Is There A Link With People That Like Fountain Pens And Mechanical Watches?

aussielondon

Not for everyone. Some of us spend much time in facilities in the U.S. and elsewhere where phones or electronics are forbidden.

Probably some folks camped in wilderness beyond the reach of cell towers and battery chargers might appreciate a watch, too.

Of course, that does not justify getting an Omega when a Timex will do the job ;-)

School is a great example for that. Phone rings.... professors boots you out of class.

My phone when hay wire in my vacation to Arizona the sun was up and my phone said it was 9 pm. That said I was in a place where there was nothing.

Automatics a good one will self charge.

#Nope

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussielondon

• Icywolfe

• Baric

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree there are some correlations. For myself I have a couple of self-winding (a Seiko and a Russian watch called Voltov(sic?)-- been a while since I wore it); a disabled Concord Mariner, a disabled Swiss Army watch. My everyday watch these days is a Casio solar digital (no battery. Solar recharged capacitor; holds charge about 14 days I think; never pushed it).

There have been a number of threads on FPN along these lines. In addition to watches, many members seem to also have an affinity for a variety of hand tools -- especially knives. Also quite a number of us into archery; even IIRC into historical period reenactments.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

I think there is a link with people who like fountain pens and watches. Right now I'm wearing the same watch shown in Tasmith's photo above, but I have others, both quartz and mechanical. I'm as obsessed with them as I am with my fountain pens.

The link extends to those of us who shave with a double-edge safety razor using a brush and a puck of shaving soap. I would even include my love of jazz, antiques, and scotch as links in that chain of the finer things in life.

Sometimes the old school is the best school, but I will say that the watch Tasmith shows is my favorite. It's one of the most affordable and advanced pieces of technology available. The accuracy can not be beat.

Can I borrow your pen?

Yup, I like mechanical watches, although I have a small collection and I have done with watches something I cannot achieve with fountain pens - I am broadly happy with what I have and don't feel the need to keep buying more!

Certainly true for me -- I have had a number of automatic and manual watches over the years. I have managed to hold the line at three for the past 12 months -- a Stowa, an Omega DeVille Hour Vision, and a Panerai. The Omega is my so-called "grail" watch. As others have noted, fountain pens are far more friendly on the bank account than the mechanical watch habit.

Christopher Ward any good?

I always wonder what the profit margins must be for different watch brands....Panerai can simply slap a completely unmodified undecorated movement into a watch and sell it for thousands.

Edited by Keyless Works

Of course, that does not justify getting an Omega when a Timex will do the job ;-)

Of course it does. Any watch you choose for your own reasons is justification enough. Life would be so boring if everyone was the same.

Christopher Ward any good?

I always wonder what the profit margins must be for different watch brands....Panerai can simply slap a completely unmodified undecorated movement into a watch and sell it for thousands.

I like the CWL watches and consider them good. They work well and often exhibit a quirky British character when it comes to design. The watches are designed in the UK and made in Switzerland. CWL recently combined with Swiss movement developer Synergies Horlogéres to create their own in house movements. They also offer watches with upgraded standard movements from ETA, Ronda and Sellita. The one above is their Battle of Britain commemorative based on a Sellita-2000 movement. I also have a couple quartz Chronos based on Ronda movements.

http://www.fototime.com/15C0C992C3BA6F1/large.jpg

Count me in. I have a BUNCH of watches .. of which, I would guess, 97% of them are mechanical. In fact, I can only think of ONE digital only watch in my collection (not counting my GPS watches used for running). I do have a couple that are both mechanical and digital .. but the mechanical is the focus and the digital is just an "addition".

But Chinese movements never keep correct time. And they lose power very quickly. My ETA2824-2 can hold power for 24-36 hours while my chinese movement holds only about 8-12 hours.

I like mechanical pocket watches, but can only really afford the Chinese ones.

I have used 2 regularly for well over a year now, and they are more consistent than my fake Casio digital watch, and keep to better than 1minute/week. I find my fake Casio has an accuracy of 2 to 5 minutes a week, depending on how it's feeling. [i know it's a fake after researching when I realised how bad a timekeeper my new 'Casio' was and unfortunately found all the indicators of a fake on my watch. The shop had closed by this time & I couldn't take it back. I am keeping it until it dies.]

The movements also do 24 hrs per wind, no trouble, on both watches.

I have sold on about 20 at craft fairs - and I make sure I leave a guarantee slip in the pouch, so they know where to get hold of me. One has came back with a problem, and that was the winding screw couldn't be tightened up properly, so I replaced it.

Regards,

Richard

The link extends to those of us who shave with a double-edge safety razor using a brush and a puck of shaving soap. I would even include my love of jazz, antiques, and scotch as links in that chain of the finer things in life.

That made me think about razors, I use an electric Braun from 2006 (so it's almost vintage now haha) but I asked my father if he has great grandpa's old straight razor with the ivory handle, and he is trying to find it.

I would love to try using a straight edge (dad thinks I am barking mad haha) but I can strop it to proper use again.

Edited by aussielondon

I like the CWL watches and consider them good. They work well and often exhibit a quirky British character when it comes to design. The watches are designed in the UK and made in Switzerland. CWL recently combined with Swiss movement developer Synergies Horlogéres to create their own in house movements. They also offer watches with upgraded standard movements from ETA, Ronda and Sellita. The one above is their Battle of Britain commemorative based on a Sellita-2000 movement. I also have a couple quartz Chronos based on Ronda movements.

http://www.fototime.com/15C0C992C3BA6F1/large.jpg

those are some seriously classy timepieces there mate! :)

I must confess to being another fan of mechanical watches along with fountain pens, old school wet shaves with a safety razor, classic cars, firearms, and nearly all things mechanical.

The watches, however are not a hobby of mine. I have 2 mechanicals & 2 quartz analog watches. The mechanical watches are modern and on the less expensive side- a Kenneth Cole and an Invicta. I would love to get deeper into watch collecting, but I have neither the time nor funds for yet another hobby.

Edited by byggyns

"Over the Mountain

Of the Moon

Down the Valley of the Shadow

Ride, boldly ride,"

The shade replied,

"If you seek for Eldorado." - E. A. Poe