A Visit To The D C Supershow Ink Testing Table

Jared

My favorite part of the DC Pen Show (Supershow) is the ink testing table - it's free and available 24 hours a day in the hotel lobby for the length of the show.

post-4426-0-96298300-1410453271.jpg

Our very own plistumi, testing some of the new Akkerman ink in tester bottles, brought by Vanness Pens.

post-4426-0-87968900-1410453230.jpg

post-4426-0-73588200-1410453490.jpg

post-4426-0-61061100-1410456929_thumb.jpg

Vanness sold their 60ml bottles of Akkerman at lightning speed. Some colors were sold out within minutes of the show's start.

post-4426-0-97956600-1410453094.jpg

In order of unavailability (what sold out first) it was #11, #5, and #23 & 26. I'm not sure what went after I left Saturday at lunch, but I hope they sold out...

fpn_1398637136__akkerman_inflacon_150_ml

Sailor brought their new inks, which were added to the table.

post-4426-0-01609800-1410453405.jpg

post-4426-0-69449900-1410453449.jpg

Also, the full line of standard Montblanc inks.

post-4426-0-53293100-1410453381.jpg

In addition to the new inks, there was the usual set of Noodler's, Private Reserve, J.Herbin, Franklin Christoph, Organics Studio, Sailor, Aurora, Omas, Lamy, Monteverde, Parker, Sheaffer, Pelikan, etc. As well as a hodge-podge of other inks.

post-4426-0-06790800-1410456791_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, Diamine didn't make it to the table this year. It appears that they are running out of table space...

It's a great show, and I'd recommend it highly to anyone who's able to attend.

post-4426-0-29637000-1410456511_thumb.jpg

post-4426-0-10316600-1410456984_thumb.jpg

(visible is only part of the show... it seems endless at first as this is only one of many rooms).

Edited by Jared

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jared

• Cyber6

• Brian Anderson

• Pentulant

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Woooo..thank you for posting.

Can you talk a little about how the ink testing table worked? Were people dipping their own pens? The neat freak in me is freakin' out a little LOL

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

OH WOW!!!>.. The ink table at the Long Island Pen Show was one fourth of that... and I spend half a day there... :P

I would have die and gone to heaven if I was at the DC Show... I am glad I didn't go... I have kids you know... :lticaptd:

Thanks for the Pics....

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Woooo..thank you for posting.

Can you talk a little about how the ink testing table worked? Were people dipping their own pens? The neat freak in me is freakin' out a little LOL

This is how the ink testing table works:

The show is Thursday - Sunday. Bob Johnson's minions help set up the table first thing on Thursday. For the last two years I have helped with the set up, as the minions aren't ink folks and I like to see that all inks are represented at the table. Diamine didn't make it on the table this year because the 30ml bottles are easily tipped over and require two-sided tape for mounting on a large platter for display and stability. The hotel failed to bring the platter, so no Diamine. Bob has many boxes of ink (huge numbers of Private Reserve and many Noodlers), which are placed in sections on plastic wrapped tables provided by the hotel. The caps are removed, washed & stored in Ziploc bags by brand for reapplication after the show and to prevent theft (Iroshizuku inks have disappeared in the middle of the night). In addition to the inks, pads of paper, q-tips, glasses with water, paper towels and dip pens with various nibs are placed in areas on the tables by the inks. The dip pen nibs leave a lot to be desired, the q-tips are cheap and non-absorbent, and the paper can vary each year, although Anderson Pens (the largest ink seller at the show) has provided some nice paper recently. I often bring my own dip pen & nib, paper and sometimes q-tips. I try my best to try the new inks first, as they're not only new to me, but unspoiled. Although the ink table minions try to change out the water frequently, it is often quite dirty. Dirty water and failure to cleaning nibs between inks makes for inaccurate colors in some bottles. Some Noodler's ink bottles have been in use for at least 7 years (my first Supershow). You are able to dip & fill your own pen, which many do, but the recent Akkerman tester bottles were so narrow in the top that it was impossible to get anything larger than a dip pen in the ink.

Any other questions, please let me know.

