Black Ink For Kuretake Brush Pen ?

SkippyleGrandGourou

Hi all,

Hopefully this is the right place to ask…

I've recently acquired a Kuretake no. 8, and the first cartridge is almost gone, so I'm about to purchase more ink. The Kuretake comes with cartridges of a black ink which seems fine to me (I know nothing about ink and only started ink work). However I'd rather buy a bottle of ink and refill the cartridges than buy cartridges.

There are some ink comparisons on the web, but they focus on waterproof alternatives, since ink from Kuretake cartridges is not, while actually I'd prefer non-waterproof ink.

Any advice from other Kuretake brush pen users ? I've read some inks wouldn't flow well or could even ruin the pen, which obviously I don't want to.

Thanks.

Edit : Added "Black" in title.

Edited by SkippyleGrandGourou

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Icywolfe

• SkippyleGrandGourou

• TeaHive

• Algester

Hi all,

Hopefully this is the right place to ask…

I've recently acquired a Kuretake no. 8, and the first cartridge is almost gone, so I'm about to purchase more ink. The Kuretake comes with cartridges of a black ink which seems fine to me (I know nothing about ink and only started ink work). However I'd rather buy a bottle of ink and refill the cartridges than buy cartridges.

There are some ink comparisons on the web, but they focus on waterproof alternatives, since ink from Kuretake cartridges is not, while actually I'd prefer non-waterproof ink.

Any advice from other Kuretake brush pen users ? I've read some inks wouldn't flow well or could even ruin the pen, which obviously I don't want to.

Thanks.

I think their carriages it the same as Platinum black.

Read this

http://www.stutler.cc/other/sketchbook/sketchbook_c_03.html

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

This ink:

http://www.gouletpens.com/Platinum_Black_60ml_Ink_p/plat-ink-1201.htm

It's semi water proof. From what I noticed when I used a ink sample a while back. The ink will be more water proof as time went on.

Here is a review I found of that ink:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/249462-platinum-standard-black/

#Nope

You can also get a Platinum converter and use any waterproof fountain pen ink. I currently have Noodler's Lexington Grey in mine.

Non notisi signi.

...while actually I'd prefer non-waterproof ink.

Everyone seems to think you want waterproof ink, when you clearly state you want NON-WATERPROOF. As an aside, this probably belongs in the Inky Thoughts forums.

Anyway, your options are pretty limitless. I actually really like the Kuretake ink that comes in the cartridges. It seems to be a nice neutral color that pairs well with water-work. It's unfortunate that it doesn't come in bottle form. But really, you can pick almost anything to refill a cartridge (or use with a Platinum converter). I'd suggest just looking at ink reviews to find one that washes out into a tone you like.

As for inks that would damage the pen... You should be good to go with any pH neutral ink made for fountain pens (not dip or calligraphy ink), so long as you regularly clean it out, and don't let the ink dry out. Some of the more highly saturated inks might cause some flow issues if you aren't using and cleaning regularly, but giving the section a good soak in slightly warm (not hot) water in that event should loosen everything up. I managed to clean out my Kuretake No. 13 that way after leaving it sit for a couple years. Eek! (I didn't really know how to take care of pens back then, but thankfully no lasting damage was done).

SO, the best bet, like I said, would be to look at ink reviews that show how the ink washes out with water. That way, you can pick the undertone you find agreeable for your sketching.

The odd thing is Platinum Black is a weird ink. It's not waterproof the day you put it down but it gains waterproofness over time.

I have a good feeling that Kure take carts might just be rebranded Platinum black. Not carbon black. They both got similar smell and similar properties. Any same color of black.

#Nope

Everyone seems to think you want waterproof ink, when you clearly state you want NON-WATERPROOF. As an aside, this probably belongs in the Inky Thoughts forums.

Anyway, your options are pretty limitless. I actually really like the Kuretake ink that comes in the cartridges. It seems to be a nice neutral color that pairs well with water-work. It's unfortunate that it doesn't come in bottle form. But really, you can pick almost anything to refill a cartridge (or use with a Platinum converter). I'd suggest just looking at ink reviews to find one that washes out into a tone you like.

