Twsbi Good?

Kamm

I don't have a TWSBi but one thing to me stands out in the responses in this thread. That being the high percentage of folks who either adjusted the pens themselves or had them adjusted by a nibmeister or at least a pen tech at their local B&M shop.

Might be interesting to run a poll as a separate thread asking how many users/owners of TWSBi pens have needed to do so compared with other pens in their collection.

For what its worth, I've never needed to have a pen worked on; my collection is Parkers (various, both old and modern), Sheaffer Targa, several Pelikan, several Pilot, several Lamy (Safari and L2000).

Frankly, the two TWSBi that I have purchased without custom ground nibs have been great out of the box. Perhaps that's just luck. On the other hand, I've purchased about 5 different nibs for my Lamy AlSport, and only about 50% of them were adjusted correctly out of the box... Not great statistics.

My overall experience with the TWSBIs, and particularly with the Vac 700 (of which I have two), is that they are frustratingly close to being the Right Thing, but the parts breakage and the Vac 700's flow issues really sapped a lot of my enthusiasm.

You're right -- TWSBi is very close to being "The Right Thing", and with their current price tag, I'm okay with that. If they were perfect, they'd cost much more. It's all about cost vs. function. For the cost, they are some of the best pens on the market in my opinion. I'm sure you could find better if you spent more (but you'd probably have to spend twice as much to get much better).

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers ~ Voltaire

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• amberleadavis

• Kamm

• Fabienne

I have a Classic with 1.1 stub and it is easily the best piston filler in the pricerange, beating the entry-level Pelikan 200 at almost twice the price. The nib is really great. The Classic is a slightly different construction with a bit more metal parts in places where the demonstrators show cracks. It seems the cracking problem has been taken care of in the newer models. So in one word 'Yes'.

I've had four Twsbi pens (so far) since early 2013:

- Amber Vac 700, EF (Bock). Around the time they were switching from Bock to JoWo nibs, one of which was shipped together with the pen. Tried the JoWo, the Bock was *much* smoother, so I swapped it back. A little flow adjustment, and it writes just like I like. No issues with cracking or any other of the problems reportedly peculiar to Twsbis.

- Smoke Vac 700, F (JoWo). Just right out of the box. Sent to Pendleton Brown for grinding as his Butter Line S / CI. No issues to date.

- Mini Classic, EF (JoWo). First one stolen, replacement as near to the same as makes no difference. Reliable, good writer, one of my first picks when going out and about.

I like 'em, will probably get another later on, especially if the Mini Vac finally escapes into the wild.

Wow wow wow. Thanks for all the responses guys. I think after reading this thread I am going to give it a chance. I may add another pen to the cart after reading this thread as well! Haha! There's just so much to learn about! I just need to take the leap and learn.

Yes, a demonstrator could be completely clear, or colorful, yet see-through. If you prefer those, there are a few othr in that price range. Take a look at the Platinum Cools. They will run a size smaller than the Lamy, or maybe the Pilot Prera, also a size smaller. I've never used a Kaweco, too small for me, but their ICE series are also demos as well as a clear in ther Sport line and I've heard good things. I think it is too short for a piston converter though, not positive. There are others out there (I'm pretty sure Aurora and Montverde), I just don't know enough to comment on them.

I've seen these! I'll be looking closer at them now!

Too bad for you that the Micarta is now history. I bought one of the last ones TWSBI had in stock a month or so ago (m nib clipless - I wanted broad with a clip but whaddaya gonna do). Gave it a good flush with a sample of Goulet pen flush I had, rinsed it out and loaded it from a sample of Iroshizuku Yama-guri. I love it! It's part of my arsenal 5 or 6 days out of 7. When the current load of ink runs out I I may swap in a Goulet 1.1 stub nib just to try it out.

A company that can make a pen that nice must be doing something right! I hope you love whatever you end up with.

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

Too bad for you that the Micarta is now history. I bought one of the last ones TWSBI had in stock a month or so ago (m nib clipless - I wanted broad with a clip but whaddaya gonna do). Gave it a good flush with a sample of Goulet pen flush I had, rinsed it out and loaded it from a sample of Iroshizuku Yama-guri. I love it! It's part of my arsenal 5 or 6 days out of 7. When the current load of ink runs out I I may swap in a Goulet 1.1 stub nib just to try it out.

A company that can make a pen that nice must be doing something right! I hope you love whatever you end up with.

The micarta is what caught my eye to twsbi. But by the time I realized they made them...they were gone. Sad day. The new AL grip ones are going on the list though!

You're right -- TWSBi is very close to being "The Right Thing", and with their current price tag, I'm okay with that. If they were perfect, they'd cost much more. It's all about cost vs. function. For the cost, they are some of the best pens on the market in my opinion. I'm sure you could find better if you spent more (but you'd probably have to spend twice as much to get much better).

I'd be OK with them being perfect and costing much more. If the parts didn't break and the flow problem with the Vac 700 was fixed, I'd be happy to pay $130 and call it a bargain. It would be better than anything else out there today. I just don't know if TWSBI are able-and-willing to go there.

The TWSBI 580AL with the aluminum parts seems like it might be a step in the right direction. At least the section won't crack if it's aluminum instead of clear plastic. The body or the cap could still fracture, though. I suppose the TWSBI Classic might possibly be more durable as well, if the opaque plastic is less crack-prone.

nibs.com and richardspens.com are the only two sites that I know of that have their respective nibmeisters adjust stock nibs before shipment.

