I Was Looking Up At The Sky This Evening

SeeksAdvice

I thought everyone went through pen funks periodically: I know I do. I just rinse them and put them away for a while, and pick up a pencil. After a couple of weeks, the urge returns.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuscer

• SeeksAdvice

• amberleadavis

• wastelanded

When ever I look at the night sky it just makes me want to grab my favorite fountain pen and write a story.

I can only write when I have a physical pen and paper. If I open up Microsoft word my mind draws a blank.

+1 on that post

I thought everyone went through pen funks periodically: I know I do. I just rinse them and put them away for a while, and pick up a pencil. After a couple of weeks, the urge returns.

I do as well. There are times when I just want that ballpoint...

I do as well. There are times when I just want that ballpoint...

Oh, no ballpoints! I can't press hard enough. An H-grade Ticonderoga suits me fine.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

hahahaha yeah. but there are times when I'm down, just like SeeksAdvice. I would rather write with a mechanical pencil but we're not allowed to at school :gaah:

Edited by FP189

@SeeksAdvice - I know what you mean; I believe that we all get feelings like that sometimes - at least if we are just a bit reflective. And yes, mother nature is big, she does not care much. She'll be here long after mankind has left the scene.

On the other hand: Going back to BICs? Well that would to me be like only eating cucumber sandwiches and taking a handful of vitamin pills with a glass of water for the rest of my life. It would probably keep me alive, nature would not care much - but, my oh my, would that be boring! We might be here only once, or we might visit many times (according to what one believes), but why not make the best of it while we are here!? Enjoy your pens and ink!

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

Sounds like you're somewhere between opening up to a greater perspective to having an existential crisis. Either way, it's definitely something you'll grow and gain depth from if you don't reject it. Don't reject your pens either, that interest will return when your thoughts come back down here. Such crises aren't often pleasant experiences but they're trying to teach you something that you won't learn otherwise - such as responses to life's Big Questions. I won't say you'll learn the answers to those questions, because you gradually learn more and more as you go along, but you'll get further along on them than before.

I see what you mean and I understand. So, before you go and return to regular pens and all. I don't suppose I could take care of all your FP and related items? Just for safe keeping if you change your mind. I'd even pay for shipping CONUS.

OT: Umm, this doesn't seem like it belongs in the right sub-forum.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

hahahaha yeah. but there are times when I'm down, just like SeeksAdvice. I would rather write with a mechanical pencil but we're not allowed to at school :gaah:

That's just silly. Fixing mistakes is a lot easier with a pencil. Of course, fixing mistakes is a lot easier with a word processing program.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

And and SeeksAdvice, an answer for you:

There is no ''point''. Some people collect stamps, some collect coins and we collect fountain pens. It's all because we feel the need and have the enthusiasm for it. Yours will return because it's probably just a patch of darkness that we all have within us.

It is very tender being a person sometimes . From the perspective of the Infinite very little of what we do matters. However, we are human beings with bodies and feelings and for many of us, a desire to live meaningful lives. We often have some choice about where to put our attention from moment to moment. Our thoughts are often not the best map of reality. Our senses, without the interpretation , can be a lovely refuge. Note the pressure of your tail bones on the chair, your chest rising and falling, the sights and sounds of nature

or your ticking appliances. Express kindness for ourself and use your powers for good when possible. Perhaps the visceral pleasure of a pen in your hand and ink lines on a page will be enjoyable, comforting or useful at some point.

Hi SeeksAdvice,

You, and I, and all the rest of the FPNers are all part of Nature, so at least a chunk of Nature cares.

As well, FPs put a smaller strain on the environment than Bics, so Nature really does have a stake in your, and my, and our, FP use.

But, I use my FPs to write. And I write better using my FPs. That is the task, and that is the important thing. I get the pleasure of using them as an extra.

When I look up at the sky, I don't ever feel insignificant. I do remember that we are all made of stardust (literally) and that a star had to die for me, and you, and all the rest of us, to be here.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I was looking up to the sky and was thinking MB Midnight Blue....

I was looking up at the sky yesterday evening. The sky was an amazing shade of sapphire blue, impossible to reproduce with any dye or ink. (Transmitted light is hard to capture in reflected light--ie on paper.) It was absolutely beautiful and no shade of ink comes close.

If we never had doubt we would never explore the wonderous things that the Universe has to offer.

Embrace your doubt and use it to explore other things. The pens and ink will always be there for you to come back to.

Can you believe it .... the only stars we have in Las Vegas are on the strip.... we have too much ambient light to see the stars. I think we have so much light here that even Phoenix complains. Nevertheless, the next time I see a shooting star, Seeks, I'll wish for you to have happy inky thoughts.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Check out a map of the Bakken region of North Dakota from space at night. That, my friends, is light pollution on an epic scale.

Just ultimately seems like a lot of money and work for not much pay out. Especially as, at least with my profession, things are moving away from archived "written" material to digital media.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan