Montblanc Agatha Christie

JeffBeauchamp

Hey folks, I wanted to get some expert opinion on this pen I recently came into possession of that was left in a house I recently purchased. I'm probably looking to sell it, but have no idea where and how much to do it for. Any help would be appreciated.

post-116455-0-85633700-1410781592_thumb.jpg

post-116455-0-84263100-1410781600_thumb.jpg

post-116455-0-10732800-1410781610_thumb.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Trom

• KAC

• amcityink

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

that's a very fine pen you have there, one of the most sought after, especially by people who appreciate montblanc (i should warn you that many don't, but that's a whole other issue you don't need to get into).

i have two of these agatha christies and got both of them for around $1,100-1,200. the second pen had a box, which collectors value. you can find these on ebay going anywhere from $1,000 (on a good day for buyers) to $1,500, depending on condition, box, nib, etc. (there's a vermeil version that sells for considerably more; yours is sterling silver.)

you can try checking to see if it works by dipping the pen in a glass of water and turning the knob at the end of the barrel to see if it will take in and expel water. (that should also clean the insides of the pen.) you can rub the grime off the pen with a wet cloth or with jeweler's cloth, but don't overpolish; some buyers like to get their pens just this way and to do the polishing themselves. don't worry--serious collectors know what an agatha's value is, even in the rough. good luck!

Check out my blog and my pens

Welcome :-)

Very nice pen and very sought after!

In my opinion one of the most beautiful modern Montblancs.

You could do a search of "ended" and "sold" ebay items to check the c. going rate.

In case the pen does not show wear or damage and is fully working I'd say 750€ is a fair starting price for negotiations. Complete with original box and papers starting at 900€.

Depending on where you are located you could sell it on ebay or you might get offers from this forum :-)

Cheers

Michael

Or... You could try to track down the previous owner and offer to return it to him/her you can make someone really happy and grateful :) just a thought

Thanks everyone for the great advise. I had no idea this was such a sought after pen... I'm in Florida, so will probably put this up on ebay sometime this week - I think somebody else will enjoy it more than I would.

Pravda, unfortunately the previous owner passed. I never met her, but all of my new neighbors have told me she was a wonderful woman.

~Jeff

Please don't sell the pen. It's yours now and it would serve you better than the monetary reward - welcome to FPNetwork.

Why not? I would do the same (if I had that chance), since I don't like the Agatha Christie. And I would use the "monetary reward" for another object which I really like (or a plane ticket, or charity, or something else).

Before selling what you now know to be a valuable item, one which the original purchaser obviously took pride in owning (witness the case you've pictured), I would devote serious consideration to extending the courtesy of notifying him/her that the pen was left behind. Plus, there is a reasonable possibility that selling an item that you do not own (you found it) after establishing its worth might leave you liable to legal action if/when the sale or loss of the pen is noted. If you "do the right thing" and let the owner know, you'll sleep better. It's certainly a safer and less costly option compared to risking a potential charge of selling stolen goods. True?

Before selling what you now know to be a valuable item, one which the original purchaser obviously took pride in owning (witness the case you've pictured), I would devote serious consideration to extending the courtesy of notifying him/her that the pen was left behind. Plus, there is a reasonable possibility that selling an item that you do not own (you found it) after establishing its worth might leave you liable to legal action if/when the sale or loss of the pen is noted. If you "do the right thing" and let the owner know, you'll sleep better. It's certainly a safer and less costly option compared to risking a potential charge of selling stolen goods. True?

As noted above by the OP the original owner is deceased.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

This fountain pen will have a whole new meaning of the phrase "soul of the pen." Just saying.

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

As noted above by the OP the original owner is deceased.

But presumably, not his/her family, to whom it would devolve. Obviously, I'm imposing my own value standards here when I again note that I would extend the courtesy to the family. A matter of taste, I suppose.

But presumably, not his/her family, to whom it would devolve. Obviously, I'm imposing my own value standards here when I again note that I would extend the courtesy to the family. A matter of taste, I suppose.

And moral judgment.

This pen was most likely left behind unintentionally.

Edited by meiers

And moral judgment.

This pen was most likely left behind unintentionally.

And others simply don't know the value of pens like all those MB149s that seem to just show up at estate sales for cheap. (or like the one I heard of being thrown out).

Though I think your guess is probably the best guess for something like the Agatha.

:P I'd take it, but even at a discount it's WAAAY out of my price range. (plus there's the question of how long it's been in the previous person's possession, in terms of being superstitious).

Edited by KBeezie

And others simply don't know the value of pens like all those MB149s that seem to just show up at estate sales for cheap. (or like the one I heard of being thrown out).

Though I think your guess is probably the best guess for something like the Agatha.

:P I'd take it, but even at a discount it's WAAAY out of my price range. (plus there's the question of how long it's been in the previous person's possession, in terms of being superstitious).

Karma is a powerful force.

LUCKY!!!! What a find... whether you like Agatha or not, it's still a Black MB with a silver snake as the clip... way cool. Not feminine at all like the Ingrid Bergman, or female MB pens.

not right now, there aren't any, but if you wait long enough, you'll find the sterling silver (snake) ones popping up for way below $1,500; the lowest i've seen was about $900. the vermeil agathas will hover above $2,500. and there's an even rarer special edition with green eyes....

e-bay usa has them for, anywhere between $2000 and $5000.... Non for less than ... $2K.

Check out my blog and my pens

not right now, there aren't any, but if you wait long enough, you'll find the sterling silver (snake) ones popping up for way below $1,500; the lowest i've seen was about $900. the vermeil agathas will hover above $2,500. and there's an even rarer special edition with green eyes....

The are 120 press edition pens in the silver and vermeil edition with green eyes (so 240 total press pens). Besides the green eyes they have they are marked with "PRESS ###" instead of the usual serial number out of 30K or 4810. I have never seen one in person and they are pretty hard to find.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

You did not find the pen. The pen has chosen you.

Sell it at your own peril lest you untimely meet its previous owner.

The only way to avoid its curse is to gift it, do not sell it.

I suggest you save your soul and send it to me. :)

Edited by GTVi