T W S B I Loaner Program

amberleadavis

Show us a picture!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• TheRealScubaSteve

• ScienceChick

• Sailor Kenshin

Art (LahLahLaw) will be out of commission for about a month. New baby and a move are keeping him busy. So, if you are in desperate need of one of his nibs, buy the ones he has in the classifieds.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Don't forget, these are loaners. I have a committed relationship with my TWSBIs. They are allowed to go out and flirt with others, but they must come home!

Costs to have your own....The 540s are no longer available, but the 580 AL is a terrific update and worthy successor. The colored ones like I have, the amber and the sapphire are no longer available. The ROC was my favorite, the USA has the same colors. It is beautiful.

Anyway, pen $50 for clear or RB/USA - $60 for AL. Plus shipping from TWSBI to you or to LahLahLaw. Custom Nib from LahLahLaw - $35 including shipping back to you. If you want the stub with one of the pens above and then a Tomahawk, you will need to buy another (second) nib for $23 from TWSBI. The cost to customize the second nib is $25.

The bold and 1.1 stubbed Tomahawks are great. The 1.5 stub is as broad as my Sheaffer BB stub. It's HUGE. I love it, I use it daily, but it is HUGE.

OR, if you buy the Clear 580 (or some of the classics) you can get a stub and the price is $55 with the stub. Plus shipping from TWSBI to you or to LahLahLaw. Custom Nib from LahLahLaw - $35 including shipping back to you.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_1959.jpg

Here's a crumby photo. The lighting does not want to cooperate tonight. Ignore the double "yet," too.

Not sure how to enlarge the photos - if anyone knows let me know!

IMG_20141031_204853.jpg

IMG_20141031_210930.jpg

Edited by TheRealScubaSteve

La la la . . . LahLah, are you listening? I don't have my own pen yet, but I want Amber's TWSBI nib. I love the flex, though I'm afraid to really try using it on a loaner.What's funny is that I thought that some of my pens were really smooth. They all pale in comparison and feel horribly scratchy after using your TWSBI. Thanks a lot. :rolleyes:

Howdy! I'm back online:). Thank you guys for the kind words. I really love these nibs, I can't get enough of them, I've stubbed nearly all of my own pens, from Jinhaos to Montblancs and vintage Sheaffers.

As far as flexing the Tomahawk-ed nib, I would advise against it. The modification is not really a flex mod. What it does is allow for spring during regular writing, without having to consciously exert pressure. Also, I think it looks pretty darn neat, a mean-looking nib that writes paradoxically smooth. I'm not sure if I'm breaking forum rules by describing the nib here, I hope not!:). I'll have a site up soon so stay tuned!

Art

@arts_nibs

Well... since I have mine back from Art....

I am willing to loan out a few more.

Get one while you can! I have at least 8 pens inked up right now and have not put down that darn TWSBI since I got it. As Art said, the nib just looks bad***. :D

That's a pretty cool ink - Amber wrote some of the letter out with it. Even without gold flakes, it's a nice color. I've been watching the reviews of it and it'll be going on my Christmas list.

The bold and 1.1 stubbed Tomahawks are great. The 1.5 stub is as broad as my Sheaffer BB stub. It's HUGE. I love it, I use it daily, but it is HUGE.

Originally, what size nib did the Tomahawk have that you sent me? Looking at buying one and sending it to Art after using yours for less than 3 days. :rolleyes: So much for waiting til Christmas. More like an early Birthday present.

Snap a close up and let's ask Art.

I only had Broads and Stubs. I can't tell them apart now.

Snap a close up and let's ask Art.

I only had Broads and Stubs. I can't tell them apart now.

Here's a few shots. Red ink (top pen) has a Nemosine .8mm italic and the bottom is Art's TWSBI nib (blue ink). Looks to my eyes like the .8mm has bigger tines, yet the TWSBI writes broader (with minimal-no pressure so the tines were not spread).

DSCF1214.JPGDSCF1215.JPGDSCF1216.JPG

Here's a few shots. Red ink (top pen) has a Nemosine .8mm italic and the bottom is Art's TWSBI nib (blue ink). Looks to my eyes like the .8mm has bigger tines, yet the TWSBI writes broader (with minimal-no pressure so the tines were not spread).

DSCF1214.JPGDSCF1215.JPG

I can't see it well, but if it's a broad nib it will have a 'B' on the side near the base of the nib. The reason for the differences in physical nib width relative to writing line width is because the Nemosine nib is really a stub. Xfountainpens lists them as "calligraphy" nibs, I have two of them and they are true stubs. The Tomahawk is a cursive-italic with a flatter writing surface, so it writes pretty much the same width line as the physical width. The Nemosine's stub has rounded edges, so the part that actually touches paper will not be the true nib with side-to-side. At least that's what I suppose to be the case...

@arts_nibs

Okay, part of what makes this confusing.... I had a few 1.5s in addition to the 1.1s and I thought I had more Bs than 1.1s and 1.5s combined because the ROC, and colored 540s were not available in stubs. However, I did acquire more nibs. I've pulled out the TWSBIs I have on hand and took a few pics. The Bs are marked. I only had a few (3 at most, and I think only one) 1.5s.

Your photos are too dark for me to tell.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20141103_213356.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20141103_213351.jpg

From Left to Right

2nd Pen - 580 AL is a B

3rd Pen with Amber Collar is a B - small B next to the T

5th Pen (Trident Nib) is a B

6th Pen has a silver ring at top is a B

Last pen (smoke) has a tiny B on the left side of the nib next to the T

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20141103_213340.jpg

Here is another shot of just the first four.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20141103_213054.jpg

This has no markings with the naked eye, nor a loupe. It must me a 1.1mm - I put my 1.1mm Monteverde tip to tip and they are spot on width-wise. Seems odd that TWSBI would bother marking some nibs but not all.

IMG_20141104_011326.jpg

That looks like a 1.1 to me. The stubs are the only ones not marked. The B looks like a light 8 on the nibs where it is next to the B. I will try to get better close ups.