What Is Your Daily Use Ink

dad2jrn

Probably Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher. Bulletproof, interesting, yet still professional.

Also, Pendleton Brown's "Blakwa" mix has become a huge favorite. If I could find that color in a bulletproof formula, I'd be all about it!

Edited by Elyptic

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers ~ Voltaire

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dad2jrn

• ac12

• cancoi

• J85909266

I have more pens than inks. When a pen runs out, I clean it, and fill a different one. I pick inks sort of randomly for them. I started and then forgot an ink diary, which I'll try to keep up again, to avoid duplicates.

I usually have a bluish ink and something else, often reddish or brownish. I picked up three variants of red-brown from Diamine (Ochre, Syrah, Ancient Copper) and have some other reds (Momiji, Noodler's Fox, both of which I like). I never use my poor lonely greens.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

My primary ink right now is Noodlers Bad Black Moccasin (in a Lamy Safari 1.1). Secondary would be Baystate Blue in a Platinum Plaisir.

Last week at work the two colours were MB Midnight Blue in a Waterman Harley and Noodler's Baystate Concord in a Kaweco Sport - I have a couple more hours to decide what next week's colours are going to be...

I usually carry at least two pens, more often three... an ink that's always in one of my daily pens is Diamine Florida Blue, followed very closely by Diamine Merlot (dark red, almost purple) and Waterman purple.

If I have a fourth choice, it's for inks that I use to highlight my notes: Diamine Orange Blaze or Diamine Soft Mint...

Arguing with a woman is like reading a Software License Agreement.

In the end, you ignore everything and click "I Agree".

flying-letter-exc.png

I noticed only one person mention Baystate Blue. Given that there are really no blue inks like it out there (at least that are readily available), why do more people not use it? Would anyone here be willing to put it in something like a Custom 74 or a Falcon? I know that it can destroy the Pilot Petit1's translucent feed, but what about pens like the C74, Falcon, Platinum 3776? Would anyone have any real concerns about damage from BSB in any of those or similar pens? I use BSB in my preppy right now, but because of the color of the ink, I always find myself reaching for the preppy instead of my better writing pens like the falcon or the century.

~~ Living Unto Full Stature ~~

PENS: Pilot Resin Falcon SEF | Monteverde Impressa Gunmetal F | Lamy Al-Star F | Jin-Hao x450 Blue | Platinum Preppy | Platinum 3776 Century UEF | Pilot Custom 823 F | Pilot e95s F | Vintage Pilot e95s F

I have three pens I use every day, with three different inks.

Schaeffer Targus - Blue Eel

Lamy 2000 - Noodle's Army-Aircorp Blue-Bladk

Esterbrook J - Bulletproof Black

Other pens get different inks, depending on whim.

I noticed only one person mention Baystate Blue. Given that there are really no blue inks like it out there (at least that are readily available), why do more people not use it?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't use BSB because: the color is too harsh on my eyes, it smells funny, it acts like glue on pistons, it leaves a stubborn blue film on everything, it fades in sunlight, and over time (months) it can "burn" through a page and leave brown marks on the opposite side of the paper.

Anyhow... I've had enough of super-bright colors. Even Liberty's Elysium, although quite pretty, can get a bit overbearing when looking at whole pages of text. Montblanc Irish Green bothered me in a similar way. Noodler's Cactus Fruit is another eye-searing color, and so is Private Reserve Candy Apple Red. These inks are exciting at first, and they have some uses, but to me they will never be mainstays.

I use Parker's blue/black Quink every day. My shirt pocket pen has been loaded with it for years. I carry it because it is inexpensive, not black, not highly saturated, low maintenance, and doesn't rot rubber sacs. If I want water resistance, I use something else.

I can't comment on Apache Sunset; I have never tried it.

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

Lamy Blue-Black was one I enjoyed back in the day. Then Waterman Florida Blue.

Currently, all of my pens are inked with Private Reserve Chocolat- I just think brown is a nice color to use daily that is dark enough not to draw toouch attention but colorful enough to keep me entertained.

My all time favorite daily ink is definitely Noodler's Legal Lapis. I'm sad that I can't find it anymore (I have enough for one more fill!) so I'm hoping the new bottle of 54th will tide me over...

In my job I need a permanent ink which has a "conservative" color, and preferably not neccessitating an excessive degree of care/pen hygiejne. Previously I used Montblanc Blueblack, but it is discontinued. After some testing, for the time being I have landed on Rohrer & Kilngner Salix. It has a very reasonable permanency to both light and water. I behaves well in the pen, and the iron-gall content is modest, which dimnishes the quirks usually connected with iron-gall inks in fountain pens.

Lately my non-black daily inks have been PR Ebony Purple and Diamine Prussian Blue, both in silver-blue Lamy Al-stars. I just really love those pen and ink combinations. I do always have a pen filled with black at work - sometimes only black is acceptable. At the moment it's a Lamy Safari with J Herbin Perle Noire.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

All my inks are daily inks. I don't use fountain pens, or any pens at all, for work though.

If I'm filling pages with text I do prefer an ink that's easy on the eyes. Some favourites for that use that are still interesting to look at are Diamine Umber and Diamine Damson.

I don't really have a daily ink. I keep 6 or 7 pens inked and all colors are fair game. I love to rotate through different colors, so the color will get changed when I write a pen dry. I may refill a pen with the same ink a 2nd time, but that's usually the max before I change colors. The one color I don't use is black. I have one pen dedicated to Waterman South Seas Blue, in that I only refill it with this ink, however I wouldn't call this my one daily ink.

Apache Sunset is currently in rotation. I can use any color I want since I am not in any type of corporate office type setting. :)

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

My default is X-Feather because my paper options tend to be of the lesser quality variety. If I could choose based strictly on ink color and properties without worrying about water-resistance, bleed-through, etc, then I'd be leaning toward ... oh wow, I have no idea. I haven't even let myself consider that. I just got a sample of Kon Peki ... mmmmmm .... Kon Peki. Or maybe Ancient Copper. Something saturated and classy. Great question to ponder. :thumbup:

My ink-swap post(s) become out of date eventually. My signature is always current. If you want to swap some ink, here's what I have: Diamine: Ancient Copper, Oxblood, Poppy Red, Red Dragon, Sherwood Green; Iroshizuku: Kon-peki, Ku-jaku, Take-sumi; Noodlers: 54th Mass, BSB, Purple Martin, X-Feather, Widow Maker; Private Reserve: Blue Suede. I'm partial to highly saturated inks, but am open to suggestions. PM if interested.

Diamine Asa Blue. I keep coming back to it simply because the color is pleasant for me to look at, and it behaves well on all but the cheapest papers.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

I use any and all of my inks at work, a different one each day. For me the variety of both inks and pens is essential to their enjoyment. Choosing just one of either pen or ink would just annoy me, no matter how much I liked that pen or that ink. If you want a list of some of the more business-like inks I like that are not black inks, I would name Sailor Sei Boku, Noodler's Navy, Diamine Sapphire Blue, Diamine Royal Blue, Aurora Blue, and Montblanc Toffee Brown.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

The appropriateness of Apache Sunset depens, on your environment and use.

It could be perfectly fine in one environment and unwelcomed in another.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I don't have a single everyday-use ink; I like to change it up a bit, but for the moment I'm using both J. Herbin Lie de The and Waterman Serenity Blue. Both of these work well in a professional setting, although my next 'daily-use' inks will probably be a bit more waterproof.

Haven't yet tried Apache Sunset: it's on my ever-expanding wish-list of inks!