Writing Envelope Address In Fp Ink, Was It A Mistake?

aussielondon

you love Pilot haha, and I am a Parker man.

I agree with people that say that in the old days before ballpens mail was delivered fine (not sure what the failure of delivery rate was back then though as if both the address and return were smeared to become illegible then it would be dead letter mail)... not sure if stats were kept back then on that stuff.

But I choose ink from what ever company gives something good.

#Nope

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussielondon

• Icywolfe

• KBeezie

• rogerb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's always a surprise for the recipient to get a hand-addressed envelope, so I always take my letters into the post office and put 'em into the slot that goes straight into the 1st class mail sack..

It's always a surprise for the recipient to get a hand-addressed envelope, so I always take my letters into the post office and put 'em into the slot that goes straight into the 1st class mail sack..

It's always fun to receive an envelope addressed in a nice elegant spencerian script with what appears to be a very flexy xxf nib using Noodler's Apache Sunset, even if the ink has no waterproofing what-so-ever. Got an envelope like that a week or so ago which contained a thank-you note.

I think with addressing it's best to print the letters when handwritten in large clear numbers and letters lol.... imagine writing the address in Copperplate :P

I think with addressing it's best to print the letters when handwritten in large clear numbers and letters lol.... imagine writing the address in Copperplate :P

It would be awesome... even if it did take a few more days to arrive. (though probably sticker a printed version of the To: Address to the back corner).

It would be awesome... even if it did take a few more days to arrive. (though probably sticker a printed version of the To: Address to the back corner).

A few more days??? More like it arriving in the wrong continent lol.. AUSTRALIA and AUSTRIA are very close word-wise but not geographically... I want to make sure they know it's going to the land downunder... ...where women go and make thunder :D

A few more days??? More like it arriving in the wrong continent lol.. AUSTRALIA and AUSTRIA are very close word-wise but not geographically... I want to make sure they know it's going to the land downunder... ...where women go and make thunder :D

Like this?

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2013/03/21/what-happens-if-the-united-states-postal-service-express-mails-a-very-important-package-to-the-wrong-country&view=comments

Don't you mean

Where women glow and men plunder
Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

lol I never paid attention to the lyrics, it's not exactly a meaningful song.. I also only sing it when drunk..... I do obviously know the words to my national anthem though (Australia) and also "God Save the Queen" and I know about 90% of the words to the USA anthem for some reason too, not sure why though.

It's all about the rockets red glare lol :D (quick edit nobody noticed haha)

Haha, the USPS did that? And here I was praising the USPS... oh dear... can't bad as French or Italian post... at least you don't lost most items (stolen) or have lazy posties always on strike (France)

Edited by aussielondon

lol I never paid attention to the lyrics, it's not exactly a meaningful song.. I also only sing it when drunk..... I do obviously know the words to my national anthem though (Australia) and also "God Save the Queen" and I know about 90% of the words to the USA anthem for some reason too, not sure why though.

It's all about the rockets red glare lol :D (quick edit nobody noticed haha)

Haha, the USPS did that? And here I was praising the USPS... oh dear... can't bad as French or Italian post... at least you don't lost most items (stolen) or have lazy posties always on strike (France)

I once had the USPS guy deliver my package to some random guy on the street.

But you can have some fun reading this:

http://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume6/v6i4/postal-6-4.html

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

Oh this article looks fun already haha.

Well I put less postage than I should when posting international, not inly did they not cancel the stamps (I put like 20 stamps of small values to make the total cost as I am a just like that haha.

So over here looks like it's opposite, you can send less postage and get away with it haha.

Here some political parties have freepost (business reply mail) addresses, and you can simply write FREEPOST and the address and people were posting them bricks so they had to pay the postage... I got a feeling the USPS has got it slightly more organised then here.

Also the USA is a far larger country, so it's amazing they can do next day delivery from remote areas of California to anywhere in the USA on east coast.

I will finish reading the article, seems interesting, haha

Btw, USPS is good as I ordered some Virginia Tobacco seeds online from... well Virginia lol (makes sense haha) and they arrived at my house in London in 5 days! That's quick to me! And your stamps have other things rather than just the head of the Queen on them for some variety lol

Edited by aussielondon

My brother-in-law is the Postmaster of a small town in Massachusetts. Wonder what he would think of this article (personally I was amused).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

If I was sending internationally, I'd take more precaution.

But usually you are required to fill out a customs form in print, and they base the printed postage barcode based off that when they type it in.

Edited by KBeezie

If I was sending internationally, I'd take more precaution.

But usually you are required to fill out a customs form in print, and they base the printed postage barcode based off that when they type it in.

Only for parcels... I "possibly may have" sent some Tobacco seeds to Australia even though they are a banned import :P .. Just put them loose at the bottom of the envelope and they never scan letters individually (only parcels), they just run sniffer dogs over the letter stacks at customs entry and thats for drugs or bombs only, so the only way it could be found is if it was in the same tray bundle of letters as a letter containing drugs that a sniffer dog detected, as then they scan each letter in that bundle to narrow it down (seeds are not exactly a legal import into Australia and Tobacco growing is illegal there).

