Waterman Expert - Not Wet Enough - How To Make It Wetter?

ozo

Hello all,

I have a Waterman Expert. I like it. But it is not wet enough. The silly thing is that, I am using a converter, and when I twist the converter a little, it becomes wet again. After some time I have to twist the converter again.

Is there a way to adjust this?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tryphon

• Left FPN

• ozo

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a new pen and converter.

Either way, wash it out in warm soapy water. Maybe leave it to soak a while. Many have had problems with mould release agents contaminating the parts and no allowing the ink to seep.

How does preform with a cartridge.

Ref dry pens, I can leave a Carene on my desk uncapped all day and it writes immediately used. I have tried this with other models and they have not been so forthcoming.

Edited by Force

Is this a new pen and converter.

Either way, wash it out in warm soapy water. Maybe leave it to soak a while. Many have had problems with mould release agents contaminating the parts and no allowing the ink to seep.

How does preform with a cartridge.

Ref dry pens, I can leave a Carene on my desk uncapped all day and it writes immediately used. I have tried this with other models and they have not been so forthcoming.

Yes it is a new pen + converter. I don't like cartriges and I don't have any now. Well, it does write immediately, in that respect there is no problem, but it is not wet enough. So I am curious if there is any adjustment I can make. May be I should try washing as you suggest.

You may also ponder this. It may be trapped air, but it may also be a case of regularly flooding the feed to get the desired line. The best bet is to assume the problem lies in the freshness of the pen, and pursue more advanced damp-enhancement only if the washing-out doesn't produce the results hoped for.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

What size nib is it?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The easiest test is: try a cartridge. (even if you do not like them....)

If no problem, it's the converter.

If still problem, try extra cleaning, and a thorough priming of the feed: leave the pen nib down in the inkbottle for a night. New feeds can be too dry and that way they are really soaked.

And of course, check for problems with tine spacing/baby bottom, tough unlikely on Waterman pens.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

@ pajaro: It is an EF nib.

Thanks everybody for answers. I guess it is the nature of the pen. As Azura pointed out above.

I tried washing it, leaving it in ink one night, no help.

I wish pens did have an easy adjustment for wetness. Because it needs to be adjusted according to the paper used. The notebook I am using is good with a wet pen, but not good with a dry one.

Edited by ozo

I must throw the cat among the pigeons with this one.

When a pen is inverted in use for a good period, be it fitted with cartridge or converter, as the ink flows down and out of the reservoir a vacuum is drawn at the top which will gradually prevent ink flowing (dropping) into the feed. The nib then dries.

An occasional turning of the nib up for a few seconds should help flow....no. What do you th....ink.

Also, Waterman cartridges have a nylon ball to help break up air pockets...I still think one should be tried.

@ pajaro: It is an EF nib.

Thanks everybody for answers. I guess it is the nature of the pen. As Azura pointed out above.

I tried washing it, leaving it in ink one night, no help.

I wish pens did have an easy adjustment for wetness. Because it needs to be adjusted according to the paper used. The notebook I am using is good with a wet pen, but not good with a dry one.

I guess you did not read my article, right? When I was the official US distributor for several Brands of pens, I adjusted hundreds of them. I guess I have a bit of experience. Before you give up on one of the best pens in the market, why don't you try the tips I provide in the article I linked in my previous post above. It's called: "Nib tweaking. How to adjust a nib for perfect flow". Read it. It's free.

Edited by tryphon

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

I guess you did not read my article, right? When I was the official US distributor for several Brands of pens, I adjusted hundreds of them. I guess I have a bit of experience. Before you give up on one of the best pens in the market, why don't you try the tips I provide in the article I linked in my previous post above. It's called: "Nib tweaking. How to adjust a nib for perfect flow". Read it. It's free.

Of course, you are right about adjusting a nib for flow. I wondered about what the nib size might be, though, because you can only adjust a nib so much to increase flow before you spread the tines too far. You can only get so much out of an ef nib, and if you want it a lot wetter, you might be better served by changing to a fine or even a medium from an extra fine.

These nibs are friction fit, and it's a reasonable user task to pull the nib and feed, and then to fit a fine or medium to the feed and push it back in. I have changed a couple of Laureat medium nibs for extra fine Expert II nibs to get a thinner drier line, so it's possible to go the other way and change an extra fine for a fine or medium if you want more flow and a wider line.

If you want the extra fine line but wetter, you could cautiously try adjusting the nib. If you adjust it too much, you might need to send it to a nib expert to get it right.

I bought my extra fine Expert II nibs from Dutchpen in the classifieds. About $25 plus shipping. I think the nibs were in a section already. Probably just a screw-in fix.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Of course, you are right about adjusting a nib for flow. I wondered about what the nib size might be, though, because you can only adjust a nib so much to increase flow before you spread the tines too far. You can only get so much out of an ef nib, and if you want it a lot wetter, you might be better served by changing to a fine or even a medium from an extra fine.

These nibs are friction fit, and it's a reasonable user task to pull the nib and feed, and then to fit a fine or medium to the feed and push it back in. I have changed a couple of Laureat medium nibs for extra fine Expert II nibs to get a thinner drier line, so it's possible to go the other way and change an extra fine for a fine or medium if you want more flow and a wider line.

If you want the extra fine line but wetter, you could cautiously try adjusting the nib. If you adjust it too much, you might need to send it to a nib expert to get it right.

I bought my extra fine Expert II nibs from Dutchpen in the classifieds. About $25 plus shipping. I think the nibs were in a section already. Probably just a screw-in fix.

Good point! Perhaps the problem is the Extra Fine nib, although even such nibs can be made to write fairly wet.

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....