Is There A Link With People That Like Fountain Pens And Mechanical Watches?

aussielondon

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussielondon

• Icywolfe

• Baric

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Baric and mango cheesecake: I love the watch but I don't want to get drunk and damage it or get mugged etc, as not only is it expensive but it's special as my dad gave it to me.

Hence why I wear cheap Chinese mechanical garbage and I don't care what happens to them.

(Keep in mind I am not rich at all and that Omega Seamaster watch my dad got me is worth more than 3-5 months salary of what I earn)

Icywolfe, I heard that the US is bad for healthcare man... I heard the horror stories.. you also privatise prisons over in the US too.... not good in my book.... but as a sporting shooter I LOVE the 2nd amendment :) so I am torn on my view of the USA.

Edited by aussielondon

Baric and mango cheesecake: I love the watch but I don't want to get drunk and damage it or get mugged etc, as not only is it expensive but it's special as my dad gave it to me.

Hence why I wear cheap Chinese mechanical garbage and I don't care what happens to them.

(Keep in mind I am not rich at all and that Omega Seamaster watch my dad got me is worth more than 3-5 months salary of what I earn)

Icywolfe, I heard that the US is bad for healthcare man... I heard the horror stories.. you also privatise prisons over in the US too.... not good in my book.... but as a sporting shooter I LOVE the 2nd amendment :) so I am torn on my view of the USA.

Come to this side of the pond.

But remember Watches and FPs are non disposable items. You are supposed to build memories with it.

#Nope

Come to this side of the pond.

But remember Watches and FPs are non disposable items. You are supposed to build memories with it.

Hmmm, well yes, but I think that for me it's more homage to tradition than anything.

I love fishing, but is fishing necessary anymore? NO, but then I love the act of putting a fishing line in the sea, no matter how cheap it is.

I think for alot of people it's purely the value of the product, but for me it's the mechanism or method.

Yes I may like the cheaper mechanical watches to wear (so they don't get stolen when I am out and about) or cheap fountain pens, but they are still mechanical watches and fountain pens nonetheless though, and both the mechanical watch crowd and fountain pen crowd and also people who like firearms are all groups that are from a time long past and we are now on the fringes (you don't have to be part of all 3 groups as I am but even if you only belong to one of those groups it's still not the "norm" of society is the point I am making here).

If I get into money I want a Ro-lex Submarminer, but then as I said to Icywolfe, I would hardly wear it.

(I live in a bad part of town in London and I could get stopped on the street and get robbed at night)

(I can't write the full name of RO-LEX as the system stops me for some reason so I hyphened it so the post will go through)

Edited by aussielondon

I've worn a G-Shock since I was seven, so no. My G-Shock syncs with the local atomic clock signal every morning, which always makes me smile to see the watch on my wrist tick in perfect sync with the clock at the train station. My fathers Omega needs a £400 service every 5 years and loses two seconds a day... Just no.

Hmmm, well yes, but I think that for me it's more homage to tradition than anything.

I love fishing, but is fishing necessary anymore? NO, but then I love the act of putting a fishing line in the sea, no matter how cheap it is.

I think for alot of people it's purely the value of the product, but for me it's the mechanism or method.

Yes I may like the cheaper mechanical watches to wear (so they don't get stolen when I am out and about) or cheap fountain pens, but they are still mechanical watches and fountain pens nonetheless though, and both the mechanical watch crows and fountain pen crowd and also people who like firearms are all groups that are from a time long past and we are now on the fringes (you don't have to be part of all 3 groups as I am but even if you only belong to one of those groups it's still not the "norm" of society is the point I am making here).

If I get into money I want a Ro-lex Submarminer, but then as I said to Icywolfe, I would hardly wear it.

(I live in a bad part of town in London and I could get stopped on the street and get robbed at night)

(I can't write the full name of RO-LEX as the system stops me for some reason so I hyphened it so the post will go through)

Wild animals are much more healthier to eat than store bought ones.

For me watches works better than a phone. So I'm a utilities type of guy.

Wear the watch on the inner wrist that is why I do when I walk at night through shady parts. I have the damn MS13 to worry about.

