Is There A Link With People That Like Fountain Pens And Mechanical Watches?

aussielondon

I am not sure if this is in the right forum, and if I am wrong to post it then a mod can delete it or move it by all means, but I was thinking after PM'ing another member on here and the topic came to watches.

Do you have an interest in watches, and if so is it mechanical or quartz?

I am curious if people that are into fountain pens also have an interest in wrist watches.

Personally I am into mechanical watches as well as liking fountain pens.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussielondon

• Icywolfe

• Baric

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like watches as well as fountain pens but I like both mechanical and quartz watches; even tuning fork watches.

There definitely is. I asked basically the same question some time ago in a post here and ended with about four pages of positives as I recall. I collect fountain pens and my son collects mechanical watches....hmmmmm.

Watchuseek.com might be your website. Though most there have Montblancs.

I've made peace with the Montblanc now, myself and Montblanc have agreed to an armistice :D

Yes, watches, absolutely... mechanical always! But taste can differ. Me understand! Bank account does not! :lol:

Haha, well my Omega Seamaster (Automatic mechanical) was a gift from dad and I am very careful with it. But I am finding some cheap chinese stuff on ebay lately which i've been ordering, so if i get drunk on a night out I don't care if something happens to it lol

The watch hobby is very expensive more than FPs.

Not with chinese movement watches :D I love the chinese so much! Epic food also!

I like watches as well as fountain pens but I like both mechanical and quartz watches; even tuning fork watches.

I never heard of a turning fork watch before, I had to google it!

There definitely is. I asked basically the same question some time ago in a post here and ended with about four pages of positives as I recall. I collect fountain pens and my son collects mechanical watches....hmmmmm.

Well, I mean, I know it sounds like I am advertising for the chinese, but there are people on youtube that post videos on this stuff, with the Chinese movement mechanical watches, they cost about $15 something including postage on ebay or such sites and there are many merchants that sell them on there, and from all the reviews I read they are good, but they are not the same precision as Swiss obviously, however a nice skeleton watch is really nice, and for the price you can pull it apart and try servicing it yourself if you want. Just an idea if anyone wants to dabble in them, just do a quick search on ebay for them.

I've made peace with the Montblanc now, myself and Montblanc have agreed to an armistice :D

Haha, well my Omega Seamaster (Automatic mechanical) was a gift from dad and I am very careful with it. But I am finding some cheap chinese stuff on ebay lately which i've been ordering, so if i get drunk on a night out I don't care if something happens to it lol

Not with chinese movement watches :D I love the chinese so much! Epic food also!

I do believe you started the war though. I wonder who will end it.

Drink non-alcoholic drinks. =] That will solve the problem.

But Chinese movements never keep correct time. And they lose power very quickly. My ETA2824-2 can hold power for 24-36 hours while my chinese movement holds only about 8-12 hours.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

No link for me. I have one watch; an old Citizen Eco-drive. I appreciate the beauty of a fine watch but I haven't felt the urge to upgrade.

I do believe you started the war though. I wonder who will end it.

Drink non-alcoholic drinks. =] That will solve the problem.

But Chinese movements never keep correct time. And they lose power very quickly. My ETA2824-2 can hold power for 24-36 hours while my chinese movement holds only about 8-12 hours.

Haha, what war?

But I agree, chinese mechanical watches aint the best, as I read they gain 1 minute every 4 days, but then the idea of getting such a watch is not to be accurate (you can just adjust the time manually by checking with your computer or phone) and if you need accuracy a mechanical watch isn't your best bet anyway, you need quartz if you are going to be hiking the amazon and need to know the exact time.

The point is that they are a cheap entry into the world of mechanical watches, and yes they are clones of popular watches and look nice, and yes they only are water resistant etc, but for a watch that costs $15 what do you expect?

It's a mechanical watch, and thats the charm that beats any quartz watch for me, as in todays world we technically dont even need watches with all the smartphones and stuff that we have that have the time on them.

It's just the charm of the mechanical watch and to see it move as i look at my wrist that is amazing.

Also, it's similar with fountain pens, as we technically can just all use ballpoints yes? But why do we use fountain pens?... Exactly :)

Edited by aussielondon

I love automatic watches, unfortunately my budget is quite limited which leaves me with watches under 500.00. I would love a Tag 1887 chrono as I prefer watches around 43mm.

WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.

Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

BPs actually gives me hand pains so a I can't use them much. They are not colorful.

Auto watches' second hand rotates without stopping. It gives me a false sense of time going faster. Even though I carry a cell phone I check my watch for the time. My cell phone is large and bulky Note2. It's very hard to get it out of my pocket.

My FPs and my watches are not jewelry. They are my tools.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

Happy to see I am not the only one suffering from a FPs and watches collecting disease!

Watchuseek, as mentioned earlier, is the only forum I know that covers my two passions. The FPs forum on Watchuseek is weak compared to FPN

Cheers,

Pierre

But I mean, if the watch only gains 1min every 4 days then you only need to really check the time against your phone every week or so to slightly correct it's cheap Chinese mechanical movement.

The worst that can happen is you are early for meetings :P

My Chinese skeleton watch loses a min per 12 hours. And it stores power for only about 12 hours. I was late to class once.

#Nope

BPs actually gives me hand pains so a I can't use them much. They are not colorful.

Auto watches' second hand rotates without stopping. It gives me a false sense of time going faster. Even though I carry a cell phone I check my watch for the time. My cell phone is large and bulky Note2. It's very hard to get it out of my pocket.

My FPs and my watches are not jewelry. They are my tools.

HAHAHA, well I get the same with the hand pains, but a false sense of time going faster? :D Oh dear....

Filling out a page on carbon paper makes the pain worse.

Yes. In the boring doctor waiting rooms I just stare at the second hand.

#Nope

My Chinese skeleton watch loses a min per 12 hours. And it stores power for only about 12 hours. I was late to class once.

Hmmm, well lets say they are not accurate, but well being late isn't good.... however with a skeleton watch the main part of it is (let's be honest here) is the cool factor and the conversation topic is produces, also the appreciation of mechanical movement.

I have my grandfathers pocket watch and that was also not too accurate, but it's more art than anything else.

In todays world we check computers and mobile phones so much that we can correct the watch or learn it's traits quickly.

I will admit it's now a piece of jewelry to wear any watch basically as it's not a necessity anymore.

I have three or four mechanical watches, of which a Seiko 5 is probably the most practical. It tells time as well as I really need, not needing to be reset very often. Still, my most commonly worn watch is a Casio model, solar recharging, WWVB synchronization, and extra functions which come in handy regularly. For what I want in a watch, it's a better intstrument.

On the other hand, I usually write with fountain pens because I prefer the way they write. For writing under most conditions, they are the superior tool for what I want.

Esthetics and a die-hard attachment to older technology also enter into the equation, but function is the main thing.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin