A Month With My Twsbi 580~Al

Behike54

I decided to write this mini-review and initial impressions because the reviews for this pen have been polarizing, to say the least.

Initially, 2 things scared me. One shortly after I got it and one today.

1) When I first got the pen, the piston mechanism was so tight, I couldn't unscrewed it with the wrench without the pen turning in my hand, despite my best efforts. Despite the posts about the 580s tendencies to crack, I just told myself I wasn't going to worry about it. When I was done flushing the piston clean, I separated the nib ferule from the barrel and used the wrench to ever so slowly and gently turn the piston mechanism while holding the barrel with one of those rubbery jar opening gloves and VOILA! No cracking, no drama (yet), and the piston cap and rod still had the faintest coating of lube still on it. :thumbup:

2) When cleaning my pen today, I turned the nib mechanism upside down over the sink, like the green newb I am, and I was treated to the horror of watching it free fall into the garbage disposal! Bun of a sitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say, my hands aren't made for such spaces, especially where it landed. I grabbed a flashlight and pair of tongs and ever so cautiously airlifted the whole thing out INTACT. As luck would have it, my wife cooked while i was working late last night and she never hit the SPIN CYCLE for the veggy remains. In other words, I think the fall was cushioned by onion skin, romaine, and who knows what else instead of clanking in metal.

Finished cleaning the pen, shook-dry, then let all the parts air dry on paper towels.

Hours later, I reassembled said pen and filled with Diamine "marine," I got from a PIF and the pen didn't skip a beat. Since the first day I got it and filled it, it has NEVER started slow, become blocked, obstructed, or dried out, and has consistently laid down a lovely medium wet+ line, while writing quite smoothly.

Now, I know I have not had this pen a long time and I am new to FPs in general, so YMMV. But my time with the 580AL has been a consistent and reliable pleasure in every way, and has helped deepen my appreciation and enjoyment of FPs and I find myself using it for just about everything. I am not sure you can ask more than that from your first pen?

The other things are specific to my experience and what works for me, but I will mention them anyway. The pen feels good in the hand, is balanced well for where I hold it, and has a wide window of usability. I never felt like the pen made demands of me, which is the way it should be, IMHO. Did I mention how good it looks?

I don't know whether I will buy another TWSBI or just other nibs, but this pen has treated me well and my enjoyment continues every day I use it.

Like everybody else who gets their first pen and enjoys it, I think I have a pretty good idea of what my next 8 out of 10 pens will be. :eureka:

Cheers!

post-115790-0-74995800-1410582964_thumb.jpg

Edited by Behike54

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricTheRed

• I like mango cheesecake

• Komitadjie

• Behike54

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You were lucky with the nib. My Pilot 78g nib fell down the sink drain and it was a gonner!

Anyways, I have the 580Rb and I didn't realize it was a behemoth of a pen. It is even bigger when posted. When writing when posted, I feel like I'm a wizard, or a conductor of something. It's that huge!!!! My mini is like a real Mini Me.

I sure love my 580AL! I have one of Pendleton's nibs on it, and it's a workhorse. Right now it's filled with Kon-peki, sitting next to a 580 Diamond with another Pendleton full of Noodler's Gruene Cactus. They are both superb, and never skip a beat!

I also love my LUMI! When I got it, I immediately filled it with Diamine Majestic Blue. The piston worked like a well oiled machine and the F nib writes like butter. No pre-inking preparations were required. This is a beautiful, outstanding pen...