When I purchase from Goulet I always ask them to ink the pen up and make sure that it writes well. I don't think that they check the nib if you don't ask. There are some people that want a completely 'mint' pen out of the box, so it's probably easier for them not to have inky nibs sent to unsuspecting buyers.

I believe hisnibs.com tune all nibs before going out.

If you're going to be emotionally invested in the pen, then it's going to suck for you. I have a TSWBI Mini Classic and it's an okay pen. I've had it inked up perpetually since I got it and it's my throw around pen, except for when takes itself out of commission by breaking down. I've had to get replacement parts on four different occasions now. The nib and feed holder snapped apart twice in different places, the nib and feed has been replaced since the first one was a dud (the entire nib unit was replaced that time), and the barrel itself has also been replaced since it developed spontaneous cracks at the opening where the ink goes to the feed. I thought this last bit was the cause of the ink leaking out of the barrel, into the section, and out of the pen staining my hands, but after I got the replacement I realized it was because the threads don't fit right. I used plumbing tape to stop the leak. A few days ago it broke again, and this time the the section snapped apart where it meets the metal ring. I'm waiting on parts for that, and Phillip has told me he will also send me a solution for the leakage. I'm not sure what he meant by that, perhaps a new barrel and nib&feed sleeve again. I've never had a problem with the piston mechanism. That and the cap are the only original parts left.

I've never paid for any replacements.

All of the breakage have obviously been due to manufacturing defects. The parts that broke the most - nib&feed holder, section, and mouth of the barrel, are all parts that experience little to no outside stress. The outside of the barrel and the cap have held up very well. It looks much nicer than I would have expected from the way it has been thrown in with the keys for over a year now in my bag.

Since I expect nothing from this pen, when it breaks down I simply put it aside, email TWSBI, and put it back together again when I get new parts for it. I use my other pens in the meantime. It's a fairly nice pen, but if you plan on this being your daily writer all the hassles it brings will frustrate and disappoint you.

while my favorite is my 580AL EF I just inked up my Mini F w/Blu Mar damn this pen writes Great! Once you get past the twsbi haters you'll find yourself ordering a few more. out of about 40 fpns i own 5 of them are twsbi's and they've all been great writers out of the box.

I'm a big TWSBI fan. I have the clear Diamond 580 with a medium nib, the clear Mini with a 1.1 stub and the blue Vac 700 with a 1.5 stub. I also have a couple of Diamond 50P inkwells. All three pens are perfect writers, smooth and wet, that start up first time. They'll also play nicely with any ink, and flush easily too.

That's not to say there haven't been issues. I had a 1.5 stub for the 580 that was a horrific hard starter, and the same nib for the Mini wasn't great either. Also, there are some inconsistencies with their nib sizing - basically, a 1.5 Mini seems to be the same as a 1.1 580/Vac 700. Technically, if you wanted three different stubs, you could have a 1.1 Mini, a 1.1 580 and a 1.5 Vac/580.

Each and every time I've had a problem (none of which have been recurring) I've contacted either TWSBI or the retailer and had the problem resolved to my satisfaction. This includes the time I threw away the seals from the caps of BOTH my inkwells, thinking they were non-essential packaging - free replacements, no quibbles whatsoever.

I also credit TWSBI for teaching me about the mechanics. The instructions you get, accompanied by Goulet Pens useful video guides, allow me to dismantle, clean and reassemble all my pens with ease. After nearly a year of constant use, the piston on my 580 got a bit stiff - five minutes later, it was gliding like a hot knife through butter, following a full deconstruction and lube-up, with the wrench and silicon grease that is provided with each pen. Without this experience, I wouldn't have had the confidence to dismantle and restore the clogged-up Parker 51 I got the other week.

So yeah - I love my TWSBIs. They've cost me a very small amount of effort and I've gained more from them than just having some cool-looking pens that write beautifully.

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Just share the experience with my 540: it's absolutely great. I guess I am luck out and have one that works perfectly. Cheap or expensive, modern or vintage, they are kinda same for me, I kinda baby my pens quite a bit. Traveling = leather pouch, secured in a bag; at home = in a cup that I store my daily work horses. Nothing breaks or cracks for me... I think for the $50 I paid, the quality and piston filler were quite the steal. Some of my more expensive pens have their plastics that feel cheaper than my Twsbi.

Does Goulet really check the nib before shipping them? How do you know this? I've heard that they will test pens on request, but I've never heard that they check each pen before shipping.

Every time (twice, both Vanishing Point related) I have asked them to write with a nib before sending it to me to ensure it is "wet and smooth", they have, and I've been delighted with the results.

Every time (twice, both Vanishing Point related) I have asked them to write with a nib before sending it to me to ensure it is "wet and smooth", they have, and I've been delighted with the results.

Exactly. I know they test pens on request, but I don't believe they check pens as policy. Only upon request.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Skipping a bit on rare times , the TWSBI mini is my day-to-day pen. Holds a ton of ink, it fits anywhere, i can see the ink level, and is a terrific good looking gal. Plus, someone gave me the trick to fix the skipping, which i have to do. Already gone through two instances of the fix and it was improved by much. I only have to do it once again and it should not skip at all. I have been careful at this, that's why. Had it been a real problem i would have asked for a replacement. mine is a 1.1 stub and i will order a XF soon just for drawing.

Edited by Oldtimer

I'm considering a TWSBI Mini Classic...however, am wondering whether to get with stock nib (then which size!) OR a PB BLS in fine. Any thoughts on stock versus tuned-up nib for this little gem? Thanks!