What To Do? Next 149 Decisions...

Mister Mont Blanc

Hello everybody! I just wanted to get some experienced input (again) before getting my second 149. Thank you to everybody who had helped me in the past with my indecisive ways! I have an EF 149 but have recently purchased TWSBI pens with 1.1mm & 1.5mm stub nibs and I love them!! I'd really love to have a Montblanc that could do something like this :) So I recently saw a 1980's 149 with a possibly flexible OBB nib and thought about going all in and hoping for the best. However, my long-desired 90th 149 is now available online too... But only up to a broad nib.

So, for the sake of wanting noticeable line variation in a usable-size nib (not being used for billboard font), is there that big of a difference between B and OBB/BB? Does a modern broad nib have enough variation and I could send it in for a BB/OBB if it isn't enough? Or am I sure to get better stub qualities from an older 1980 with an OBB nib?

I'm really hoping to buy tomorrow or Friday if I can decide! Thank you very much :D

Edited by Mister Mont Blanc

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mister Mont Blanc

• Tombstone

• zaddick

• Bronze

I'd get the 90th, send it in for the free nib exchange to the widest possible (can't recall if that is BB or BBB), and then have it ground down to your preferred characteristics by a nibmeister. That way you get exactly what you want (though no flex) and a warranty.

I did not find enough variation between OBB and BB on the modern nibs to make the OBB my preference.

I am not sure when they switched, but at some point the 149 switched to plastic piston threads for a while. I prefer the newer pens over those myself.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

So, for the sake of wanting noticeable line variation in a usable-size nib (not being used for billboard font), is there that big of a difference between B and OBB/BB? Does a modern broad nib have enough variation and I could send it in for a BB/OBB if it isn't enough? Or am I sure to get better stub qualities from an older 1980 with an OBB nib?

BB offers more line variation than B. But it's also noticeably fatter overall, so whether it's practical for day-to-day writing or not, that's a matter of personal preference and handwriting style.

The oblique versions offer, technically speaking, exactly the same amount of line variation as their straight counterparts. That is, the difference betweeen the broadest line and the narrowest line is the same with an OB as with a B, and this also applies to OBB versus BB. However, in practice one of them can give you more line variation than the other, depending on your own handwriting, because the orientation of the nib in respect to the writing direction is different. So it's all up to you. I would go to a boutique and test them all.

Without trying it's hard to judge... so I can only state what I have experienced myself:

- actual three-tone-18-k-nibs are rigid and show nearly no line variation at all - based on two models from the 00's I have actually hier on my table (M & B)

- older two-tone-14-k-nibs show nice line variation and even some small flex - based on two models from the 80's (one split feed) here on my table (F & OB)

So my decision would be clear.

@ zaddick: how do you get a free nib exchange for a 149 of the 90's?

There are no facts, there is no truth - just a data to be manipulated...

Without trying it's hard to judge... so I can only state what I have experienced myself:

- actual three-tone-18-k-nibs are rigid and show nearly no line variation at all - based on two models from the 00's I have actually hier on my table (M & B)

- older two-tone-14-k-nibs show nice line variation and even some small flex - based on two models from the 80's (one split feed) here on my table (F & OB)

I think he was saying to get the new 90th Anniv addition then get a nib exchange if needed which I do like that idea because then I can actually start small and go up. My prob is I cannot try any nibs unless I drive hours and hours to a store. I did notice though that the 80's 149 nib has a nice flat nib while the new ones have a massive ball of tipping material. So it seems like regardless of the size, the newer nibs are going to be more uniform...? I guess if I buy the 80's and don't like it, someone here may want to buy it! Plus it's less expensive than the new 90th anniv one.

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

BB offers more line variation than B. But it's also noticeably fatter overall, so whether it's practical for day-to-day writing or not, that's a matter of personal preference and handwriting style.

The oblique versions offer, technically speaking, exactly the same amount of line variation as their straight counterparts. That is, the difference betweeen the broadest line and the narrowest line is the same with an OB as with a B, and this also applies to OBB versus BB. However, in practice one of them can give you more line variation than the other, depending on your own handwriting, because the orientation of the nib in respect to the writing direction is different. So it's all up to you. I would go to a boutique and test them all.

Thank you Vlad Soare... There is also now an option to buy a 1970's OB as well haha... there's just every option I could want! I would be at a boutique every day if there were one around me but there isn't anything even in the surrounding states :( With my TWSBI stubs, I actually use the nibs diagonal on the page so that the nib isn't like this --- on the paper, it is more like / because I rotate my hand counterclockwise and I love the line variation this gives! The nib straight on is too think on down strokes but the nib parallel is too thin on down strokes. So I think this is the whole purpose of the oblique nib in that the nib will be aligned with the paper in a way that I currently do with my straight nibs. I noticed the 1980 OBB is the "two-tone" nib while the 1970 OB is the "three-tone" nib. I'm thinking the noted flex would give me the option for thicker lines when needed.