Edited by Jared

Wow that was incredible!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Unfortunately, my camera didn't do too well in the low light, so most of the photos didn't come out well. Crazyorange apparently used a better camera than mine and took some great shots. I'd recommend you look at them for a more complete view of the available ink at the table.

The only problem with the testing tables at DCSS is that where it's set up has horrible lighting, even in the daytime.

Oh, and that I didn't get a chance to test the new Sailor inks.... And I'd swear that I saw a bottle of the reformulated MB Violet, but then couldn't find it later on.

I didn't spend as much time at the tables this year, but last year I probably spent hours there, because then I had a lot fewer inks.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I attended one of the Chicago pen shows but there was no ink table...or I missed it. Do all shows have ink tables?

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

The only problem with the testing tables at DCSS is that where it's set up has horrible lighting, even in the daytime.

I agree - the lighting is limited. If they had it under the big skylight in the middle it would be much better, but as the show has grown, so has the need for more space, so paying customers/tables get preference. The ink is a side show, and gets little attention comparatively. Also, there is a lot of ink brought by Bob to the show that never makes it to the table - all vintage. Waterman, Parker, Sheaffer, Montblanc, etc. Also, the full line of the now discontinued Noodler's Swisher Inks. I think his preference for display is modern inks currently available for purchase from his paying customers.

Edited by Jared

I attended one of the Chicago pen shows but there was no ink table...or I missed it. Do all shows have ink tables?

No, most pen shows do not have this. Actually, I think DC is the only show to have this, but then again they don't call it the Super Show for nothing!

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Wow! Thanks for posting those pics - I've never been to a pen show and am eagerly counting down the days to Michigan next month. That said I am going to make a point to go to DC next year - it seems amazing!

Thank you for posting more details. I'd definitely be going armed with q-tips.

CRAZY that someone would steal the bottles of ink.

This is how the ink testing table works:

The show is Thursday - Sunday. Bob Johnson's minions help set up the table first thing on Thursday. For the last two years I have helped with the set up, as the minions aren't ink folks and I like to see that all inks are represented at the table. Diamine didn't make it on the table this year because the 30ml bottles are easily tipped over and require two-sided tape for mounting on a large platter for display and stability. The hotel failed to bring the platter, so no Diamine. Bob has many boxes of ink (huge numbers of Private Reserve and many Noodlers), which are placed in sections on plastic wrapped tables provided by the hotel. The caps are removed, washed & stored in Ziploc bags by brand for reapplication after the show and to prevent theft (Iroshizuku inks have disappeared in the middle of the night). Once inks are placed on the table, pads of paper, q-tips, glasses with water, paper towels and dip pens with various nibs are places in areas on the tables by the inks. The dip pen nibs leave a lot to be desired, the q-tips are cheap and non-absorbent, and the paper can vary each year, although Anderson Pens (the largest ink seller at the show) has provided some nice paper recently. I often bring my own dip pen & nib, paper and sometimes q-tips. I try my best to try the new inks first, as they're not only new to me, but unspoiled. Although the ink table minions try to change out the water frequently, it is often quite dirty. Dirty water and failure to cleaning nibs between inks makes for inaccurate colors in some bottles. Some Noodler's ink bottles have been in use for at least 7 years (my first Supershow). You are able to dip & fill your own pen, which many do, but the recent Akkerman tester bottles were so narrow in the top that it was impossible to get anything larger than a dip pen in the ink.

Any other questions, please let me know.

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

No, most pen shows do not have this. Actually, I think DC is the only show to have this, but then again they don't call it the Super Show for nothing!

I have not attended most pen shows, but I was at the Long Island Pen Show..and they had a beautiful ink table. They even provided free refreshments (coffee/tea/cookies).. you can easily spend all day just testing inks... :lol:

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I have not attended most pen shows, but I was at the Long Island Pen Show..and they had a beautiful ink table. They even provided free refreshments (coffee/tea/cookies).. you can easily spend all day just testing inks... :lol:

D'Oh! That's right, it was right in front of my table as I recall. Ok, so Long Island does it too. :)

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

D'Oh! That's right, it was right in front of my table as I recall. Ok, so Long Island does it too. :)

Oh yeah... I forgot I met your lovely wife. :lol:

**** BauerInks.ca ****