Choosing Edison

Green Ink

Hi all,

I would like to hear from all you Edison pen fans. I'd like to hear about your pens.

I'd especially like to know about what customizations you have that you like and what you'd do differently.

I'm looking forward to your replies. Photos are nice too! Many thanks in advance.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crazyorange

• PAKMAN

• white_lotus

• Elle_

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a Edison Beaumont with a broad nib. I enjoyed the pen, but it was too small for my hand, but the nib was awesome, I think Edison pens are top quality even if you get the steel nib like I did, although I have not tried their gold nib, I was thoroughly impressed by the quality of the pen.

For my birthday, my wife gave me a generous budget for a new pen, with the only requirement being an 18 karat gold nib. She knew that was special, and insisted on it.

After a lot of shopping, I chose a Signature Edison Collier with a fine 18 karat gold nib. The barrel and cap are persimmon swirl, with black ends and a black grip section. The fill system is a pump filler.

This is a truly wonderful pan. It has joined the rotation with my Parker Duofold Centennial and Aurora Optima and has taken over the top spot. I don't know why anyone would ever need more fountain pen than this Collier.

I have the Collier in Silver Marble colour. Mine is the production model and comes with the converter. I chose the 1.1 mm stub nib. The pen is gorgeous to look at and writes well. For $160.00, I think Edison is a great buy with great quality. I am looking to get a Menlo.

I have three Colliers and a Nouveau Premiere in the Spring 2014 colour, all with 1.1 steel nibs. I'm looking forward to getting the LE 2014 Glenmont group buy. I love all of them, but prefer the Collier as the bigger girth is more comfortable for me.

post-41470-0-62103200-1409662022.jpg

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

I have 4 edison pens. The green Menlo is my favorite. The pump action is great. Looking at the ink through the barrel is fun. If you do a custom order Brian can modify the nib. Or you can request richard binder to customize the nib. There's endless options if you look at the galleries.

You can check this thread out with edison pens.

http://www.fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6451

post-110323-0-31913600-1409682106_thumb.jpg

Edited by Crazyorange

I have two custom Edison pens: a Beaumont pneumatic, and a Menlo pump filler. I like them both quite a bit, very happy with them. The Beaumont is getting more use at the moment as I like the slightly smaller size of the section and the pen. It fits slightly better for my hands.

My favorite is my Edison Urushi Mina

post-5351-0-85244700-1409683328.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I have one Edison, Sheila has 3 or 4. Mine was a customized Herald in Ebonite with two nibs. A couple years on it is still a very prominent candidate for my desert island pen. Here's a link to a complete review with additional thoughts: http://penfatness.blogspot.com/2013_01_01_archive.html

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Beautiful. Who did the urushi?

Ernest Shin

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

The Goulet Pen Company has a special custom Edison called the Nouveau Premiere and they do a new color every quarter. Just fyi. I just ordered the latest version as that color will harmonize with my other two Edisons.

I have four. Three Edison Premier Nouveau, all from Goulet, and a custom Beaumont. My best advice is choose the size that best fits your hand, but it's worth a custom one for your first so you can enjoy Brian Edison's endless patience and advice. I also really advocate buying Edison nibs from Richard Binder. I loved my Edison's appearance but hated how the wrote, until I got binderized nibs. I don't have my custom nib from Brian yet, but it may be the exception. I did not like the nibs I got direct from Goulet though.

I would kill for that Urushi Mina. And if anyone has the winter Premier Nouveau, I am trying to buy one.

FWIW, my Edison's with Binder Nibs are my favorite pens, hands down. I like them more than MB's for three times the price. But they have to have that Binderized nib.

Based on Elle_'s comment, i just ordered two fine Edison nibs from Richard Binder. I am happy with the 1.1 italics I got from both Edison and Goulet, but the fines were a tad disappointing. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference, as I have never had a "Binderized" nib of any kind.

I currently own three, all purchased in celebration of some event. The two custom Pearls are extended in length; I like to post my pens and the Pearl does not lend itself to posting, thus the extended length. Both have stub nibs and are acrylic - one in electric violet (purple/red with shimmer) while the other is black/orange. The custom Collier, in ivory celluloid was purchased secondhand; it has a fine nib, if I recall correctly. My personal preference is for the girth and length of the Pearl, though a longer Collier would probably be perfect for me.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

One of my favourite pens is a custom Purple Web Celluloid capless Pearl, sporting a stainless 1.1 Butterline stub.

Here's the illuminated cap.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my hands on an Edison Urushi Mina!!! It is my first Edison (although technically the second purchased since I am waiting on the 2014 group buy to get produced). I am astoundingly lucky. It was your classic love story. I spotted it from across the room and couldn't take my eyes off it. Pen shows are the best!

I'd love to see your Urushi Mina!

I've really enjoyed what everyone has said about their Edisons. I ordered a Mina in black rose acrylic with a Binder .7 cursive italic nib.