Ah, ok - 90th = Anniversary.

I thought you talk about a 149 from the 80th and from the 90th.

But regarding the impressions of the actual nibs (from the 00's): that fits with the nibs of the 90 Anniv. - hard as steel nails...

Perhaps at the boutique if you are far more charming than I am, it could happen. :)

Perhaps at the boutique if you are far more charming than I am, it could happen. :)

The misunderstanding was already resolved - you speak about a 149 of the 90th Anniversary edition, I spoke about a pen from the 90th, bought between 1990 and 1999...

The misunderstanding was already resolved - you speak about a 149 of the 90th Anniversary edition, I spoke about a pen from the 90th, bought between 1990 and 1999...

Yes, I was just making a joke that if someone was far more charming than me, perhaps the boutique would do a nib exchange on a 20 year old pen.

Just get an M nib and send it to a nibmeister and have them make an oblique EF/F or something. That's what Mike at MikeItWork did for me, essentially, and I LOVE it.

Montblanc Pen PolishFountain Pen Flush

I wanted to ask a question to clarify what you said about the nibs from the 80's. The one OBB I was looking at is this exact nib you describe. However there is also an OB nib that is listed as being from the 70's and has the three-tone nib but it's noted this has flex also. Do you think this 70's nib is any worse than the 80's nib?

I have a 149 with a B nib (modified by Pendleton Brown to a cursive italic/stub) and a 149 with an OBB nib (kept this one unmodified). Not sure of the exact age of the pens, but could very well be from the 80s, both 14k nibs.

Two of my favourite pens. If you would like maybe I could do a couple of writing samples comparing the two for you.

The original B nib had some nice line variation, but a bit less than I wanted. It certainly had more line variation than your typical modern B nib as seen on Pelikans etc, but it was far from an italic nib.

The OBB has a bit more line variation than the B had before being modified, but it's still not an italic nib. I like this one a lot as is, cool how the thicks and thins are rearranged on oblique nibs. It lays down a pretty bold line! I love italic nibs, but kept this one original as I have plenty of italics and it's nice to have something a bit different.

I have a 149 with a B nib (modified by Pendleton Brown to a cursive italic/stub) and a 149 with an OBB nib (kept this one unmodified). Not sure of the exact age of the pens, but could very well be from the 80s, both 14k nibs.

Two of my favourite pens. If you would like maybe I could do a couple of writing samples comparing the two for you.

The original B nib had some nice line variation, but a bit less than I wanted. It certainly had more line variation than your typical modern B nib as seen on Pelikans etc, but it was far from an italic nib.

The OBB has a bit more line variation than the B had before being modified, but it's still not an italic nib. I like this one a lot as is, cool how the thicks and thins are rearranged on oblique nibs. It lays down a pretty bold line! I love italic nibs, but kept this one original as I have plenty of italics and it's nice to have something a bit different.

Thank you for this information! I am quite sure the OBB especially from 1980's will have nice variation, I'm just thinking it may be too think for my desired usage. I want a bolder line for normal writing but some line variation for when I'm bored haha. That's why I'm thinking the flexible OB nib might be best because it won't be too thick but the flex is there waiting for me when I want some thicker lines.

The only reason I would buy the modern 149 90th Anniv. edition is for the rose gold trim and nib design, whereas I want the older pens for their nib characteristics.

Thank you for this information! I am quite sure the OBB especially from 1980's will have nice variation, I'm just thinking it may be too think for my desired usage. I want a bolder line for normal writing but some line variation for when I'm bored haha. That's why I'm thinking the flexible OB nib might be best because it won't be too thick but the flex is there waiting for me when I want some thicker lines.

The only reason I would buy the modern 149 90th Anniv. edition is for the rose gold trim and nib design, whereas I want the older pens for their nib characteristics.

No problem :) Yes, I can imagine that this OBB might not be the most practical daily writer for a lot of people.

• 3 weeks later...

I need some help to chose a new pen.

I like line variations and a flex smooth.

I will buy a montblanc 149 I would like know have a MB like this? 70's or 80's?

The line variation on my "modern" OBB is wonderful.

Thank you for this input! I'm still in a toss up. I thought of trying a 90th 149 B and if it isn't too thick, I would do a nib exchange for an OBB to get the line variation. Otherwise I can still get the 1970's OB or OBB with flex.