Which Would You Choose ?

mports

None of the above tbh.

1. Cheap copy (and the heart on the nib looks so tacky)

2. It's a Lamy, need I say more...

3. If you want something that looks like a bp, then please use a bp.

Save up for something nicer. If you're gonna spend £150,00, you might as well go al the way and buy a really nice one.

But I didn't spend 240$ USD for my Century 3776, I spent $72 shipped, and it is a 'really nice one' to me.

Maybe you could disclose which one YOU think counts as a "Really nice one".

I don't understand why the street price for the VP is much in the UK $139 does not equal £139.

Imports in Britain are almost always more expensive, especially Japanese imports.
Edited by KBeezie

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• Baric

• GSteer

• Dutchess

The Lamy 2000 and the VP are classics and their designs are their own. In terms of looks I like the Lamy 2000 the best but I haven't owned one and I hear lots of bad things about the nib out of the box.

I like my VP but it is an ugly pen that I find to be too heavy and uncomfortable to use for long periods of time. It is great as a quick note taking pen.

The 3776 is an excellent pen...great nib, comfortable size and weight, nothing strange or unpleasant about it. There isn't anything really special about it and it feels like a poor man's Montblanc. I ended up selling my 3776.

I would buy the Lamy 2000 but I would try to buy one that has been tuned or at least tested so that you don't get a bad one.

Edited by Keyless Works

2K definitely. They are absolutely great pens. Mine had no problems out of the box and it writes like a dream.

I don't understand how someone can feel that the 2K is butt ugly but if you do, then go for the VP. But if 2K is an ugly pen, then VP should be disgusting.

As for the comment, "It's a Lamy, need I say more...", indeed you needn't they make great, reliable, well-engineered and innovative pens at great prices. If you don't like their pens, that's fine, just say so and stop bashing brands. That is especially unhelpful and confusing towards newcomers to fountain pens.

Platinum Century 3776. I've tried two Vanishing Points and two Century 3776s (Black and Bourgogne). I've not tried the Lamy 2K though.

The Century 3776 compared to the VP for me :

- Overall more comfortable to hold, especially around the grip

- Slip n' Seal cap prevents the nib/feed from drying out much better than the VP's trap door

- Much easier to fill via a converter than the VP (though Pilot is a little easier to fill their cartridge via syringe)

- Much much much easier to clean a Century 3776's nib/feed/section

I've owned the C3776 with a Soft Fine, and I currently have a C3776 with a 14K Medium (Which writes in between a Pilot Fine and Medium, closer to Pilot's Fine) and it's really smooth.

They're both about the same capped size, the VP being a little heavier, but that clip isn't very nice for writing with.

The Vanishing point's main benefit is the capless design for me. It's "convenient" and the body is metal instead of resin, so a little more confidence of just throwing it into your pant or shirt pocket (something I wouldn't do with the Century 3776, at least to pants without first having it in a harder leather case).

Also the larger nib seems easier to handle on the Century 3776 and you have a few more choices such as getting a 14K Soft Fine or Soft medium, or a Music nib, or an Ultra-Extra-Fine.

Plus you can get a Platinum Century 3776 for less than $90 USD Shipped which I've done twice from the Bunkidou shop on Rakuten. They also have the "Capless" for around $75, but those are not 14K Nib, but rather "Special Alloy" (likely steel).

But either way, of the three, I'd likely go the Century 3776 route because not only is it cheaper for me, it's overall more comfortable to use in the long run, easier to clean, and just doesn't dry out.

what kbeezie said :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

But I didn't spend 240$ USD for my Century 3776, I spent $72 shipped, and it is a 'really nice one' to me.

Maybe you could disclose which one YOU think counts as a "Really nice one".

Imports in Britain are almost always more expensive, especially Japanese imports.

Mports set the budget in his first post at £150,00. Hence my comment. I have no idea where where to get them the cheapest.

My idea of a nice pen is not the issue here.

The question was about these 3. And my choice would be: none of the above.

My suggestion: keep looking, there's better out there.

Edited by Dutchess

Mports set the budget in his first post at £150,00. Hence my comment. I have no idea where where to get them the cheapest.

My idea of a nice pen is not the issue here.

The question was about these 3. And my choice would be: none of the above.

My suggestion: keep looking, there's better out there.

But you won't aid in a suggestion on what he could look at besides the 3?

1. Cheap copy (and the heart on the nib looks so tacky)

The heart shape used by many manufacturers actually serves a very important job, especially for gold nibs. Due to gold being very prone to stress fractures, the reinforced circle (which creates the heart shape) helps to prevent this. It creates a "fork" that splits the stress load in two, halving the stress at any one point... the more you know :)

Edited to fix a word that got messed up in predictive text nonsense

Edited by Sammyo

Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

Lamy 2K - Just butt ugly.

:lol: For all of us who don't care for the looks of the L2K, you hit the nail on the head.

But to be fair, if you don't mind the looks of the pen, the L2K has a really nice nib and the piston filling system holds a lot of ink.

Overall I think you might be safer with the Platinum with it's more fountain pen like traditional looks. And I've only heard good things about their nibs.

Edited by max dog

:lol: For all of us who don't care for the looks of the L2K, you hit the nail on the head.

But to be fair, if you don't mind the looks of the pen, the L2K has a really nice nib and the piston filling system holds a lot of ink.

Overall I think you might be safer with the Platinum with it's more fountain pen like traditional looks. And I've only heard good things about their nibs.

I have no opinion on the functionality of the L2K, just its aesthetics (or lack thereof). :D

I have nothing but respect for Mr. Brown, but clearly the Professor and his chatty lobster have had a detrimental effect on his brain in this instance.

