Restoration Of Waterman 100 Year Lucite Pen

LargeSofa

Hi, just picked one of these up... turns out to be the transparent Red lucite ladies version... in really great shape as my understanding is that the lucite held up better than the later celluloid version. Binder has a picture of one on his reference pages. The barrel seems a lot more translucent than mine (mine is ridged, his pic is not). I am planning to restore the pen myself.

I was able to pull out the press fit grip section.

I ordered a new sac and sac cement.

Lever seems to operate well and I can see the pressure bar (or lever bar) inside.

I have a couple questions:

1) can I safely soak the barrel in jb pen flush and then try to wipe the inside of the barrel. If yes, can I leave the lever mech and the pressure bar inside. Can I remove the pressure bar to better clear the inside of the barrel? I see Binders examples on removing a waterman pressure bar - seems difficult, no?

2) can I soak the grip section, nib, feed and section? water or jb pen flush? can I soak the barrel?

thanks.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LargeSofa

• ANM

• OcalaFlGuy

• Romagno

Top Posters In This Topic

I would send that pen Straight to Ron Zorn.

Some pens you just take No chances on.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl- who Definitely did not resac even my own Estie Visumaster

now what fun would that be? and especially with the great resources available here and online... I take my chances - like an adventure in life.

Don't remove the pressure bar. It is very difficult to put back in. I would not soak barrel either. If anything, I'd just wipe it out with a dry swab. If you already have the section off, It would be ok to soak it with water and a little ammonia, then in clear water. Clean the nipple and attach the sac. Reassemble the pen and hope you have not done anything that you will regret for the rest of your life.

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

now what fun would that be? and especially with the great resources available here and online... I take my chances - like an adventure in life.

It depends on how much you value the pen. A HYP can be worth quite a bit, and a clear Lucite version, being rather less common commands even more. I had a standard size one in red, and it sold for around $450

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

thank you all for the comments... and thank you Ron for the wealth of information you share.

I value the pen a lot from an appreciation standpoint, not a monetary standpoint. And I will appreciate most knowing I have got it working again.

one further question - SHOULD the barrel be translucent on these? The cap and barrel end are, but not the middle of the barrel. I won't go crazy trying to clean it, but just want to know.

I won't remove the lever box or the pressure bar... but will have to knockout the nib because it is slightly misaligned.

will ask questions about that when the time comes. Taking things slowly. Getting tools and supplies and having fun.

SHOULD the barrel be translucent on these? The cap and barrel end are, but not the middle of the barrel.

I currently have a ruby red Hundred Year pen inked and in the "rotation." Mine is a smooth-barrel version, with the proper (massive) fine semi-flex gold nib.

The barrel is translucent and the pen is fitted with a silicone sac. Thus, when you shine a flashlight through the barrel, you can see the ink level in the sac! If your barrel is not translucent, it may be due to deteriorated black latex sac residue.

While I completely understand your desire to refurbish your pen (which I also do with almost all my pens), because I have had other Hundred Year pens with slightly crazed barrels, I had Ron Zorn restore mine because of the value, both monetary and personal, of this pen.

He did a masterful job, and the pen is an absolute joy to use.

"... et eritis odio omnibus propter nomen meum..."

my pen looks very much identical to this one. note the dark barrel.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sean_gosse/5147490566/

please make no mistake, I have no doubt RZ would be a masterful job, however, this pen is in great condition, simply needs a new sac and slight adjustment to a nib (nothing majorly wrong with the tines)... as I said, will get to that after I get my knockout block sometime this week... not in a rush. I have many pens to use with about 20 inked and am enjoying 2 parkers that I got with this HYP, which just needed a flush... a parket signet (very fine) and a parker 21 with a V clip with a nice juicy line...

If the nib just needs minor adjustment, you don't need to knock out the feed. You can probably adjust it in place with your fingers, especially if you know what you are doing. Unless the feed is too clogged to clean with a soaking, leave it in.

okay. will see... perhaps you can't tell, but I have NO idea what I am doing... reading and doing as I go along. thank you for the suggestion. will consider this when I research more about the nib adjustment part. right now focussing on changing the sacs on my sheaffer snorkel and parker jack knife... bought with the HYP and the two parkers. 5 pens in all... didn't pay much, so not concerned about the opportunity cost if something goes wrong...

The fact that one paid very little for a pen that just happens to be valuable and desirable, is not a reason to not be concerned if one damages it during restoration.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

thanks for your perspective... I keep this in mind and try not to mess it up. Hence the research and the ordering of tools necessary to get the job done. I want the experience. Perhaps you might suggest other ways to gain such valuable experience. These are the pens I landed by sheer luck... I don't feel as though I am being flippant. my Mont Blanc patron of the arts or Pelikan Gaudi and Toledos I send out to guys like RZ when I need an adjustment. thanks... the first sac I will actually change is on the sheaffer snorkel and on a parker vacumatic that's been in my drawer for a few years.

I suggest you practice on cheap throw away pens. By the time you buy the supplies, tools and repair books, you may have spent more than it would cost to have it repaired by a pro.

PS Sheaffer Snorkel pens have more in them than just a sac replacement. The sac is sealed inside the snorkel mechanism. It also has other parts than will probably need replacing. It is a fairly complicated operation.

Edited by ANM

• 7 months later...

Large Sofa, how did the restoration of the hundred year pen go? Also your other restorations?

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)