Is There A Link With People That Like Fountain Pens And Mechanical Watches?

aussielondon

Filling out a page on carbon paper makes the pain worse.

Yes. In the boring doctor waiting rooms I just stare at the second hand.

You counting the dollars per tick for the amount the doctors visit costs you for healthcare in the US? :P

(sorry that was a low blow, but the NHS here in England is amazing :) )

I love the sweeping hand though, I don't like the ticking of Quartz, it always made me feel uneasy.

And I love the "tick tick tick tick tick" noise of the mechanical watch :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussielondon

• Icywolfe

• Baric

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have three or four mechanical watches, of which a Seiko 5 is probably the most practical. It tells time as well as I really need, not needing to be reset very often. Still, my most commonly worn watch is a Casio model, solar recharging, WWVB synchronization, and extra functions which come in handy regularly. For what I want in a watch, it's a better intstrument.

On the other hand, I usually write with fountain pens because I prefer the way they write. For writing under most conditions, they are the superior tool for what I want.

Esthetics and a die-hard attachment to older technology also enter into the equation, but function is the main thing.

I guess this shows how fountain pen users can be different, as I mostly use it for the unique feel and also I love old things, I like to do things the old way (I don't even use microwave ovens and I am 30 years old).

To me it's the older things that have more charm, and if I am going to do something I may as well enjoy the process of doing it with the tools that make it feel special.

Watches? Yes. I collect pocket watches, especially railroad grade Hamiltons, Elgins, Illinois, Waltham, etc from the first half of the 20th century. Each of them is an exquisite work of art, made entirely by hand most are accurate to within a few seconds per day. I also collect vintage wrist watches including Omega, Gruen, Longines, etc.

There are some parallels between pen and watch collecting. Condition is key in both. Rarity has a major effect on value and the US dominated production of both pens and watch production in the first half of the 20th century.

It is true that collecting watches is more expensive than collecting pens on an overall basis. But, watches and pens seem to hold or even increase their value over the years.

As background, a typical RR grade pocket watch such as a Hamilton from the early 1900s in good running condition costs between $250 and $400.

I have limited experience but it seems that repair of most fountain pens is relatively inexpensive while repair of vintage watches can be very expensive; often $100 or more.

j1020

Good topic!

I am not sure if this is in the right forum, and if I am wrong to post it then a mod can delete it or move it by all means, but I was thinking after PM'ing another member on here and the topic came to watches.

Do you have an interest in watches, and if so is it mechanical or quartz?

I am curious if people that are into fountain pens also have an interest in wrist watches.

Personally I am into mechanical watches as well as liking fountain pens.

I was wondering the same thing too!

I've always been interested in and curious about fountain pens. However, I was introduced to the world of mechanical watches by a former colleague. I like good quality mechanical watches. I love the science and artistry of mechanical watches. I find in-house movements more attractive and appealing.

Yes, mechanical watches are not bought for accuracy but good ones can be quite accurate.

When I first bought my mechanical watch about three years ago, it would gain about 5 minutes every month or two months. I had to get it repaired and now it loses about 5 minutes every month or two months. I'd much rather it gain time than lose time. :unsure:

Good fountain pens are more affordable than good mechanical watches. :D

I guess this shows how fountain pen users can be different, as I mostly use it for the unique feel and also I love old things, I like to do things the old way (I don't even use microwave ovens and I am 30 years old).

To me it's the older things that have more charm, and if I am going to do something I may as well enjoy the process of doing it with the tools that make it feel special.

Perhaps like you, I find "older things" more charming and bring more joy.

As to Chinese watches; not all Chinese watches are made the same. I have some watches using a Seagull movement that are every bit as accurate as my Swiss Made ETA, Sellita, Ronda or Valjoux movement watches.

My Website

I am not gonna quote anyone here but I have read everything you all are writing.

I think that for me gaining or losing a couple mins a month is not much.

I love to see the mechanics of the watch, something of how a old clock moves make me appreciate how mankind can be so complex an create such amazing machines.

Quartz to me is always going to be boring as it's just a crystal.

I love cogs.

Oh if anyones got the cash laying about here's nice watch from Harrods, London that i've never heard of haha

http://www.harrods.com/product/twenty-8-eight-skeleton-tourbillon-008-watch/dewitt/000000000003800430?cat1=new-accessories&cat2=new-accessories-men-fine-watches&cid=GoogS_UK_G_DeWitt_3800430&gclid=CMaX2ofXzsACFfMZtAodVlkAew

Yep, I'm another watch lover, but strictly mechanicals I actually wear. To me a watch is a functional tool I use constantly everyday. I'd love to get a vintage Omega Constellation, but there are so many fakes and frankenwatches out there, so I've stuck to new watches so far. Plus, budget-wise, I can't really stretch past the new Omega or JLC I've been lusting after. I need to win the lottery or something.

I can't see my little collection getting past 5 or 6 for various uses and some variety. But I do love to read the various "what are you wearing today?" threads over on watchuseek. Nice eye candy.

I have about 25 watches both mechanical (mostly automatics) and quartz, I also have about 15 fountain pens.

My oldest watch is a circa 1908 Waltham Model 1894 pocket watch that belonged to my maternal grandfather. Yes it runs, no it is not accurate. . I have a Hamilton Thin -o Matic that belonged to my paternal grandfather. In addition to those, I have watches from Invicta, Rotary, Stuhrling Original, Timex, and others. (10 automatics, 3 straight mechanical (pocket watches) and the remainder are quartz) The two Stuhrling's have Chinese movements and seem to be pretty accurate. Both are skeleton watches as is the Rotary. The Rotary is a Miyota. Most of my mechanical watches are either Miyota or Seiko movements.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

*looks at the watch he his wearing*

*looks at the fountain pen in his pocket*

Nope, nope, nothing to see here...