Lol the censor filter with a mind of it's own. Also the place you gamble is filtered too.

#Nope

I've worn a G-Shock since I was seven, so no. My G-Shock syncs with the local atomic clock signal every morning, which always makes me smile to see the watch on my wrist tick in perfect sync with the clock at the train station. My fathers Omega needs a £400 service every 5 years and loses two seconds a day... Just no.

It's imperfection that brings charm in life in every aspect though man

Wild animals are much more healthier to eat than store bought ones.

For me watches works better than a phone. So I'm a utilities type of guy.

Wear the watch on the inner wrist that is why I do when I walk at night through shady parts. I have the damn MS13 to worry about.

Lol the censor filter with a mind of it's own. Also the place you gamble is filtered too.

Place I gamble?

In the UK we can gamble online with bookmakers for any sporting event, we have the weakest gambling regs in the world and the USA has the harshest pretty much (hard to imagine we share the same language lol) ... Australia my homeland falls somewhere in the middle for gambling regs, but there we can place bets on sport in the actual bar while we drink as most bars or pubs have the TAB sports betting terminals inside them!! Only place in the world you can do that!

Anyway I digress....

If I lived in a free country (like the USA) then I would wear the watch as I would be concealed carrying my S&W 9mm semi-auto... so if anyone tried to rob me of my watch i'd make sure i'd be repossessing it from their dead corpses.

But as I don't live in a free country I have to act all weak and hide my watch away then.

Place I gamble?

In the UK we can gamble online with bookmakers for any sporting event, we have the weakest gambling regs in the world and the USA has the harshest pretty much (hard to imagine we share the same language lol) ... Australia my homeland falls somewhere in the middle for gambling regs, but there we can place bets on sport in the actual bar while we drink as most bars or pubs have the TAB sports betting terminals inside them!! Only place in the world you can do that!

Anyway I digress....

If I lived in a free country (like the USA) then I would wear the watch as I would be concealed carrying my S&W 9mm semi-auto... so if anyone tried to rob me of my watch i'd make sure i'd be repossessing it from their dead corpses.

But as I don't live in a free country I have to act all weak and hide my watch away then.

Cas_ _ o guess the word.

You might be free to do that in the country, but you got bigger things to worry about than muggers. Bears!

But do try to avoid politics here.

#Nope

Sorry, I won't get into politics, as I knows it's hot topic, but I mean if someone tries to rob you using weapons, then I am sure most people agree that once a person robs someone they give up all human rights (that's my view anyway) as it's simple, don't rob people!!!

But ok, maybe I do belong in Texas, but anyway.... I respect people who disagree with me, as I am not here to cause any trouble.

I worked in a Cas-ino for 4 years, they are ok to work in but i'd never gamble in one, only fools think they can beat the house... only chance you got is Po-ker or sport betting (if you are good at it) thats it... and blackjack (if you can count cards)

Also I can't live in the USA as i'd need to marry an American for that, haha

Edited by aussielondon

Yes, my love for watches is older than that for fountain pens...

But they are so expensive :unsure: so I was pretty happy to get an Akribos skeleton watch (a chinese brand) for small money (I think 80-90 euros or so?). And guess what? It actually works pretty well! It loses a minute every 4-6 days and when not wearing it, it goes on for about 24-30 hours. Quite good for such a cheap mechanical watch.

What a strange world we live in, where people communicate by text more than ever before, yet the art of proper handwriting is seen as a thing from the past.

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

Sorry, I won't get into politics, as I knows it's hot topic, but I mean if someone tries to rob you using weapons, then I am sure most people agree that once a person robs someone they give up all human rights (that's my view anyway) as it's simple, don't rob people!!!

But ok, maybe I do belong in Texas, but anyway.... I respect people who disagree with me, as I am not here to cause any trouble.

I worked in a Cas-ino for 4 years, they are ok to work in but i'd never gamble in one, only fools think they can beat the house... only chance you got is Po-ker or sport betting (if you are good at it) thats it... and blackjack (if you can count cards)

Also I can't live in the USA as i'd need to marry an American for that, haha

I you belong in Wyoming. It's like your home county.

