A Good $50 Writer

ImperialJoe

I paid 43USD for the pen inclusive of EMS shipping and customs. I mention this in the review. HTH.

You do. But where and can you still get it for that and if not then what is the point? Why reccomend a pen you got for cheap that you can't at that price any more? Maybe my google-foo is not so hot but I am not seeing any place that has this pen, let alone for that price. He isn't asking what pen he should get with a time machine. He is asking for a recommendation he can act on now.

Anyone finding this pen for 43 skins shipped EMS?

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImperialJoe

• ink-syringe

• hari317

• KBeezie

I really like the way the Faber-Castell Basic looks. How heavy is it really?

VERY. It is a beast. I think it clocks in at 42g and unlike a lot of pens the weight is NOT in the cap. And to make things worse the weight is all in the ass of the pen so it is horribly unbalanced.

Take a pen.

Tie a rock to where you would post the cap.

That's the basic. Unwieldily, un-ergonomic.

Great construction. Pretty nice fit and finish (the grip gets dirty though). Awesome nib. Great price.

I take pages and pages of notes. I could not deal with how much junk in the trunk there was. Weird pen. It's a shame. With a different barrel the'd have a killer pen. The LOOM too with it's impossibly slippery section.

You do. But where and can you still get it for that and if not then what is the point? Why reccomend a pen you got for cheap that you can't at that price any more? Maybe my google-foo is not so hot but I am not seeing any place that has this pen, let alone for that price. He isn't asking what pen he should get with a time machine. He is asking for a recommendation he can act on now.

Anyone finding this pen for 43 skins shipped EMS?

You sound so peeved. :)

This is a current model and you can, of course, find it easily at roughly the same price that i got it for, if you know how and where to look.

if you ask nicely, many will be prepared to help you out.

Try searching using the model number FCM-500R , you will have better success. see here for example.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/search/?sm=2&k=FCM-500R

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

You sound so peeved. :)

Not sure why you would say that. I have zero interest in the pen. Though I do think it is a little weird with all that info and a big flag waiving recommendation there isn't also info about where the OP could actually score that pen. You know, help a FPN brother out. Not me. I wasn't the one looking to score the pen. I googled didn't find that price.

if you ask nicely, many will be prepared to help you out.

Thanks, but I didn't ask because I am not the one buying the pen. I have no interest in it. I am just saying, for the OP sake. Thanks anyway.

Not sure why you would say that. I have zero interest in the pen. Though I do think it is a little weird with all that info and a big flag waiving recommendation there isn't also info about where the OP could actually score that pen. You know, help a FPN brother out. Not me. I wasn't the one looking to score the pen. I googled didn't find that price.

Thanks, but I didn't ask because I am not the one buying the pen. I have no interest in it. I am just saying, for the OP sake. Thanks anyway.

quite weird to jump in with all kinds of assumptions regarding availability and pricing especially when there is no interest.

The OP has proved perfectly capable of starting a thread, so there is no reason to believe that if they wanted more details they could not have asked here themselves without the help of a disinterested party jumping in.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I just was curious since I did not find that pen for that price (I didn't assume, I googled mostly found the pen unavailable). I also did not find a Parker 51 for $50.

Anyway asked and answered. Done with the side jack. Sorry.

Edited by ink-syringe

I just was curious since I did not find that pen for that price (I didn't assume, I googled mostly found the pen unavailable). I also did not find a Parker 51 for $50.

Anyway asked and answered. Done with the side jack. Sorry.

all right, no problem. :)

You might consider the physical size, for example the Pilot Prera is a great pen but with medium sized to large hands it is too short to use unposted, the Faber Castell Basic is a fine pen but quite heavy (fantastic nibs though), the Loom has the same nib fut the aluminium section is quite slippery, Parker are very reliable but quite boring. So I would say, first try to define size (don't forget the section/grip diameter), weight, preferred material, design style (modern, classic, flattop, cigar, slip or screw cap) and filling system. That would make it a bit easier to eliminate a few.

Then with the short list, have a look at the reviewers, SBRE brown on youtube, Brian Goulet's youtube chanel and the are more.

Without advertising to much, I think La Couronne du Comte in the Netherlands ships everything everywhere. If shopping in the US is easier, Goulet, Anderson or Fountain Pen Hospital are worth a look.

Happy hunting ;)

Thanks for the tip!

So, I want a pen that's not small, something along the lines of 5-7", maybe slightly bigger or smaller, but not a "mini" pen and not a monsterous one either. I'm okay with the pen being a little bit heavy. I currently using the Metropolitan (26g overall) which is slightly heavy but I'd take even a high quality good looking balanced heavier pen over a cheap lighther one. I don't have a specific choice of material in mind, but I do not want a plastic pen or anything that looks kind of toyish or too plain. I don't really like inlaid nibs either. I need a reliable pen that can write for long periods of time. Also, a pen with an included converter definitely has an advantage for me.