In any case, as Tobacco seeds are not illegal in the UK I am not breaking any laws if I "accidentally" use an envelope to post my letter that I forgot I had seeds in ;)

Customs declarations are only for parcels I am 100% sure of that

Ok, this simply can't stand without SOMEONE posting it. :lol:

OH GOD!!!!!!!! HAHA :D

I didn't know this song was so popular in the states, lol

It is unlikely that the address will smear along the postal route. People wrote many letters for many years before the current batch of almost-perfectly-waterproof inks were around. If it's still a worry:

- put some tape over the address, as others have suggested

- use a vintage permanent ink for envelopes. Sheaffer Skrip (look for the blue and yellow label on the "topwell" bottles) and Parker Quink (the art deco bottles with "Solv-X") are stubborn.

- buy a ballpoint (aka "biro"). A "BiC Crystal" is cheaper and simpler than finding a waterproof ink just for addressing an envelope.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I think I usually use a FP ink, and I never had a problem.

USPS will do a good job, I hope.

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

For what it's worth... I recently sent a birthday card to my nephew -- wrote a short note, signed the card, sealed the envelope, and addressed it with a bold rollerball pen. I was proud that the address turned out as well as it did -- lines fairly straight and evenly spaced -- and prouder yet that I was able to affix the postage stamp squarely, always a challenge for me. I rubber-stamped my return address, and that turned out well for a change. What a relief, I thought -- a rather decent-looking envelope! I even took a few moments to admire my success. Although it had rained overnight, it was a sunny morning, and I called my dog (who always enjoys accompanying me to our country mailbox), leashed her up, and headed out the door, birthday card in hand. Then, if we're going to be dramatic about all this, all hell broke loose. My dog, a small chihuahua/terrier mix, saw a rabbit and darted toward it, jerking the leash out of my hand -- as well as the birthday card; which fell, naturally, address-side down onto the still wet stoop. At this point, I found myself more concerned with the dropped birthday card than with my freshly liberated pooch. I immediately picked up the card, flipped it over, and gasped when I saw the smudges and smears. The address was perfectly legible, but... it was no longer pristine. Shame on me for having been so vain, I thought, having taken the time previously to take such pride in my hand-addressed envelope, such a simple thing. Still, I wondered, what will my nephew think of me now! After retrieving my dog without great effort, thankfully, I returned to my desk to correct the "damage" as best I could, going over a few of the affected letters and numerals with a ball pen -- not that it was at all necessary, but -- well, having read the previous posts -- you know what I mean. This time, I let my loyal companion enjoy the comforts of home while I, sloppy birthday card in hand, ventured out alone to the mailbox, looking at the doctored address all the while, worrying, worrying, chiding myself for being so careless as to let such a tragedy unfold. I even went to the mailbox twice afterward just to look -- I had to -- at the once "perfect" envelope, now marred. I stewed over it all morning.

By the time the postman came to pick up the mail in the early afternoon, it was pouring rain, and I envisioned his already wet hand opening the mailbox, clumsily pulling out the card into the elements, and the letters and numerals running down the envelope like the opening credits of a bad horror movie. Somehow, I found great relief in this, realizing that -- in actuality -- I was in control of none of this, neither the rain nor the rabbit, and that everything played out as it should have, as it was meant to be. I was at peace.

Following my recovery (and a course of anti-anxiety medication) -- and learning that, indeed, my nephew did receive his birthday card -- I now worry far less about addressing envelopes, consoling my spirit with the gentle strain of Doris Day's "Que Sera, Sera." Bless her heart. She knew!

Although, admittedly, I now often reach for a broad-point ball pen after sealing my envelope, I do relish -- on those rare occasions -- living on the edge, taking my chances, and addressing my envelope with a rollerball or -- more aptly -- a fountain pen; for, my comrades, what will be will be...

Edited by Bradley
http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/Bradley_064/th_Bradleyssignature.jpg

You could do what I have done - write on the envelope, and then put a piece of clear packing tape over the addressee.

+1

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

With so many excellent water resistant fountain pen inks available, I don't really get why anyone picks one that isn't water resistant for general use. Is it that important to get exactly the right color? Well, some people obviously think it is, and there is a good chance that an accident won't happen.

I'd be using a water resistant ink for both the letter and envelope, though.

For me it's not just color but many other properties. Nib creep, lack of shading line widening and maintenance are major irritations for many inks advertised as bulletproof. Iron gall inks have amazing shading properties and hold line widths quite well, but are quite dry inks. Sailor and platinum nano inks have good lubrication but I've found nib dry out to be problematic.

I hope this better explains why some people opt not to use waterproof inks - it's not just color. In the rare times I need water resistance, such as on envelopes, I feel it's no trouble at all to keep a small stub of a candle in my briefcase to rub on addresses.

Edited by cellmatrix

OH GOD!!!!!!!! HAHA :D

I didn't know this song was so popular in the states, lol

There was a time you couldn't turn on a radio station and NOT hear this song. Any American of a certain age (and yes I mean middle aged) will recognize this tune.

As for the envelope issue, it really depends on the paper the envelope is made of. So many of the inserted reply envelopes in bills and business correspondence are of such poor quality almost any fountain pen with bleed and feather like crazy. Those I generally address using a Montblanc ballpoint I keep in the pen cup on my desk. If I do use a fountain pen on better quality envelopes (I just got some Original Crown Mill that I haven't tried yet), I'll use one of the Noodler's Warden inks, Bad Belted Kingfisher being one of my favorites (although I just got some Upper Ganges Blue and Whaleman's Sepia I'm itching to try...). There's always at least one pen on my desk filled with a permanent ink.