Distilled Water Vs. Pre Boiled Water For Cleaning?

Sammyo

Boiling tap water would only take care of killing most biological material. If you have a problem with mold in your pens, you may want to follow this step, although some inks are more likely the source of the mold -- particularly if you like vintage ink. Boiling tap water will not remove minerals.

Distilled water on the other hand has removed dissolved materials from the tap water, by boiling the water and condensing the steam. Hence distilled water should only contain water and dissolved air (which will include trace pollutants and airborne biological material). Simply by handling your pens, you will likely introduce more foreign material than the trace material dissolved in distilled water.

The hardness of water is a measure of how much minerals are dissolved in the water. Much as hard water will make it difficult to wash your clothes, it may make it difficult to wash your pens. Hard water can be softened chemically. If you live in an area with extremely hard water, your water company should tell if so, you may want to use distilled water for your pens or invest in a water softener. In most places tap water is fine. If you live with normally hard water, you may want to rinse the pen the last time with distilled water if you are trying to maintain the pen in pristine condition or it is exceptionally valuable in some way to you.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sammyo

• Icywolfe

• pen2paper

• TimLawNYC

Just for the record, by boiling water and thus increasing temperature of the system, you actually influence solubilities. That is why fish die in warm waters due to decreased oxygen concentrations. But depending on the molecule in question, solubility can either increase or decrease with increased solubility. So there is some scientific merit to boil water to precipitate some impurities. But if you are able to quantitatively precipitate something from your tap water via boiling, you have other worries than your pens lol.

I think at the end of the day it comes down to an old fashioned way of thinking and doing things. You know, like only using pre-boiled water during the war? as I said it came from my grandad originally ;)

I honestly feel that the regularity of cleaning is more important than the type of water used. If you are cleaning once a month rather than when you remember to, it's not so much of an issue?

Edited for grammar error... typical, type too fast and review too late...

Edited by Sammyo

Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

I now a days just use filtered sink water. None of my pens broke nor grew a third leg yet.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

That made me laugh out loud...

Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

This...

... nor grew a third leg yet.

... and I laughed when I read it again

Sam O

The explanations for distilled vs boiled water above are spot on. In terms of cost and convenience, I must be missing something. Gallon jugs of distilled water are easy to find in most supermarkets, are not at all expensive. Locally here l see it in the range of $1 to $1.50 a gallon. Unless you're cleaning a heck of a lot of pens all the time shouldn't be an issue at least in my mind.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

Personally, I use tap water for the initial clean of the pen until all ink is gone, then use a pen flush a couple of times, then tap water again, and finally one flush of deionised water (the stuff you put in car batteries). I do the deionized as a last flush to prevent build up of stuff in the pen and don't use very much if it so a bottle lasts me a long time.

Hello Everyone,

When the time comes to flush out a pen; I usually flush out the bulk of the ink under a running cold water tap. Then I'll use a bulb syringe filled with distilled water to do the final flush. After that, I'll use the converter to draw distilled water INTO the nib two or three times - just so the flushing is done in both directions.

After that, I'll use a Kleenex, (paper towels are too stiff), wrapped around the nib to siphon out as much of the residual water in the feed as I can. I get a gallon jug of distilled water for around $1.25 and based on my current usage, I would estimate the jug is going to last me 12 to 18 months, (maybe more). Not a bad investment for $1.25 - plus absolutely no worries about mineral deposits or bacterial issues. :D

I also concur with those above who say boiling water only concentrates the lime and minerals in tap water and makes it worse. (However, boiling would eradicate any bacteria).

Best regards,

Chris

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

The quality of SE MI tap water is typically excellent.

That said, what has not been mentioned is that some areas condition (soften) their hard (well) water by filtering with salt.

How and where this filtering is directed could potentially affect your pen. Often specifically directed to clothes washing machines, and avoiding drinking water taps.

So if you have All city water your tap water should be fine. The Roch and Hills area do have a mix of city, well, and tower, so this is a valid inquiry.

Tap water is enough, you can also use herbin cleaning solution

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Our two communal wells pipe very hard water into our houses.

l'd have to clean the tea kettle, the drip coffee maker & my expensive espresso machine at least once a week if our well water was used.

We use bottle Reverse Osmosis water for all the above tasks.

My pens have also been cleaned with RO water ever since joining FPN, There, I discovered that you actually have to flush your pens once in a while.

My espresso machine is 11 years old without a single problem. Still pulls a great shot.

My pens have not shown any build-up of minerals that I can see on devices that use only our well water.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Tap water is what I use. Our water isn't what I would call soft, but not sure how hard it really is. I mostly use warm tap watrr though. I keep some distilled in the house though for other things including diluting ink.

Have been doing this way for years with no issues to date but see the potential value in a "final flush" approach anyway.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I send my water through a ZeroWater filter. The filter on the refrigerator isn't even remotely close as good. Normal tap water for my area is 265 ppm, the refrigerator filter reduces it to 211 ppm, and the ZeroWater lives up to its name, 0.

I use tap water from my bathroom.

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

Distilled water is pure water. It is heated to a vapor that is moved to a clean container and condensed.

All non-water is left behind. Distilled water leaves no "non-water" residue.

Boiled water is heated to 212 degrees, then cooled. Germs are dead, but everything that was present remains.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

What about the water vapour which turns to ice on your freezer walls?

I imagine that is quite pure (as long as it hasn't any frozen peas in it).

I must have about a gallon in my freezer right now :D

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)