What Is Your Daily Use Ink

dad2jrn

• What is your daily ink (the ink you use daily for work or for note taking etc). If you could have just one ink to use what would it be (cannot be black)? Please explain your choice of ink.

• IYO - Is Apache Sunset an appropriate daily ink? I am leaning towards Diamine Red Dragon since it's red, yet dark enough to not stand out too much. But I think it might be too dark for me so, I might change it up a bit.

~~ Living Unto Full Stature ~~

PENS: Pilot Resin Falcon SEF | Monteverde Impressa Gunmetal F | Lamy Al-Star F | Jin-Hao x450 Blue | Platinum Preppy | Platinum 3776 Century UEF | Pilot Custom 823 F | Pilot e95s F | Vintage Pilot e95s F

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dad2jrn

• mooshi

• ac12

• cancoi

My daily ink changes... daily. :) If I had to choose one ink for the rest of time, it'd be Iroshizuku Asa-Gao. This ink flows nicely in all of my pens, dries quickly, and fits in well in a corporate environment while still being interesting to my eye.

My writing is often used for signing documents and sharing information in an office and so Apache Sunset wouldn't be a good fit in this environment. I can't imagine it would photocopy particularly well either. That said, Apache Sunset is a gorgeous ink. If you can get away with it, why not?!

Waterman purple. It's for one my favorite color. it is also a wet free flowing ink and it just looks great. Dark enough to use as a standard ink and colorful enough to add a hint of color.

Apache sunset looks beautiful. I don't see why it could not be a daily note taking ink.

Although I like Apache Sunset, I wouldn't use it as a daily ink, as I prefer EF/F nibs and so shading is usually minimal and that results in the ink looking too light.

My daily ink that I almost always have loaded up in one of my pens is Iroshizuku Kon-peki. It's one of my favourite colours, and is easy to wash off skin/pens.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

A EDC I carry will almost always be loaded with Montblanc Midnight Blue (discontinued IG formula). As to why, for one thing, its Iron Gall ink. that means great water resistance and less problems with substandard papers. Second, the color is a deep indigo blue that almost comes of as a black. The shading I get is enough to tell its not black and distinct enough to show its not a copy.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

1: Daily ink: why can't it be black? If black is what I like? Well, I don't like black that much so it isn't my daily black... It depends on the pen. As I often use C/C pens with cartridges (gasp.... :yikes: ) I am dependent on what is been offered for that pen. But blue black is the colour I normally choose. And lately I have become quite fond of Pelikan Tanzanite.

2: Never used Apache Sunset, so I don't know how it looks in real life. But if an ink is acceptable as every day ink really depends on where you use it every day. I my work I could use whatever I liked, except when it had to be scanned. In that case very dark was needed. Parker and Waterman Blue Black came up almost too light. But for notes I have been using Lie du Thé.... which is the non-blue-black I like.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

These are some interesting choices. The reason I said it can't be black is because black is too easy. Most pens used (i.e rollerball, ballpoint, et al) are black. I really love BSB, but I know so many people don't like it because they are afraid it will destroy their pen. Anytime I use BSB at work or the doctor's office, etc, people always ask about it. The color of BSB is a real attention getter. Right now I run it in my Lamy Al-Star, but I really want to run it in my everyday writer, my Falcon SEF. Just nervous about it. So i am trying to think of other colors and want to know what others are using as their every day writer.

I only use my Falcon at work for taking notes, etc. Nothing that needs to be copied, so Apache Sunset would be okay for that. But I am still trying to decide. Like I said red Dragon is too dark, it doesn't get the attention of BSB. apache Sunset should draw attention, I would think.

Keep posting your everyday inks.

~~ Living Unto Full Stature ~~

PENS: Pilot Resin Falcon SEF | Monteverde Impressa Gunmetal F | Lamy Al-Star F | Jin-Hao x450 Blue | Platinum Preppy | Platinum 3776 Century UEF | Pilot Custom 823 F | Pilot e95s F | Vintage Pilot e95s F

Diamine Sapphire. Great flow in almost any pen, doesn't feather easily, The color is vibrant without being to "showy", has some water resistance, works okay for legal documents, and is my go-to ink.

I think Apache Sunset is a little too vibrant and that a whole page of it could be hard on the eyes. I also do not think it too appropriate for everyday usage as it is a bit light. I would go for Noodlers Cayenne for something close but easier to read, but my favorite red for a long time was Diamine Monaco Red. Sort of red-brown, excellent behavior, shades a fair amount based on pen, and IIRC has some water resistance. I also like Noodlers Habanero. If this works out, it will link to a Goulet Pens Swap Shop sample set I did.

http://www.gouletpens.com/Interactive_Swab_Shop_s/813.htm Hmm. Well, if you are not familiar with this tool, just click the drop downs and scroll through the choices, clicking the ones you want to compare. I was going to compare Apache Sunset, Cayenne, Habanero, and Monaco Red.

