Inks You Just Can't Connect With For Some Reason.

Flaxmoore

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• KBeezie

• Lou Erickson

• tinysnail

I'm with the other poster, I have wide points. I see pink pink pink. Of course, I like pink.

Huh. And because I did not label the inks, I can't be sure which of the scans I have are Momiji. Ah well. I'll just have to do it again. Maybe in September of 2015... :)

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Huh. And because I did not label the inks, I can't be sure which of the scans I have are Momiji. Ah well. I'll just have to do it again. Maybe in September of 2015... :)

I can't believe they call it an orange.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

On topic, the ink I haven't been able to connect with is Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun AKA Old Man Winter. It's grey. It writes fine, it works fine, but it's grey. I kept thinking, "What's wrong with this pen?"

I've seen some folks around here really like it, so I wonder if it's the pen I had it in. I only had a sample.

I'll use your advice and besiege you to try it again. I just got it last week and it is by far one of my top 3 now, I think it is lovely.

Reason: If you are tired of blue-blacks, blacks, blues and greys- then this is the ink for you. Like you said, it has the grey and the blue, soothing for the eyes, reminds you of winter.. I am using it on a MB Heritage 1912 for the time being.

Akkerman Simplisties Violet. The bottle is awesome, but I'm not crazy about the behavior of the ink. The flow starts out very wet, but seems to thicken up over time and clog my pens. The color is also a little too saturated for my taste.

I'm with the other poster, I have wide points. I see pink pink pink. Of course, I like pink.

I swabbed some Momiji with an old Speedball nib in a pen holder and it was the "right" color. It seems dependent on how much lands on the paper. A fast but liquid writer comes out pink. If it weren't so PRETTY in that flacon, I'd be putting it up here for swap or sell. I have to confess to a love of art glass (my sister has the same penchant) and both the Edelstein and Iroshizuku bottles are art works. I also do not go crazy for Edelstein ink. But that bottle is beautifully executed.

I'm not able to connect to black inks. I find them ugly.

I don't know about "ugly" because I prefer writing my kanji in black ink but boring? Yeah. Boring. Why use black when there are so many appealing colors?

Inks that don't do it for me -

# 1 is the Wancher green tea whatever it is called - it makes known good pens write bad - now relegated to a dark dry place

# 2 is Noodler's Turquoise - the second Noodler ink I acquired - writes perfectly well, just something about the colour that doesn't get it in regular rotation

#3 Montblanc Midnight blue - I drew a sailor convertor full out of the ink and felt that it didn't match me - but it is a beautiful colour, so I gave it to my gf

Noodler's makes one called Whiteness of the Whale for mixing with other inks. I don't think I've seen any others.

Thanks a lot

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

Noodler's Black is just not black enough.

DeAtramentis Fir. It has "fopuntain" on the label and the scent smells so natural that it gives me headaches. I was expecting a Pinesol smell.

#Nope

I like most of my inks except maybe BBH - awful ink to me. Smells, even for noodler's, it writes bad in the couple pens I tried, it's BOOOORING looking. Good thing BBK is around and the complete opposite to me.

Let's see... the description of Quink Blue-Black is so accurate. But, given someone mentioned Whiteness of the Whale and this ink, if you mix them, you get a great teal that works pretty well. So, someday I'll use both up!

I mostly write with blue and blue-blacks. So, anything along those lines makes me happy. I for some reason cannot like the couple of PR inks I got. The purple mojo is... boring and so is the Avacado I got.

I like most of my inks except maybe BBH - awful ink to me. Smells, even for noodler's, it writes bad in the couple pens I tried, it's BOOOORING looking. Good thing BBK is around and the complete opposite to me.

Let's see... the description of Quink Blue-Black is so accurate. But, given someone mentioned Whiteness of the Whale and this ink, if you mix them, you get a great teal that works pretty well. So, someday I'll use both up!

I mostly write with blue and blue-blacks. So, anything along those lines makes me happy. I for some reason cannot like the couple of PR inks I got. The purple mojo is... boring and so is the Avacado I got.

Hmm... you might like the KWZI purple I just reviewed.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I have stopped using Waterman Serenity Blue.

I find the ink fades into a washout tone. I have already discarded two bottles thinking that they could have been bad batches, but the results have been the same. Is anybody else having the same experience?

Lately, I have moved to Sheaffer Scrip Blue. It appears to be much more saturated when dried.

I only have two pens - an Aurora Optima and others.

MB Colodie(sp) is supposed to be brownish....is a red.

Gave a way my bottle of Florida Blue as soon as I got DA Royal blue, a more lubricated ink....don't shade, but thats some times ok.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

For me, Noodlers. I don't understand the popularity or cult following they have. Every one I've tried has fowled up my pens.

It's not what you look at, but what you see when you look.

Henry David Thoreau

For me, Noodlers. I don't understand the popularity or cult following they have. Every one I've tried has fowled up my pens.

Debate starting in 3... 2... 1...

Debate starting in 3... 2... 1...

Wait, I'm trying to draw a chicken inside the pen ... you know "Fowled Up".

I've got a short list of brown samples I've used that would fall under the "can't connect with" category. Noodler's Walnut, Kiowa Pecan, Diamine Chocolate Brown, Iro Yama-guri, Platinum Mix-free Earth Brown, PR Ebony Brown. I keep trying, but I can't seem to like brown inks.

PR Ebony Purple. Smears like it was designed to on Rhodia, Clairefontaine, and Midori paper. Also, I got no purple out of it at all. Smeary black ink...

It pains me to say I just can't connect with some of the brighter greens like PR Spearmint, or R&K Verdura. Although Verdura is starting to grow on me. Oddly enough, I love Diamine Apple Glory.

So many inks, so little time...

If you doodle a few trees, brown and green become much more fun.