Pelikan 100 - Worth Restoring?

Denizzz

Good day Everyone!

Bought a used Pelikan 100. Not sure what year model is this.. maybe 1934 with an Gunther Wagner original box.

The condition seen in the picture. The clip is in great condition, no discoloration. The filler works fine, but needs a lube. There is also a small hairline crack on the cap up till the first ring.

i am not sure about the nib, for me it looks like damaged. there is a CN stamp on the nib.

What do you think guys, is it worth investing in restoration? in your opinion what should be done and how much it would cost me to fully restore it. Or it would be easier just to sell it and try to find one in better already restored condition?

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Happy to be the part of FPN community!

post-111858-0-28459600-1410858927_thumb.jpg

post-111858-0-98948200-1410858932_thumb.jpg

post-111858-0-15585700-1410858940_thumb.jpg

post-111858-0-82235100-1410858946.jpg

post-111858-0-33921800-1410858953_thumb.jpg

post-111858-0-45316600-1410859046_thumb.jpg

Edited by Denizzz

Sincerely,

Dennis

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Denizzz

• meiers

• biancitwo

• Matlock

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's not a bad one at all !

Does it takes ink ? If I understand properly, it just need a lube ? That's really simple to do : unscrew the nib and place a tiny nut a 100% pure silicone grease inside the barrel, then just turn the knob a few times in and out to lubrificate it. This will not cost much !

If you need to change the piston seal, that's not too complicated and you can buy some easy to change seals from David Nishimura (for instance) : it's only $10 a dozen (and you need 2 for one piston repair).

Fixing the hairline crack on the cap seems very difficult (nearly impossible to me).

Replacing the nib shouldn't be too hard, as you can find quite easily "CN" nib on the bay.

So, yes, I would restore it and keep it !

By the way : it looks more like a Pelikan 100 than a 100 N ! ... :)

Edited by Xof72000

Hardly worth anything, but I am a caring person so I would be willing to pay postage just to take if off your hands.

Acutually, this is a great pen and looks like 90% of the way to being a great addition to your collection.

Lubing and nib replacement are as simple as stated above. Depending upon the severity of the cap lip crack, it may be hard to disguise or make it invisible, still it can easily be stabilized so that it does not get worse. Of course it probably goes without saying, do not post the cap on this pen when you write with it.

Edited by DrCodfish

Of course it's worth restoring.

Don't know how much....but some day restore it.

Some times restoration is cheaper than expected.

Ask for some one who can.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thank you Guys for your advices!!!

That's not a bad one at all !

Does it takes ink ? If I understand properly, it just need a lube ? That's really simple to do : unscrew the nib and place a tiny nut a 100% pure silicone grease inside the barrel, then just turn the knob a few times in and out to lubrificate it. This will not cost much !

If you need to change the piston seal, that's not too complicated and you can buy some easy to change seals from David Nishimura (for instance) : it's only $10 a dozen (and you need 2 for one piston repair).

Fixing the hairline crack on the cap seems very difficult (nearly impossible to me).

Replacing the nib shouldn't be too hard, as you can find quite easily "CN" nib on the bay.

So, yes, I would restore it and keep it !

By the way : it looks more like a Pelikan 100 than a 100 N ! ... :)

Xof72000 , yep, the pen is in working condition, takes ink, it is just the piston doesnt slide smoothly, so i think it does need to be lubricated.

risingsun, thank you for the link. great choice of CN nibs!

Hardly worth anything, but I am a caring person so I would be willing to pay postage just to take if off your hands.

Acutually, this is a great pen and looks like 90% of the way to being a great addition to your collection.

Lubing and nib replacement are as simple as stated above. Depending upon the severity of the cap lip crack, it may be hard to disguise or make it invisible, still it can easily be stabilized so that it does not get worse. Of course it probably goes without saying, do not post the cap on this pen when you write with it.

Well, the crack is a bit wider than just a hairline, but nothing big, could live with that.

Of course it's worth restoring.

Don't know how much....but some day restore it.

Some times restoration is cheaper than expected.

Ask for some one who can.

Bo Bo, i think i will try to restore it - one day.

Sincerely,

Dennis

Definitely worth restoring, but don't try doing anything yourself as these pens are very delicate. And be sure that anyone you entrust it to knows what they are doing.

Feel free to contact me if I can be of help.

What a beautiful pen! All it needs is some TLC. I wouldn't write the nib off either. . In the hands of a competent nibmeister it will come back to life.

Mike does amazing nibwork.

www.mikeitwork.com

Edited by meiers

Definitely worth restoring, but don't try doing anything yourself as these pens are very delicate. And be sure that anyone you entrust it to knows what they are doing.

Feel free to contact me if I can be of help.

Thank you rick for your reply, I thought that i would rather ship the pen to someone who would be able to restore it for me... of course depending on the price of that restoration.

i see a lot of potential here.

Meiers, thanks.

What a beautiful pen! All it needs is some TLC. I wouldn't write the nib off either. . In the hands of a competent nibmeister it will come back to life.

Mike does amazing nibwork.

www.mikeitwork.com

All it needs is some TLC. - what the TLC stands for? Would mike be able to restore it fully of just the nib? I am sorry, but i am still a rookie in the area of fountain pen restoration.

please share before and after pictures.

I will, but first i need to find someone who could do the job for me... (if of course the restoration cant be done by me). Any advices on the nib restoration meisters who could help?

Oh and by the way, is the 80$ a fair price for such a pen in such condition i have mentioned in the first post?

Edited by Denizzz

Sincerely,

Dennis

All it needs is some TLC. - what the TLC stands for?

Tender Loving Care = what we all need.

Oh, i see, thanks Matlock for the explanation!

Sincerely,

Dennis

• 4 weeks later...

Do you know any pen people locally that can help with some experience?

She could be a sweet little writer, and with a little work she'll gladly move into your shirt pock and your heart too.

Personally my vote, do it , save her!

M

http://www.maryhatay.com/Mark/Fountain-Pens/Mixed-Pens/i-qv5h3mN/0/O/atramentum%20Digitis%20small.jpg

• 3 months later...

Good day Everyone! i am sorry i have not checked the thread for long time.

In the result, i have decided to trade it for another Pelikan from the same seller. So i went with this one... However i have decided not to restore it... but to sell it and finance my other purchases.

post-111858-0-14143600-1423219893_thumb.jpg

Edited by Denizzz

Sincerely,

Dennis