... :D

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Buy a Lamy Al-Star, which is a little heavier than the Safari. Comes with a variety of nib sizes, and probably hits your budget threshold if purchased with a converter.

You might consider ditching the red ink for grading. Such a cliché. Why not something friendlier that still stands out on the paper, like a nice purple or green?

Edited by Koyote

Buy a Lamy Al-Star, which is a little heavier than the Safari. Comes with a variety of nib sizes, and probably hits your budget threshold if purchased with a converter.

You might consider ditching the red ink for grading. Such a cliché. Why not something friendlier that still stands out on the paper, like a nice purple or green?

then purple or green become unfriendly - i'll stick with red

A Parker 45 Flighter is magnum-class awesome, holds seas of ink, is heavier than it's plastic-barreled standard cousins and does very well on any paper. It is also tough enough to defend yourself with in a pinch.

[color=#444444][size=2][left]In this age of text, twitter, skype and email, receiving a good old-fashioned hand-written letter feels just like a warm hug.[/left][/size][/color][img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png[/img]

I'll echo Lou Erickson's recommendation for a Jinhao X450. It weighs 45+ grams. The price is right and several shades of red are currently available on eBay.

What about the Pilot custom heritage 91, paired with a CON-70 converter that holds more than 1ml of ink? The M or F nibs should be fine enough for you. Another pen to consider is the Kaweco Sport in Classic Sport Bordeaux Red or Ice Sport in Red, you can turn these pens into eyedroppers for greater ink capacity.The Platinum 3776 in Bourgogone is a really nice pen too, well balanced and with a comfortable girth, although smaller ink capacity than the Pilot 91.

Hi,

Perhaps a Sheaffer No Nonsense: Comes in seriously Red Red. Good girth. Robust.

Not to be mistaken for anything but what it is, and what's being done when wielding it. :rolleyes:

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

Perhaps a Sheaffer No Nonsense: Comes in seriously Red Red. Good girth. Robust.

Not to be mistaken for anything but what it is, and what's being done when wielding it. :rolleyes:

Bye,

S1

Agree, I have one on my desk and use it with Diamine Classic Red going through my students thesis etc.

Edited by Diderot

You should read the latest research on red ink and grading. It's pretty interesting.

The exam board I marked for required red, but as Koyote alludes to, there's a lot of research and theory that because students associated red with danger, criticism etc they see it as hostile (subconsciously, even if they can't spell the word :) ). The school I taught in encouraged non-red for marking. I used green mostly.

One theorist recommends pencil, which would last about three minutes before being rubbed out and altered!

Pens: I have a Kaigelu 356 (Sonnet lookalike); it's between fine and medium, surprisingly good nib and great value - about £5 including converter.

I have a Pilot 78G, red, fine nib that I use for proof reading. It has a very steady flow and the fine nib is perfect for inserting small writing here and there.

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk