What Ink Would You Use In A Pilot Falcon?

dad2jrn

I am not sure if this should be in this forum or not. But since it is primarily about choosing an ink, I think this is the right forum.

My question is:

I love the Japanese fine and extra fine nibs. So I tend to primarily use my Platinum 3776 Century Ultra EF. I recently purchased a Pilot Falcon Soft EF. and I have yet to ink it up. I want to run Baystate Blue in it, but I am not sure if this is a good idea. The falcon will become my primary pen. I will use it for work and what not. I am an Technology SVP at a very large bank. I take a lot of notes at work, but I occasionaly sign various documents. I don't want to use black. I hate black ink. It is so boring. I use Diamine Red Dragon in the Century and that is as dark as I like.

I am looking for a really bright blue (similar to BSB) that has at least some reasonable degree of shading considering the semi-flex nib on the Falcon SEF.

Question: What intense deep bright blue ink that shades well would your run in your Falcon? Am I being overly concerned about using Baystate Blue?

~~ Living Unto Full Stature ~~

PENS: Pilot Resin Falcon SEF | Monteverde Impressa Gunmetal F | Lamy Al-Star F | Jin-Hao x450 Blue | Platinum Preppy | Platinum 3776 Century UEF | Pilot Custom 823 F | Pilot e95s F | Vintage Pilot e95s F

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• cjr

• Algester

• dad2jrn

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd avoid using BSB in the Falcon. On Richard Binder's site it says:

"We have observed at first hand that Noodler’s Baystate Blue can destroy the translucent plastic feeds used in Namiki and Pilot pens. We recommend that you not use Noodler’s Baystate inks in these pens."

If I'm not mistaken, the Falcon does indeed use a plastic feed.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

I'd avoid using BSB in the Falcon. On Richard Binder's site it says:

"We have observed at first hand that Noodler’s Baystate Blue can destroy the translucent plastic feeds used in Namiki and Pilot pens. We recommend that you not use Noodler’s Baystate inks in these pens."

If I'm not mistaken, the Falcon does indeed use a plastic feed.

It does, but two things:

1) I believe BSB has been reformulated.

2) Most of the BSB mishaps appear to be due to improper pen hygiene, causing the ink to mix with another ink that creates the adverse reaction.

However I kind of doubt #2 could happen to binder unless they leave just a little residue in the feed area of the pen.

Also people have used BSB in Pilot Varsities, and Platinum Preppies both with plastic feeds without a problem, and usually because it was their dedicated BSB (no chance of mixing other inks with it).

I however would not put BSB into a Falcon, simply because I could never get the nib and feed apart to give it a proper cleaning.

Liberty's Elysium may work (as I'm using that in my Pilot Elite Mini with a Soft Fine nicely), it's not quite as bright as it goes from a deep blue to a bright blue depending on the shading, which is more noticeable in my Platinum Century 3776 with the medium (which runs a tad dryer than the soft fine on my Pilot). Also NLE is "partially" bulletproof and "partially" waterproof, which may be why I haven't had any issues with it. Seems to work best in a pen that doesn't have an exposed feed or has a very good sealing cap.

I've used Noodler's Texas Blue Steel in my falcon, which was decent just a tad on the wet side.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/falcon/write.jpg

But if you want to play it safe, and want a 'bright' blue, try Iroshizuku Kon-Peki or Ama-iro.

Also here's a write sample with Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/falcon/write_tsuki-yo.jpg

Edited by KBeezie

It does, but two things:

1) I believe BSB has been reformulated.

2) Most of the BSB mishaps appear to be due to improper pen hygiene, causing the ink to mix with another ink that creates the adverse reaction.

For most cases I would think it's #2. But I do know Damine IG completely bat s**t insane when another ink is in the pen even if it's less than a drop. But improper cleaning is my feeling of why many had issues with any of the Noodler's inks.

Also I have BSB in my Pilot Crystal and it's easy to clean off.

Question: What intense deep bright blue ink that shades well would your run in your Falcon? Am I being overly concerned about using Baystate Blue?

I don't have a Elabo yet, but I know when I once used Sheaffer Skrip Peacock Blue in my Justus95(The other Pilot US Soft nibbed pen) it seems to have Kon-peki like shading and a added plus gives me headaches from the brightness.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

By the way I've tried Noodler's Apache Sunset in the Pilot Falcon with a Soft Fine. it's got really nice shading as always. I just have gripe with the falcon's nib and apache sunset on smooth paper like Rhodia 80g. ... it's like trying to write water onto plastic, the ink just doesn't want to stick where you start the stroke and it just kind of ends up pooling down to the end of the stroke. Seems to do best with rougher sketch paper.

