Need Help Listing Jinhao Replicas

Sadiq

Hi guys & gals,

I've been reading some really interesting reviews on these Jinhao pens.

Aside from the 599 (Lamy Safari rep) & the 159 (Montblanc 149 rep)... Are there any other Jinhao replicas of other pens?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sadiq

• usk15

• KBeezie

• Jamerelbe

Top Posters In This Topic

Jinhao 500 - Pelikan M400.

Ah one more...have you tried it, I wonder if its any good? The Jinhaos I've mentioned seem like pretty good substitudes for the price.

Jinhao 15 is supposed to look a lot like the Waterman Serenite - for a review, check out https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/246134-jinhao-15-moka/

I haven't tried this one out - the advice I got when asking around was that there were other, better pens I'd be happier with...

Thanx for the reply & link Jamerelbe.

Ah one more...have you tried it, I wonder if its any good? The Jinhaos I've mentioned seem like pretty good substitudes for the price.

Heavy and scratchy...didn't like it.

Heavy and scratchy...didn't like it.

I've read about the heaviness compared to original brands...as for the nibs, I've mostly read they're good smooth writers.

I guess one doesn't really know until you own one hey :)

I've read about the heaviness compared to original brands...as for the nibs, I've mostly read they're good smooth writers.

I guess one doesn't really know until you own one hey :)

Not really, depends on the model specifically. The larger nibs (X450/X750/159 etc) that are usually #6 can be smooth on the paper, but they can be so inconsistent, like writing water onto plastic where the strokes don't seem to go down consistently but rather they shrivel and pool depending on the ink. Even with some smoothing of the nib, it doesn't seem to help.

They may be smooth but they're also annoyingly inconsistent on ink flow onto the paper. The smaller ones, especially with hooded nibs can be hit-or-miss.

You kind of have to buy a couple just to weed out the misses. Especially if you don't want to have to tweak/repair/modify yourself.

Edited by KBeezie

They may be smooth but they're also annoyingly inconsistent...Especially if you don't want to have to tweak/repair/modify yourself.

My thoughts at present are that they seem quite reasonably priced, the build seems fairly good for the price. They're cheap enough for some tweaking, then gifting. I'm kinda sold.

That said, I would like to hear about any other Jinhao replicas...

My thoughts at present are that they seem quite reasonably priced, the build seems fairly good for the price. They're cheap enough for some tweaking, then gifting. I'm kinda sold.

That said, I would like to hear about any other Jinhao replicas...

My main issue is that if they don't perform or write that well, they're not really worth the money especially considering that Platinum Preppy, Pilot Varsity, Pilot Petit1, etc perform better, write better and don't dry up for less than $5. They just don't look all that special compared to a lot of those Chinese pens. I've had several dozens, and initially my impressions were good too, but it takes a couple months of usage to actually get an idea of how they perform in the long run.

But if you're looking to gift someone a pen that looks like an expensive brand/model but for under $15, the Jinhao/Baoer/etc do the trick. But just don't pitch the pen as a "high end one" when gifting them since researching them is not difficult.

Thus why over on FPGeek I was curious what your end goal was. Was cost, aesthetics, or performance the priority (kind of a pick 2 deal)?

Edited by KBeezie

My main issue is that if they don't perform or write that well, they're not really worth the money especially considering that Platinum Preppy, Pilot Varsity, Pilot Petit1, etc perform better, write better and don't dry up for less than $5. They just don't look all that special compared to a lot of those Chinese pens. I've had several dozens, and initially my impressions were good too, but it takes a couple months of usage to actually get an idea of how they perform in the long run.

But if you're looking to gift someone a pen that looks like an expensive brand/model but for under $15, the Jinhao/Baoer/etc do the trick. But just don't pitch the pen as a "high end one" when gifting them since researching them is not difficult.

Thus why over on FPGeek I was curious what your end goal was. Was cost, aesthetics, or performance the priority (kind of a pick 2 deal)?

I do appreciate your input, & will consider all the issues you've mentioned (I understand what you say about these pens being a hit & miss). Maybe what I should do is buy a 159, use it for a month or more & go from there...the replica list would still be useful to me tho.

I wouldn't pass off the Jinhao's as expensive pens, I'd just be happy that they look a little higher end that those plastic preppys, etc.

Jinhao 321: Slender version of Parker 21Super

Jinhao Century Mk2: Parker Duofold International.

Regards,

Richard

2 more, great stuff. Thank you :)