How Do You Protect Your Pens?

sirgilbert357

Have fun, something you make and use yourself is very satisfying.

I can build a computer as easy as walking, but I don't have the first clue where to begin with leather working. I think I saw a pen case making thread in the Paraphernalia forum...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• Baric

• Icywolfe

• Scootz

Top Posters In This Topic

Have fun, something you make and use yourself is very satisfying.

I can build a computer as easy as walking, but I don't have the first clue where to begin with leather working. I think I saw a pen case making thread in the Paraphernalia forum...

Oh cool, I'll pop over there to look for that thread. I have only basic sewing skills, but my wife's sewing machine can do almost anything, so I expect to have the *most* difficulty in cutting the leather cleanly and to just the right size. I'll have to figure out if I want to line the interior or not, and that will probably complicate matters even more, lol.

Got home last night and found that I did indeed still have those motorcycle pants! So, I got to work and made a slim leather sleeve for my Cross. It's a bit fugly, but as a first effort, I'm pretty happy. On my mobile now, I'll post pics later when I'm on my lunch.

So I used a razor knife to cut the leather out of the pants. We have some extra ceramic tiles leftover from work done to the house, so I used that as my "cutting board". So I used a bit of chalk to outline the piece I thought would work and then cut a bit bigger for trimming, allowance for error, etc. Then I cut it more square.

For the thread, I used the strongest thing I have: heavy duty upholstery thread. Overkill? Most definitely. LOL. Then, I wrapped the pen up and did multiple mock ups, making sure my trimming job was good. I sewed it about a 1/4 of the way and began to check the fit every other stitch. I'd slide the pen in and make sure the bottom was basically barely snug to loose fitting. I wanted the stitching over the clip to be the snuggest fitting part since that's the part I'd be pulling on to get the pen out and I didn't want the pieces of the pen to come apart. As I got to the clip I moved my stitches accordingly to give more or less friction as I saw fit. This is why its not a clean straight line of stitches. Oh, and this was all done by hand. The wifey didn't think I should use her sewing machine because the needle isn't heavy duty enough to to do leather. *Shrug* what do I know?

Anyway, the first pics are of it almost completed. I decided the top looked like a preppy kid in a polo with a popped collar, so I trimmed the corners a bit. Pretty happy with how it turned out given it was free and didn't take super long. I plan to make another for my Waterman Hemisphere when it arrives. I have a STUPID amount of leather available to me since these pants are full leather (they basically fit like jeans), so I may end up making a 3 or 5 pen travel roll or something too. The possibilities are really endless. But I'll be buying a heavier needle for my wife's sewing machine first, cause it will be faster, and easier that way...

Comments are appreciated, even if you've got criticisms!

Pics:

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k446/sirgilbert357/IMG_1747.jpg

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k446/sirgilbert357/IMG_1748.jpg

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k446/sirgilbert357/IMG_1749.jpg

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k446/sirgilbert357/IMG_1751.jpg

It rolls down easily if needed too...

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k446/sirgilbert357/IMG_1752.jpg

The finished product with trimming to the opening. Pen is actually in there in this pic.

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k446/sirgilbert357/IMG_1753.jpg

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k446/sirgilbert357/IMG_1755.jpg

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k446/sirgilbert357/IMG_1754.jpg

It was fun, looking forward to the next project!

Check out http://www.franklin-christoph.com/ I carry my pens in a 3 pen case in my purse. I have used it for about 8 months and am extremely satisfied with the case.

I also highly recommend their penvelope and 20/40 pen cases for storing more pens. I have both types and have been very pleased with the quality. For the quality, I feel the price is justified.

Good luck with your new pen and search for a case.

I have the two-pen version of this pouch, and I love it. It's always in my bag at work. When I'm at work, though, I tend to keep one pen in a shirt pocket.

At home, I have a repurposed cigar case with a latch that I covered in felt. Cut up pieces of dowel rod under the felt separate the pens.

The Aston would work fine, as will the medium FC Single Pen Sleeve. Remember the sleeve dimensions are for it flat, when filled the dimensions shrink. As far as length, you just squeeze the bottom of the sleeve and out comes the pen. Longer is better so you protect the top end of the pen.

+1. I use the Aston 3 pen case (isellpens.com), and my only regret is not getting the 4 pen size. The case is 6.5 inches long, but that includes the flap that folds over the ends of the pens. The individual pen sleeves are 5 inches long, and as Baric said a quick squeeze on the bottom easily pushes a smaller pen to the top of the sleeve. Alternately, you could leave the clip on a particularly small pen outside the sleeve, though that could stress the clip.

I have the two-pen version of this pouch, and I love it. It's always in my bag at work. When I'm at work, though, I tend to keep one pen in a shirt pocket.

At home, I have a repurposed cigar case with a latch that I covered in felt. Cut up pieces of dowel rod under the felt separate the pens.

That sounds pretty cool. Got any pics? How many pens will it hold?

Here is where I've landed. I stopped using the pre-sewn sleeves in backpacks and bags because of brassing and because the fabric thickness can be different and cause trouble with clips. Recently I had the whole top assembly break off a Pilot 823 when lifting the flap of my messenger bag caught the clip somehow. Not sure how it happened but now I'm forever back to my older, safer approach.

I use the padded, zip up pen case for all my good pens and use the portfolio sleeves for "meeting pens", and even those I try to push in fully without using the clips. This is one of the portfolios from JetPens and it is awesome, with no need to use the clips for the pens to stay secure.

fpn_1410882565__pen_case.jpg

Graham

Edited by grahamtillotson

Right now I'm using a Nock Co. Lookout which is pretty nice. Wanted something leather though so I ordered a Franklin-Christoph 3-pen case today, found it for $36 shipped which seems like a good price.

I have a pencil pouch at school that I use.

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene