All The Fakes Out There Have Got Me Paranoid!

chas0039

OK help reassure me. What are the odds I will be getting a fake through Amazon? The store has done business with them for a few years and is in the US. The guy got back to me and said he would be happy to swap out a M nib for an EF he had in stock. The pen is a Le Grand 146, new, no box, but he has others with box, higher priced. He only has this one with no box and the price is where it should be.

He says he used to work at MB Seattle as a repairman before it closed.

I have scoured the web and all the sites on this conclude that a very good fake is impossible to spot.

Any suggestions on getting peace of mind short of sending it to MB?

Thanks

Edited by chas0039

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chas0039

• Freddy

• meiers

• KBeezie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you want to be sure, avoid buying or getting things repaired from anything but a reputable dealer such as the Fountain Pen Hospital. Yup, you will pay more, but you will be able to sleep at night.

Edited by Charles Rice

Thanks for your suggestion, but I don't want to buy a new Montblanc for $700+. They are not worth that price, and the market tells us that when they are worth half as much the day after you buy. I want to buy used or NOS or some other category that sells for realistic price and if Montblanc sold used pens, I would be there. Fountain Pen Hospital would be my next choice, but used there are few and far between.

And I certainly do not want to start a war as to the worth of Montblanc pens. That is for another posting.

I can easily pay the fee to get MB to confirm that it is genuine, but if there are some things I can look for, then Amazon will back me up.

In the end, I might just send it to MB, but any help here would help me quantify whether it is worth it.

Thanks

Edited by chas0039

Amazon will not always back you up. Read the feedback for that seller first.

There have been a few threads here about when Amazon was informed about fakes being sold there how Amazon felt it was up to the actual maker of the real product to take them down.

As for buying options, the classifieds here are an excellent source of genuine product for very good prices.

... As for buying options, the classifieds here are an excellent source of genuine product for very good prices.

I have been checking here most of the Summer. So far, no luck.

Thanks for the piston suggestion littlepen. Is this top picture still the current version?

post-114573-0-51460200-1410717968.jpg

Edited by chas0039

I have been checking here most of the Summer. So far, no luck.

Thanks for the piston suggestion.

You might want to check more often, I've seen several 146's for between 250 and 350, the lower priced don't last long though.

But since it's a 146 which is a piston filler the chances of getting a fake is a lot lower than a cartridge/converter one.

You might want to check more often, I've seen several 146's for between 250 and 350, the lower priced don't last long though.

But since it's a 146 which is a piston filler the chances of getting a fake is a lot lower than a cartridge/converter one.

that's right. I just picked up a BB 146 platinum, practically brand new this past summer. I think there is a 146 up for sale right now.

I have never seen a fake 146 or 149 with a working internal Montblanc piston.

I think you should be safe with a 146. If you buy because you see a picture of an authentic 146, but instead receive a fake pen that unscrews in the middle, then you will get your money back without any problem on ebay or Amazon. No worries

To help alleviate your paranoia re: Montblanc 146's..as has been said

purchase from reputable Dealers and Individuals...By the way..I have

not yet seen a fake 146 {meaningless perhaps}...When time permits..

mosey on over to FPHospital NYCity in 'The Back Room' for purchase

is c. 1989 Montblanc 146 for under 4 -C-Notes.

Fred

Ladies and Gents please excuse The Dreaded Double Post..

'tis beyond our control...Thank you for understanding......

Fred

Edited by Freddy

You worry too much.

146's have not yet been faked.

I avoid amazon dealers unless they have a stellar reputation. I am currently in a dispute with one of them.

You are better off with paypal protection.

Fountain pen hospital offers stellar customer service and their back room deals are reasonably priced.

The track record of the vendor matters to me.

Edited by meiers

The Legrand is a VERY poorly made fake. Its size is extremely off (way smaller than it should be), the clip is the same size clip as on the classique, etc.

Don't worry.

Montblanc Pen PolishFountain Pen Flush

Fountain pen hospital offers stellar customer service and their back room deals are reasonably priced.

The track record of the vendor matters to me.

Hear! Hear!

Fred

Right this moment penboard.de has 7 146ers for sale, all between 325 and 379 USD, their reputation is solid as a rock.

Yes! Ain't that the truth.

Fred

This appeared on my Ebay radar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251644618099?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The original price was BIN at 81 GBP with an starting price at 45 GBP (roughly). Not knowing anything about MB pen I just got the popcorn and sat back to watch. Sure enough someone started bidding and 3 bids later it's up to 113 GBp with a couple of days to go. The seller does not appear to be a pen person (based on their sales history).

So now I am going to be wondering if I made a huge mistake by not pouncing on this at 81 GBP. I guess I'll never know.