Also I don't have the Falcon anymore, but just wanted to show this write sample on some Mead paper to somewhat illustrate the difference between wetter/thicker writing versus dryer/thinner writing as I have 4 pens, with the same ink in each pair (Texas Blue Steel, and Liberty's Elysium). The Falcon being wetter like my Pilot Elite Mini's Soft Fine is likely to show the initial stroke as darker (though my Elite Mini's soft fine was a tiny bit wetter and thicker than the Falcon's soft fine).

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/inked/mead_sept14_2014.jpg

By the way Noodler's Texas Pecan has a lovely gradual shading to it on flex (though this is in an Ahab), I imagine it would do similar with the Falcon, just not sure how it would appear with a Soft Extra-Fine, like maybe a black line on no pressure to a warm brown on flex?

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/inked/ahab_pecan.jpg

Edited by KBeezie

I wouldn't use the BSB in the Falcon either, but that's mostly paranoia about if I ever wanted to use another ink there how would I clean it out? If you really are sure, go for it.

If you want a not-blue that's good for work, I might suggest PIlot blue-black. It's not vibrant like BSB, but it's Not Black.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Mine is inked with the new BSIAR. Not blue, but confirmation that it really needs something with fantastic shading. This may be a step or two away from the BSB you like, but I'll recommend it anyway: Noodler's Navy. Shading is phenomenal in any pen I've put it in. Trusting that it would be great in a Falcon.

I'm currently using Liberty's Elysium in my Binder Falcon w/SF nib. I think it's just the right color of bold blue for a fine line like the Falcon gives. Hadn't thought about trying BSB in it, but that might be really cool for signatures and such since it is a very permanent ink.

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Edison Brockton w/EF 14K gold nib and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Visconti Pinanfarina w/EF chromium conical nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Pilot Blue Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Edison Brockton EF and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

Well I am leaning towards Iroshizuku Asa-Gao for the Falcon. I think I will save BSB for the X450 with a Noodler's #6 Flex Nib (I cannot stand the Jin-hao nibs). I would love to get my hands on Liberty's Elysium, but can't find it. I believe Gouletpens.com (since Brian helped design it) is the only one carrying it and they are sold out. Waiting for the email notification for it to be back in stock. Liberty looks like an amazing color blue.

~~ Living Unto Full Stature ~~

PENS: Pilot Resin Falcon SEF | Monteverde Impressa Gunmetal F | Lamy Al-Star F | Jin-Hao x450 Blue | Platinum Preppy | Platinum 3776 Century UEF | Pilot Custom 823 F | Pilot e95s F | Vintage Pilot e95s F

Sailor inks especially if your going for the flex route I have a feeling Sailor ink perform better as flex pen inks and that is from my observation of having used them as dip pen ink on an Ahab

They take nearly forever to dry on paper don't they (Sailor Jentle inks that is)?

Noodler's Navy is a touch darker, but shades beautifully with a soft/semi - flex nib, so it keeps things interesting. Iroshizuku's K on Peki is a nice, happy blue, but no real shading to speak of.

"Wer schweigt, stimmt zu."

I'm currently using Liberty's Elysium in my Binder Falcon w/SF nib. I think it's just the right color of bold blue for a fine line like the Falcon gives. Hadn't thought about trying BSB in it, but that might be really cool for signatures and such since it is a very permanent ink.

You don't have problems with the Elysium drying up to a chalky blue substance around the nib where it dries?

They take nearly forever to dry on paper don't they (Sailor Jentle inks that is)?

my paper is absorbent (and it's not a Rhodia or Clairfontaine paper for that matter I typically use Muji papers hit or miss... but I do use canson sketchpad paper with an Esterbrook 538 nib loaded into an Ahab I love it especially Tokiwa-Matsu)... so take a guess why... plus I'm a lefty @_@ so I'm taking up a gamble on Sailor inks with a relatively wet Custom Heritage 91

Edited by Algester

my paper is absorbent (and it's not a Rhodia or Clairfontaine paper for that matter I typically use Muji papers hit or miss... but I do use canson sketchpad paper with an Esterbrook 538 nib loaded into an Ahab I love it especially Tokiwa-Matsu)... so take a guess why... plus I'm a lefty @_@ so I'm taking up a gamble on Sailor inks with a relatively wet Custom Heritage 91

:P Course you could just write everything in japanese (right to left, top to bottom).

But makes sense, if you got really absorbent paper, there's not much left laying around to be smeared.

You don't have problems with the Elysium drying up to a chalky blue substance around the nib where it dries?

So far, the ink if well-behaved. Just a minor amount of nib creep, but no crusting. The Falcon seems to stay pretty well sealed.

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Edison Brockton w/EF 14K gold nib and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Visconti Pinanfarina w/EF chromium conical nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Pilot Blue Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Edison Brockton EF and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.