Such a shame...

Edited by Baric

+1 to Duchess. 150 quid / $240 can get some really good pens on Ebay, Pentrace or the Classifieds here, and given that budget, THOSE pens are not what I would pick either.

How about a Montblanc 146 for only 10-15 quid more?

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Out of the three I own only the 3776 Century and just bought another one. I didn't buy it for the looks but for the wonderful UEF nib. I like my nibs teeny-tiny so no Lamy 2K for me.

I'm interested in the VP but won't buy one without handling one first and that isn't possible at the moment so it's bit of a Catch-22.

Caretaker for a bevy of Swans.

Of the three of them, if you like the L2K, there is simply no substitute. Only pen I have 2 of (the first was an EF that I didn't like the nib much, the second is an M that now needs some nib tuning, an idiot grabbed it from me and started writing with it. Note to self, always carry a bic) and would get 2 more if there ever go out of production.

Otherwise, there are other nice pens to consider as well. The VP is nice but the ink capacity is too low for me. Pilot Custom series have some great pens in it. Vintage Montblancs or pelikans will make a great everyday user at that price range.

Definitely the platinum 3776 with SF of F nib.I have 3 of them and are all great writers OOTB.I like the feedback on more structured paper as well

The lamy is a great design though.the nibs is rather smooth but without character.

The VP : the clip is disturbing to me.I like the concept and design.

Some reviews mention the pen running dry after a while?

Definitely the platinum 3776 with SF of F nib.I have 3 of them and are all great writers OOTB.I like the feedback on more structured paper as well

The lamy is a great design though.the nibs is rather smooth but without character.

The VP : the clip is disturbing to me.I like the concept and design.

Some reviews mention the pen running dry after a while?

Depends on the ink, and how well seated the cartridge protector or converter is (since if it's not seated far enough in, it may slightly hinge on the trap door exposing it to air, and may not allow the nib to go out all the way or correctly).

Edited by KBeezie

I'm luckily enough to have at least one of each and my first question would be: What is your typical usage of it expected to be?

All three get used differently by me, they all excel in some areas and some fall short in others

Vanishing Point - they get used daily, carried around in my messenger bag, always work, haven't let me down and are the quickest on the draw when I need to make notes on site at a clients, 'put it away', then take notes again. Going against it is it's low ink capacity if you do a lot of writing and the clip which some people don't like the position of. The medium nibs are sublime though and I love the spring from them. No issues straight out of the box.

Lamy 2K - Got a couple of these, a Binderized Medium and a Broad Stub by Tyler Dahl. I'm not sure what it is about these nibs but once tweaked and smoothed they are some of the smoothest I own, with some nice spring but not as much as the VP. These I use for journaling or in general rotation and always enjoy them when they come up. Downsides... the cap 'ears' for some people, doesn't bother me at all though. My first originally came with a Fine nib, didn't like it, too fine, very small sweet spot.

#3776 Century - Yeah, I like them, like them enough to have four of them. They serve one purpose very very well. Not drying out. These pens form my core desk set, filled with four different colours in four different nib sizes they sit their for months on end, never complaining and always ready to go. Downsides...well the nibs could be a bit springier for my liking and the music/1.2mm stub nibs just drink ink (but I kinda actually like that aspect myself). Out of the four only the music nib hasn't been tweaked, the others have all been stubbed, 0.6mm, 0.7mm, 1.2mm although I didn't have any issues with them out of the box.

Would I buy them again? Yes, all of them.

With hindsight which order would I buy them in ? Lamy 2K, Vanishing Point, #3776's

Build Quality & Feel? Lamy 2K, Vanishing Point, #3776's

Nib Satisfaction? Lamy 2K then VP Medium / #3776 Music in joint second

So for me at least that pretty much puts the 2K at the top of the list, followed by a Medium VP and then the Music #3776 in a very close third. If I was only allowed one of them it'd be the 2K, albeit with my Broad Stub.

Edited Note: I purchased all the pens whilst over in North America so I'm not sure how they stack up on value compared to each other here in the UK.

Edited by GSteer

"...using a fountain pen should feel like riding a unicorn through a field of cupcakes during a rainstorm of scotch while eating bacon" - Dan Smith

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

Some great recommendations already here, and I own all three of these pens as well.

The Lamy 2k was my first big fountain pen purchase and now spends most of its time in the case. It's rugged, reliable, and a nice piston filler. But the cap clips can cause a few problems for some, and the material does leave something to be desired. It's all functional, and this one can be a good knock-around pen. With a touch of work, you can replace this nib.

The VP is a love-it-or-hate-it pen. My wife carries one daily in her purse and uses it all the time. I like mine, but, for its size, this is a heavy pen. It also has a decent amount of girth which you may or may not like. For convenience sake, it's a very good pen. The clip can be a problem for some, but it's not a problem for me or my wife.

I really like Platinum pens. A couple years living in Japan, and I really appreciate the Big 3 from Japan. But I really like the wide range of nib sizes and feel, and these pens are simply workhorses. They can sit for weeks and start right up, work smoothly with pigment ink (I use both Platinum and Sailor pigment inks), and are nice without being too flashy. I like the demonstrator versions I have as they present a great image, and the regular 3776 have just enough transparency to give a quick look at the innards.

My recommendation would be to get the Platinum first. The VP is a very good pen and should be on your list of purchases, but only after you try one out and decide if you like the clip placement, the girth, and the weight. Finally, I'd go for the 2k. If you want a low profile, rugged design for that carry anywhere pen, then it's a good choice. Otherwise, it's my #3.

Buzz