I admit, I've stayed away from watches. They're a giant pit of shiny I could easily sink into for ever.

I have a cheap mechanical watch - an Invictus from a fire sale on Woot! - that I wear every day. If it gets beat up, broken, or lost, no big deal. I also have a railroad certified Accutron tuning fork watch, which I wear on special occasions. The Accutron older than I am and I'm careful with it. It is, sadly, not running right now, but I think all it needs is a new battery. I had it professionally restored.

Very shiny.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

I have some nice old mechanical watches that were given (or left) to me by my father and grandfather. While they have sentimental value, I just couldn't justify spending $350 to have the old chronograph serviced...Instead I spent the money on a new Citizen Eco-Drive: solar powered, atomic clock sync, perpetual calendar, automatic adjustments for daylight saving time, 200m water resistance, sapphire crystal, etc. Absolutely phenomenal piece of tech, truly a "set it and forget it" instrument. And it looks great, too.

I just realised that as men we are limited in what adornments we can wear, as women can wear bracelets, necklaces, earrings etc etc etc, but as men we have just the watch (and also the wedding ring), and that's it!

Now even if some may not admit it (I am a traditional Australian bloke myself) but I can see how the watch is our "jewelry", and it's the only thing us men have to wear as such (mostly as a mechanical watch is a engineering masterpiece thus it's not purely for show and thus can be considered acceptable for masculinity).

That's my thought's I just had on it anyway, but feel free to disagree or argue that, as I am just typing the thoughts that come into my mind.

I personally love skeleton watches as I love seeing how it moves, as machines and anything with screws or bolts or nuts etc has always intrigued me, and I am sure many men are the same (I hope I am not being sexist by my comments, as if I am I am sorry as I am not sexist, I am just aware that men and women are not better than one another but rather we are just different in many ways).

Edited by aussielondon

yes, there is a connection. I have about 15 mechanical watches at the moment. Pens are certainly a cheaper hobby.

*looks at the watch he his wearing*

*looks at the fountain pen in his pocket*

Nope, nope, nothing to see here...

I admit, I've stayed away from watches. They're a giant pit of shiny I could easily sink into for ever.

I have a cheap mechanical watch - an Invictus from a fire sale on Woot! - that I wear every day. If it gets beat up, broken, or lost, no big deal. I also have a railroad certified Accutron tuning fork watch, which I wear on special occasions. The Accutron older than I am and I'm careful with it. It is, sadly, not running right now, but I think all it needs is a new battery. I had it professionally restored.

Very shiny.

I have to mention here that I like mechanical watches for the looks and the fact they are mechanical, and NOT the brand, so I don't give a hoot about if someone says it's only a chinese cheap watch as to be honest I tell my friends when they ask what it is, I tell them it's just a cheap Chinese clone of a Breitling and they all say it looks cool (I never pretend it's the real deal when asked).

Also I never wear my Omega Seamaster 2531.80.00 chronometer, as I do not want to have any harm come to it as it was a gift from my dad.

But I love that watch.

Also I never wear my Omega Seamaster 2531.80.00 chronometer, as I do not want to have any harm come to it as it was a gift from my dad.

But I love that watch.

you should wear it. I have the Seamaster Planet Ocean and I wear that on a regular basis.

Hmmm, well lets say they are not accurate, but well being late isn't good.... however with a skeleton watch the main part of it is (let's be honest here) is the cool factor and the conversation topic is produces, also the appreciation of mechanical movement.

I have my grandfathers pocket watch and that was also not too accurate, but it's more art than anything else.

In todays world we check computers and mobile phones so much that we can correct the watch or learn it's traits quickly.

I will admit it's now a piece of jewelry to wear any watch basically as it's not a necessity anymore.

My watch wasn't remotely correct it will either land itself in my closet or in a dumpster. My FPs my Watches and anything else that is classic I have is used. My Watches I use to glace the time quickly it takes more time for me to pull my phone out of my pocket. Also when your professor said "off" it means "off" or you are booted from the class. My watch doesn't ring. My FPs is not jewelry I use it that is why I bought higher end pens to use it. My bow, an ancient fighting tool, is not hanging on the wall it's being used. Shooting at a paper target.

You counting the dollars per tick for the amount the doctors visit costs you for healthcare in the US? :P

(sorry that was a low blow, but the NHS here in England is amazing :) )

I love the sweeping hand though, I don't like the ticking of Quartz, it always made me feel uneasy.

And I love the "tick tick tick tick tick" noise of the mechanical watch :)

I pay only 5 USD per visit. Family healthcare plan.

I like sleeping with my watch, it makes me go to sleep.

#Nope

But I love that watch.

That seems wrong to me. A watch like that is meant to be worn and used. Somehow I doubt your father bought the watch thinking "I hope my son sticks this in a drawer and never uses it." Your watch has never had a chance to fulfill its destiny :(, let it live and see the world!

I have the same watch (well, the Chronograph version 2599.80). It's seen almost daily wear for more than 10 years. Nowadays, it sees less wrist time as it shares with newer acquistions.

That seems wrong to me. A watch like that is meant to be worn and used. Somehow I doubt your father bought the watch thinking "I hope my son sticks this in a drawer and never uses it." Your watch has never had a chance to fulfill its destiny :(, let it live and see the world!

I have the same watch (well, the Chronograph version 2599.80). It's seen almost daily wear for more than 10 years. Nowadays, it sees less wrist time as it shares with newer acquistions.

Same a watch is meant to build memories with you.

#Nope