If somebody would've teach me to gamble I would try one.

Nah apply for a student learning visa.

#Nope

I like mechanical watches, though I am not a collector. I just have my watch, and a spare. I have never owned a quartz watch. One of my biggest fears is that my watch breaks. I would be unable to afford to replace it with a decent mechanical watch and would have to go quartz.

There are cheap mechanical watches available, but so many are of poor quality and most of them are disgustingly "bling". It seems that people making a mechanical watch for the lower price range (and often the expensive too) seem to have lost any idea of taste and have no concept of discretion in the design of watches.

"if they want a mechanical watch, it must be so they can show them off. Lets make the watch as flash and gaudy as possible" seems to be the thinking behind it.

I want it to be as plain as subtle as possible.

This watch review is often viewed as the worst review on earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUom0B6I8kQ

It's funny. It's more funny if you know that watch brand and their practices. They do this: A 10 dollar worth item will have the MSRP of 100 dollars, but wait there is 90% off sale. (Inflated MSRP prices often it's more than 100 nearing 1000 or more.)

#Nope

I like mechanical watches and fountain pens. Both are beautiful anachronisms.

I currently have one mechanical watch (a 1940s Omega Seamaster) and a bunch of quartz watches, mainly because they do sometimes look good and they're inexpensive. I am tempted to get a Seiko 5 just to scratch the mechanical watch itch without spending a fortune. But if Apple announces a decent smart watch tomorrow, all bets are off.

One day I will get myself a really nice watch, but it'll be a while before I can afford it — especially if I keep impulse buying pens like the Sailor 1911 I ordered yesterday…

Ok well I am aware some Chinese watches look horrible but my point is that for the price can you really argue?

I saw alot and chose this... and it was cheap and when it costs as much as 2 meals as McDonalds how can I really complain?

It's always a conversation starter and I always admit it's a cheap chinese watch when asked and give advice how to get one if they like it, (as pretending it's not a cheap watch when asked is a sure way to look stupid).

post-116192-0-82427800-1410167646_thumb.jpg

Edited by aussielondon

I like mechanical watches, though I am not a collector. I just have my watch, and a spare. I have never owned a quartz watch. One of my biggest fears is that my watch breaks. I would be unable to afford to replace it with a decent mechanical watch and would have to go quartz.

There are cheap mechanical watches available, but so many are of poor quality and most of them are disgustingly "bling". It seems that people making a mechanical watch for the lower price range (and often the expensive too) seem to have lost any idea of taste and have no concept of discretion in the design of watches.

"if they want a mechanical watch, it must be so they can show them off. Lets make the watch as flash and gaudy as possible" seems to be the thinking behind it.

I want it to be as plain as subtle as possible.

But I like the design of the watch I got, as I love the skeleton look showing the mechanics (alot of popular brands make skeleton watches also... skeleton meaning to show the inner workings of the watch rather than having an opaque face)

But I am also into car engines and guns and I had a gameboy and chose the clear version as a kid as I liked to see inside it.

I have love seeing mechanical or inner workings of machines of all sorts, so maybe I am different to the norm.

To me a mechanical watch movement (or even a clock) is one of the most amazing feats of engineering that we have ever seen and is a glory to see in motion as the cogs turn.... Quartz on the other hand, doesn't need a clear transparent face to see it's inner workings as they are quite unspectacular.

Edited by aussielondon

It's imperfection that brings charm in life in every aspect though man

Yeah, that's exactly how I was feeling when I was sat by the highway in torrential rain when my car broke down. Perfectly charmed.

I'm not a fan of skeletonized watches, at least on the viewing dial. The hands get lost in all the background clutter and the time is hard to read at a glance. Not for me.

...it's now a piece of jewelry to wear any watch basically as it's not a necessity anymore.

Not for everyone. Some of us spend much time in facilities in the U.S. and elsewhere where phones or electronics are forbidden.

Probably some folks camped in wilderness beyond the reach of cell towers and battery chargers might appreciate a watch, too.

Of course, that does not justify getting an Omega when a Timex will do the job ;-)