What Pen Has The Best Stub Nib You've Ever Used?

SomethingWicked

The best is a BB nib on a MB 144/5/classique. However Esterbrooks, safari 1.1 and pilot 78g BB are all good value for money line variation nibs.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SomethingWicked

• Bo Bo Olson

• de_pen_dent

• benincanada

His Nib Noise newsletter.

"As we approach our seventies, we're changing our direction, and this means

that we will be gradually discontinuing retail sales."

He is going to keep going to shows and the monthly pen tray are to remain as I understand.

Sad news! Looks like the clock is now ticking on that Nakaya I've been eyeing... time to get serious about scraping together the funds.

I have Lamys, TWSBIs, and four Italix stubs/Italics and the Italix in my experience are the smoothest of all. They are, in fact, some of the smoothest stubs that I possess.

The one I have is very smooth, I have no complaints there, but the nib feels sort of fat so that line variation isn't quite what it should be. It's still a nice pen though.

For those folks who have Pendelton Brown Butter stub nibs on TWSBI pens, which width do you prefer, or get the best writing experience; F, M, B?

I don't have many stubs, but the 'best' out of 4 so far has been my Goulet 1.5 Stub currently installed in a Nemosine Singularity. (The other three being a Lamy 1.9, Pilot B on a 78G ~0.7-8, and a nemosine 0.8 which was the worst).

Tight decision between the TWSBI 1.1 and the Italix medium stub, both very smooth writers. For the line variation without 'pushing' it, I would say the TWSBI is maybe a bit stronger. I also have Lamy's 1.1, 1.5 & 1.9, they can't come close. Next stop for me would be an Edison Beaumont 1.1 but that has to wait for better cash-flow, maybe end of the year.

Please don't think I'm being facetious but I have a Pilot 78G <B> nib and a Pilot Pluminix.

I'd call them stubs and also stunning.

Both are unbelievable smooth expressive writers and first time starters no matter how long I forget about the fellas.

Oh goodness, so much depends on the writer and the pen. A pen that is fabulous to me is detested by my husband.

My best vintage stub is on a CS206, closely followed by a CS27. I also like P75 with a broad stub.

Modern - don't think that much of my Waterman Carene, but it's smooth and OK.

My modern pens tend to have custom ground italic nibs, and of course they suit me - that's how they were set up.

My Pendleton Brown Micarta has a F nib ground from EF. It's perfect for me, it writes fine but you get line variation as well. I would also recommend the Pilot 78G Bold, the nib is really nice. I've also seen BB's on ebay.

Caretaker for a bevy of Swans.

A Visconti Opera Crystal, stubbed by John Soworka. All kinds of awesomeness.

Also a Gates City New Dunn with a Binder stub which is a bit narrower - but probably a bit more practical for day to day use (the Crystal lays down a river of ink).

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

I got my PB stub made from M, i guess. In the end i just asked for a specific width in tenths of millimeters.

Non notisi signi.

As much as I hate to say this, the Delta Fusion stub on my Fusion 82 is just so pleasent to use, it's the best stub I own. I'm not buying the marketing drek coming out of Delta, but the reality is that stub is wonderful to use.

A close runner up is the factory IB nib on my Conway Stewart Belliver. It's slighty less forgiving, mostly as it's more cursive italic than stub. I expect practice might make this a serious contender for one of my favorite pens.

I've never had a custom ground stub, but I do have one on order with my Pelikan M600 Vibrant Green. I hope it compares favorably with my Delta.

Sheaffer Ft. Madison stub nibs by far.

+1 - the factory stub nibs on the sheaffer legacies are outstanding The other factory stub I am really impressed with is the Parker oblique italic.

As far as custom modified stubs, Pendleton Brown has produced some amazing ones for me, he is quite amazing.

But my favorite stub of all time has to be the crisp cursive italic made from a broad english parker 51 nib by John Mottishaw at the recent SF pen show recently. Its quite amazing.

Edited by cellmatrix

Tight decision between the TWSBI 1.1 and the Italix medium stub, both very smooth writers. For the line variation without 'pushing' it, I would say the TWSBI is maybe a bit stronger. I also have Lamy's 1.1, 1.5 & 1.9, they can't come close. Next stop for me would be an Edison Beaumont 1.1 but that has to wait for better cash-flow, maybe end of the year.

Erpe,

Why would you pickup a Edison Beaumont if you already have some good stub pens? Is the Edison a better writer?

Please don't think I'm being facetious but I have a Pilot 78G <B> nib and a Pilot Pluminix.

I'd call them stubs and also stunning.

Both are unbelievable smooth expressive writers and first time starters no matter how long I forget about the fellas.

Tas, I've actually purchased both the "B" and the "BB" versions of the 78G. I was hoping to buy something that writes that good but doesn't look as cheap.

Oh goodness, so much depends on the writer and the pen. A pen that is fabulous to me is detested by my husband.

My best vintage stub is on a CS206, closely followed by a CS27. I also like P75 with a broad stub.

Modern - don't think that much of my Waterman Carene, but it's smooth and OK.

My modern pens tend to have custom ground italic nibs, and of course they suit me - that's how they were set up.

LOL! Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm a newbie, so I have no idea what "CS206", "CS27" or possibly a "P75" is. I will guess that the P75 is for Parker 75, but I didn't know that they were offered in a stub nib.

My favorites are vintage stubs, they can be elusive in the wild and demand a pretty penny.

To get your feet wet, why not try a Nemosine Singularity with a 0.6 stub? xfountainpens.com sells them for under $20. They also have Diamine-made ink sold under the Chesterfield name, very reaonably priced. I've ordered from them and they are excellent.

lahlahlaw, I'm going to take your advice and purchase a Nemosine Singularity with the .6 stub so I can "get my feet wet". Then I will probably take Kbeezie's suggestion and pickup that Goulet 1.5 mm also.

The advice on this thread is brilliant, so I will looking up each and every pen suggested to determine the most affordable and fun stub pen with which to write.

My favorite is a Medium Cursive Italic custom ground by Pendemonium on a M200. Second favorite is the Jowo 1.1mm stub, mine is the Goulet version but I imagine all the Jowo nibs are similar. I will be buying a Binder stub/CI sometime this month, likely a .6mm or .7mm

imho parker makes the best stubs. my favorite by far is the one pictured on the left. its on a discolored old silver pearl jr vac. the nib is double sided so it can write with a fine line upside down and the nib is flexible.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6-7HieHm58c/Us0BGHQMzRI/AAAAAAAABAE/etitgBVBVxE/s1600/parkerstubs.jpg

if you are looking to get a nice stub at a good price check out the parker uk duofolds and victories. bold and stub nibs seem to be much more common on the uk parkers and from what i have seen they made semi flex nibs into the 50's. also look at how much tipping is on the nib on the right.