My Very First Snokel Pen

LargeSofa

Hi, got my very first Sheaffer and its a snorkel pen... I looked how to fill it and ok, seems easy enough, but for some reason it seems opposite to what I see online, when I pull back, it sucks the ink ink, when I push it back in before retracting the snorkel, it expels the ink... so not sure how I could close it... any thoughts? Obviously this pen is old so no idea if it was monkeyed with... thank you.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LargeSofa

• KBeezie

• RMN

• kirchh

I did a video here, can you explain what you mean by opposite? (also the speed doesn't really matter, but poor seals may need it done more rapidly, if they're too poor they won't fill at all)

How certain are you that the Snorkel is restored and working? If the seals or sac is bad, no-go.

If you got it unrestored it's a very good chance it needs it's sac and seals replaced, and cleaned up.

The guy I use for that is Sean Nicholson (Write on Time Restoration), since last time I checked he's still doing it for $35 to restore a snorkel to like-new condition with a 1 year warranty.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Write-on-Time-Vintage-Pens-Watches-Restoration-and-Service/208871225809681

You can attempt to restore it yourself, with repair kits from fountainpensacs.com but usually I'd recommend getting your first professionally restored.

Edited by KBeezie

thanks for the info. what I mean is when I pull back it sucks up the ink, when I push back in, it expels the ink... so no way for me to screw the blind cap back down with ink in it.

I like the idea of sending it out for repair for $35. I only paid $10 for the pen...

$10 is a great deal if the feed/nib is still good and there's no cracks in the barrel/section, you'd be getting a steal even with the restoration.

thanks for the info. what I mean is when I pull back it sucks up the ink, when I push back in, it expels the ink... so no way for me to screw the blind cap back down with ink in it.

I like the idea of sending it out for repair for $35. I only paid $10 for the pen...

Sounds like someone repaired it, and then screwed on the barrel with the plunger screwed down, where you're supposed to screw the barrel into the section with the touchdown rod fully extended.

But Most likely It could also be an indication that the sac is bad or disintegrated which would make sense because then you're creating a vacuum with the rod, sucking up ink. This may be especially the case if it's acting exactly like a syringe. In which case you'll want to rinse it out with clear distilled water and have it sent off, and try to whisk as much water out as possible. Otherwise you might rust the springs if they're not already rusted.

I trust you tried filling it with water first before you ever tried to fill it with ink, you always do a water test with untested pens.

Also hopefully you did not attempt to fill straight from the bottle, since if you did, you could have contaminated your ink supply with old ink or fungus.

Here's a more or less detailed guide to take it appart and repair.

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/repair/snorkel_filler.htm

And a video of doing so with a desk pen (Same thing just longer barrel)

To give you an idea what is involved so you can decide to do it yourself, or just send if off for $35 to get it back like-new.

Edited by KBeezie

So info for when you get the pen back.

NEVER pull the tube out with the snorkel in fluid. It fills on the down stroke not upstroke. What you are doing might suck ink into the body of the pen instead of the sac.

The procedure with snorkels is to first extend the snorkel then pull the tube out fully. Place the snorkel in the ink and press the tube in fully. Hold the snorkel in the ink for a long ten count. Remove from ink and screw the snorkel back in.

They are great pens. Another pretty rapid turn-around repair person is Danny Fudge at The Write Pen.

Hi, got my very first Sheaffer and its a snorkel pen... I looked how to fill it and ok, seems easy enough, but for some reason it seems opposite to what I see online, when I pull back, it sucks the ink ink, when I push it back in before retracting the snorkel, it expels the ink... so not sure how I could close it... any thoughts? Obviously this pen is old so no idea if it was monkeyed with... thank you.

Well, it's been monkeyed with now...

Please see here for instructions on how to fill a Snorkel pen properly. The procedure you are using is incorrect, and you have been filling up the volume in the barrel outside the ink sac. That creates quite a mess, but more importantly, it will result in the spring rusting. Best plan is to disassemble it and dry all its parts, then send it out for restoration.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

guys, you are all awesome and thanks for the tips and help... I bought these pens (5 pens) to really get started with some monkeying around. I want to understand my little gems better and know how to work on them. I mainly have very expensive pens that I would not dare try (although have been recently pulling nibs and feeds on some of my Montegrappas and Pelikans - not hard once you know the way)... ok, I got the nib section unscrewed from the barrel following Richard's instructions. I was tight, but not schlacked... will look further after lunch. thx again... where is best place to buy tools and sacs, etc...

I have had good service from fountainpensacs.com and Woodbin.ca

Tools and consumables available from both. As kbeezie mentioned, fountainpensacs has snorkel kits.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

all seems very good so far... but one question on technique arises. I see to have the snorkel section where it is rolled down at the top to keep the sac section in place. What is the best way to tackle this type to loosen the edges. seems like the 3rd style where it has 4 distinct pinches would be easiest to undo. thx.

the instructions here have answered my question... my snorkel sac was crispy hard... when I poked it from the back.

will def order the kit of 3 for $10, what a great resource. thanks again.

onto research for my next two also bought last night - a waterman 100 year with perfect cap and barrel and a parker jack knife safety #20...

thanks again gents. I will be back with an update.

any good suggestions on what to use to "push out" the plug that holds the snorkel tube... I will heat it up a bit and pull the snorkel tube out before pushing out the plug. as stated in one of the repair instructions, I do not want to break the tail on snorkel tube. thanks.

any good suggestions on what to use to "push out" the plug that holds the snorkel tube... I will heat it up a bit and pull the snorkel tube out before pushing out the plug. as stated in one of the repair instructions, I do not want to break the tail on snorkel tube. thanks.

Piece of coat hanger.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

When I had the same problem, I managed to find a narrow enough allen key which I straightened out and it was just long enough for the task.

This is my first snorkel with a Triumph nib... I have two other snorkels, an Admiral and a PFM III...

It has arrived today... A Sheaffer Triumph Snorkel...

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc383/edulpj/IMG_20140910_180721871_zps6afc1b3f.jpg

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc383/edulpj/IMG_20140910_180735920_zps9c282b5b.jpg

Look at my horse, my horse is amazing!!!

This is my first snorkel with a Triumph nib... I have two other snorkels, an Admiral and a PFM III...

It has arrived today... A Sheaffer Triumph Snorkel...

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc383/edulpj/IMG_20140910_180721871_zps6afc1b3f.jpg

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc383/edulpj/IMG_20140910_180735920_zps9c282b5b.jpg

That's pretty, is it monogrammed?

That's pretty, is it monogrammed?

Unhappily yes... And impossible to remove... Good news that it was pretty cheap to buy (+/- 35 bucks)...

Look at my horse, my horse is amazing!!!