Does that help to eliminate a few candidates? I am doing some research on the pens that were presented here, but as an amatuer it is hard for me to narrow down the list.

Also, about the Faber-Castell Basic - According to the information I saw on goultepens.com, the FC Basic at 28g is only a few grams heavier than my Pilot Metropolitan, which for me at least doesn't sound all that heavy.

Though here is a serious on topic question: No one every says much about the Kaweco Student (which I mentioned earlier). $55 but with a coupon (several out there) it gets you to the $50 area shipped.

With all the dislike on the Safari (I happen to like it but understand why others don't), I wonder why folks never recommend the Kaweco Student.

What is the knock? Is it not a good pen? Folks seem really indifferent to it. I am not sure I understand why. It would seem like a good alternative for folks looking to escape the triangle grip and the Member's Only vibe of the Lamy.

SEB seemed to like it:

(not sure how to link yootoob)

http://youtu.be/QQWarOTklzg

Also the Pilot Knight at $24 is a heck of a deal. (Penchalet for one, I think Fountain Pen Hospital also has). Also a heavy pen but most of the weight is in the cap (that clip). If you don't have the compulsion to post it is nice writer.

Edited by ink-syringe

PEOPLE KEEP SAYING THIS. IF ANYONE SEES A working $50 Parker 51 PLEASE PM ME.

HOLDING MY BREATH.

I've purchased two in very nice condition for under $50.00 in the past year. I wouldn't sell them for what I paid for them... But they were both in the $40.00 range when I purchased them. No service required on either. Both were purchased on ebay.

Edited by ParkersAndPaper

Owner of many fine Parker fountain pens... and one Lamy.

I wonder why folks never recommend the Kaweco Student.

I am a great fan of (almost) everything KaWeCo but the student is essentially a large Sport, identical Bock nib range and plastic body. In the range I suggested the Allrounder which is more like an aluminium Student and is only a bit more in Dollars. In the mentioned circumstances from the TS, I could easily advise to hang on to the Metro for a while, save up and then get the Allrounder.

I am a great fan of (almost) everything KaWeCo but the student is essentially a large Sport, identical Bock nib range and plastic body. In the range I suggested the Allrounder which is more like an aluminium Student and is only a bit more in Dollars. In the mentioned circumstances from the TS, I could easily advise to hang on to the Metro for a while, save up and then get the Allrounder.

The Allrounder looks too plain for my taste.

Was under the impression that it (Parker 51) was either a permanent aerometric sac, or a vacumatic? Or if they did have a C/C one like a P45 that it would be far less common and hence rare.

The world of 51's is truly an amazing place... ;)

51_Trio.jpg

...I got that C/C 51 for $32 shipped. It later sold for $220, after the minor car accident.

Edited by White Expressions

Calculating.

One more recommendation for the Esterbrook J. The price point is right and the pens are as reliable as any pen ever made (with the possible exception of the "51"). You have a large choice of nibs that can be changed by the user. This seller does good restorations and offers fine customer service. A pen from them is as good as new when you receive it and ready to write. A little hunting on the bay will turn up others but sandy101rock is one I have dealt with several times.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Esterbrook-J-Fountain-Pen-You-Choose-Color-and-Nib-/261566020227?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce68cba83

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I have a Lamy Safari and a TWSBI Mini and would recommend either of those. Both write superb and the TWSBI Mini posted has great balance and is not small. I have large hands and it fits nicely.

Edited by Huskysibe

At least seven 51's sold on ebay for $50 or under in the past 48 hours. Buying an Aero would be a reasonably safe bet, clean and go. A Vac can be re-diaphramed for $20 by some restorers.

I second (tenth?) the comments about Esterbrooks. Resacced pens available way under $50.

Parker 45 Flighter, gold nib, is a very nice pen. Generally safe to buy a used one. Again, clean and go.

For brand new, the Levenger True Writer is a nice pen. Sign up for their mailing list to see the sales. Or refurb is available on eBay, often under $40. A nice feature is you can get replacement nibs which are easy to change.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

TWSBI Classic with shipping would be almost $70, which is a bit expensive. Is it justifiable over a Sheaffer 100 or a Monteverde Impressa? Both of them seem quite nice.

I don't know much either of those, but the main reason I'd recommend TWSBI besides the pen itself is the customer service.

If something happens to your pen, replacement parts are usually sent to you for free from TWSBI customer service.

I feel like this is a very important factor to consider when you're like me and don't have very many fountain pens. :)

Monteverde Impressa depending on the finish you will get some plating horrors I would say Sheaffer 100

Tell me Shipping to Israel huh... yeah depending on where you are things will get expensive... have you bothered looking at turkish pens? Scrikks for example

Edited by Algester