The Hobbit - A Handwriting Experiment

manoart

Hey there,

I am quite the Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit fan and always loved the penmanship and scripts displayed in the movies. So I searched for the appropriate fonts to write in that specific style. In the process I came across an amazing project idea which gave me the motivation to give it a try and write the first few pages of The Hobbit. I especially liked the idea to create a cover and a contents-page. So I practiced the new found scripts a little bit and gave it a go. Here are the results so far:

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r799/manoart/hobbit_1_web_zpse644303c.png

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r799/manoart/hobbit_2_web_zpsdc94e5de.png

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r799/manoart/hobbit_3_web_zpscebecd64.png

I used four different fonts total. Mainly "kereru" for the Text and small headlines, the "party business"-font for the slightly bigger headlines, the dwarf runes for the contents page (and signature :)) and the "Hobbiton Brush Hand Font" for Tolkiens name. The inks I used were Noodler's Black, Diamine Red Dragon (ironically not for the dragon but the letters) and Diamine Poppy Red (for the Dragon).

I hope you like it and find the resources helpful if you were searching for those kind of scripts as well.

Til then, have a nice day.

Manuel

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• manoart

• typophile

• GandalfTheGrey

• Kosmic-kowgirl

Exceptional work! Congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Apart from one mistake in centering the : Compiled from....

It is very pleasing to the eye and surprisingly well readable.

Well done....

I wish I had even 1 % of your skill.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Thanks for such a lovely example of what to do with the fountain pen hobby.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

What pen or pens did you use?

It's just beautiful.

Hey Maradi,

first of: thanks a lot :). Now the pens: for the headlines and dwarf runes I used a Pilot Parallel 1.5 and a Lamy accent 1.5. The dragon was drawn with a Lamy Safari F and the actual writing was done with a Noodler's Nib Creaper.

Absolutely stunning!

I love that runes actually have the title and "handwritten by..." in them.

Hehe, yeah, I tried out a few other options and this one had the right amount of letters in it and provided some kind of a "hidden" signature. I also didn't want to just copy the first line. And thanks a lot by the way :)

Fantastic work! Always glad to find a fellow Tolkien fan! That's my little project you linked to and I have to say, yours looks much nicer! I proboably should have chosen nicer paper, and a different ink, ah well, it's still a nice project and I'm flattered to have inspired someone! How far are you planning on taking it? Is this it or will you do the whole chapter? Or the whole book?

Edited by typophile

Typophile, yours is great too.They both remind me of how much my hobbit script needs work. On the subject of paper, what paper did you use manoart?

Fantastic work! Always glad to find a fellow Tolkien fan! That's my little project you linked to and I have to say, yours looks much nicer! I proboably should have chosen nicer paper, and a different ink, ah well, it's still a nice project and I'm flattered to have inspired someone! How far are you planning on taking it? Is this it or will you do the whole chapter? Or the whole book?

Hey there typophile,

thank you very much. I guess when you look back on things, one nearly always thinks of doing some things differently :). And if I keep writing a bit more I don't know yet. Perhaps that was it, just because it took me sooo freaking long to do it in the first place :). The paper is so thick that I can't use some kind of shine through underlying sheet of lined paper, but have to measure and draw all lines myself. And I'm sure that if I'm continuing, that I for sure do not write the entire book but just the first chapter maximum.

Greetings,

Manuel

Typophile, yours is great too.They both remind me of how much my hobbit script needs work. On the subject of paper, what paper did you use manoart?

Hey GandalfTheGrey,

the paper I used was: Aquarelle-paper from a german brand called Schoellershammer, 220 gsm.

Edited by manoart

Just beautiful! Well done...

~April

One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,

see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Very, very nice work, Manuel

To add to the idea of Tolkien and Hobbits and handwriting, see my signature below. The note came out of a German book on Sir Gawain and the Green Dragon in Tolkien's library apparently used for source material in his scholarly writing on Sir Gawin.

Hey there typophile,

thank you very much. I guess when you look back on things, one nearly always thinks of doing some things differently :). And if I keep writing a bit more I don't know yet. Perhaps that was it, just because it took me sooo freaking long to do it in the first place :). The paper is so thick that I can't use some kind of shine through underlying sheet of lined paper, but have to measure and draw all lines myself. And I'm sure that if I'm continuing, that I for sure do not write the entire book but just the first chapter maximum.

Greetings,

Manuel

You're welcome! Only too true, I'm afraid though now I know what to change for my next book! (if I ever finish the Hobbit of course.) As for it taking a looooong time, I hear ya on that, in fact not being able to see the lines underneath prompted a huge delay in my project until I finally made a lightbox, which has been awesome! Even still I'm only just now finishing up chapter 1. It'll be a very long-term project, which is cool.

Even if you decide to stop here, with the first page, what you do have already is really impressive! Though I'd love to see a whole chapter like this.