Edited by AndrewC

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

A EDC I carry will almost always be loaded with Montblanc Midnight Blue (discontinued IG formula). As to why, for one thing, its Iron Gall ink. that means great water resistance and less problems with substandard papers. Second, the color is a deep indigo blue that almost comes of as a black. The shading I get is enough to tell its not black and distinct enough to show its not a copy.

+1

This was my EDC ink until I ran out. Diluted the last couple of ml with some MB Royal blue to get a very nice blue-black.

Now I'm using Pelikan 4001 blue-black. This is a dry ink that tames my wet Pelikans and has good water resistance.

Bad Belted Kingfisher in a Pelikan 800 with a Binder Italifine nib. The 800 is the only modern pen I own that is always in my rotation and BBK is a match made in heaven for it. I need to be a little more careful with pen hygiene, flushing the nib every 4th fill, but the results are worth that little hassle. I like the color, the flow, everything about this ink.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Noodler's Black would've been my first choice but for the purposes of this thread I'll say Diamine Twilight. It's a nice dark blue that can be used in pretty much any setting -- academic, personal, etc. It doesn't stand out too much like a bright, vibrant blue (such as Liberty's Elysium), but it has some interesting shading if you look closely enough.

I would choose Iroshizuku Kon-peki (Deep Cerulean). Blacks and blue-blacks don't do it for me, personally. Kon-peki is bright enough to be fun, but "normal" enough for a business letter. It's well behaved in all my pens and doesn't seem to stain. It does well in fade tests. It's not waterproof, but if your paper gets wet, there's plenty of ink left to read. I always have a pen inked with it.

You might like Diamine Ancient Copper, that gets attention and it's easy to read. I have Red Dragon - it's a lot of fun. It's readable also.

Please post what you decide on!

I always have one pen loaded wit Diamine Onyx (black) and one with Diamine Midnight. It flows well, is dark enough that a page of it s easy to read without searing retinas, an copies and scans well, even when set for black and white. Modestly priced as well.

Not black? I would be sad. :( My most used ink is actually some shade of black.

Noodler's Liberty's Elysium then. It's a nice bright blue, not a "blah" blue like some I've tried out. I want blue with a bit of pop to it, but as a daily ink it wouldn't be too bright, like BSB can be for some uses. Even though red is my favorite color, I think going with blue is a bit better option for the daily ink for everything. I have it in a dedicated pen already.

I love Apache Sunset, and also have it in a dedicated pen because I use it so much. My only problem with it is it is VERY wet and I have to be careful to give it time to dry. I think it wouldn't be appropriate for some uses though.

Edited by Vgimlet

I have six pens filled right now:

3 x Aurora Blue

1 x Herbin Perle Noire

1 x Diamine Oxblood

1 x MB Palm Green

I mostly use blue inks but I cannot just pick one...it used to be Waterman Serenity Blue which worked in everything except a couple of vintage OMAS pens so now I don't really have a true go to ink.

What do you mean daily ink? I wouldn't sign documents Apache Sunset or Red Dragon.

I don't have a daily ink. I use whatever I want and it changes pretty often. I do have current favorites, but that can be pretty fluid too. As for choosing just one, what are you, the Ink Police? :D Very well, if I had just one ink, I guess I'd choose Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher. It's nice dark blue, it's permanent, and has a cool name. What more could you want, except more inks? I would certainly miss all my other inks, i like color.

Is Apache Sunset appropriate? Of course it is, any ink is as long as you llike it. it's a little light for my personal tastes, but it shades beautifully, and I use it on occasion. Your intended use may impose some restrictions on what you use (ie. permanence and dark color for legal reasons, etc), but that's an external restriction that only exists in your environment.

I don't have a daily use ink either. I swap out inks a lot. I do always have at least one ink in rotation that is super-permanent: Noodler's Kung Te Cheng, El Lawrence, or 54th MA -- or some combination thereof. But at the moment I have pens filled with various other inks and ink colors as well: brown, blue, blue-black, red violet, and grey.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I usually have 4 or 5 inked pens at work, and the colors change reasonably frequently. Diamine Twilight, Noodlers Borealis, Diamine Oxblood are all current favorites. However, if I had to limit myself to just one ink, J Herbin Poussiere de Lune would be my pick. It was my first bottled ink, so it has the nostalgia factor, purple is my favorite color, it shades well in broader nibs, but it's dark enough for work.

Plural, inkS. All loaded into different pens that I rotate through.

• Waterman blue and black
  • Cross/Pelikan blue and black

- the Waterman inks are my wet inks, and the Cross/Pelikan inks are my dry inks. These are matched to the flow characteristics of my pens. So one dry pen could have Waterman blue and another wet pen Cross blue.

• Waterman green
  • Sheaffer red
  • Sheaffer turquoise

If I had to use ONE ink, it WOULD be BLACK.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com