As for inks that would damage the pen... You should be good to go with any pH neutral ink made for fountain pens (not dip or calligraphy ink), so long as you regularly clean it out, and don't let the ink dry out. Some of the more highly saturated inks might cause some flow issues if you aren't using and cleaning regularly, but giving the section a good soak in slightly warm (not hot) water in that event should loosen everything up. I managed to clean out my Kuretake No. 13 that way after leaving it sit for a couple years. Eek! (I didn't really know how to take care of pens back then, but thankfully no lasting damage was done).

SO, the best bet, like I said, would be to look at ink reviews that show how the ink washes out with water. That way, you can pick the undertone you find agreeable for your sketching.

The odd thing is Platinum Black is a weird ink. It's not waterproof at all the day you put it down. But it gains waterpoofness over days. So I guess you can call it "semi waterproof."

I have a good feeling Kuretake Cart ink is just rebranded Platinum Black ink. Not carbon black, but plain black. It has the same properties and the same color(?) of black. I remember the smell was very similar too. Taste? I have yet to drink ink on a daily basis.

#Nope

The only Platinum black ink I've tried is indeed the carbon, in the form of the Platinum Art Brush pen. That ink will not budge from the instant I put it down. As for the Kuretake, I don't have any older examples I'm willing to brush over. I have some hours-old doodles I did after seeing this thread, and just washed them with water. Not waterproof in the least. I'll keep checking it out, though.

The only Platinum black ink I've tried is indeed the carbon, in the form of the Platinum Art Brush pen. That ink will not budge from the instant I put it down. As for the Kuretake, I don't have any older examples I'm willing to brush over. I have some hours-old doodles I did after seeing this thread, and just washed them with water. Not waterproof in the least. I'll keep checking it out, though.

I tried Carbon Black, Black, Mixfree Black. They all smell horrible. Mixfree is weak. Black is just weird you need really absorbent paper to speed up the waterproofness, if not it's just as weak at the Mixfree Black. Carbon black is pigment, more Bulletproof than Noodler's black. My Kuretake inks I got from the expo was waterproof-ish. "Ish" comes from that in my old testing it was iffy. I testing stuff after I think about a month after placing it on the paper. Because I misplaced the paper.

I can do a more accurate testing once my Kuretake Brush pen I've ordered comes in. Well for me I'll load up Platinum Carbon black just because that is the most Black ink I've seen in a long while. Noodler's Black is more of a Dark Brown-gray. But that brush peen should come with 1 free cart.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

Thank you very much for all the input. Following Icywolfe comments I would go for the Platinum Black, but from here it's not much cheaper than Kuretake cartridges so I think I'll have a look at ink reviews in there and go for whatever looks good, as suggested by TeaHive.

Ok, after a bit of reading I'm considering the following (for some reason I'm not much appealled by Aurora Black, which anyway is apparently thicker than Perle Noire), each of which has a particular flaw :

- Diamine Onyx Black is said to red-stain the quill ;

- J. Herbin Perle Noire is said to be too thick for some fine pens ;

- Private Reserve Fast Dry Ultra Black, on the contrary, may flow too much.

Of course these characteristics apply to fountain pens. Any thought of how they could translate on a brush pen ? The more liquid the better ?

Thank you very much for all the input. Following Icywolfe comments I would go for the Platinum Black, but from here it's not much cheaper than Kuretake cartridges so I think I'll have a look at ink reviews in there and go for whatever looks good, as suggested by TeaHive.

Kuretake ink is more expensive for me in the US.

There is Platinum black in ink bottle for a expensive price of 20 USD. I think Pilot black is similar and you can get that for 13-20 USD from JP and it 350ml. There is no way to waste that much ink quickly.

#Nope

I only have a couple blacks. I have Poky, which is cheap and came free with a pen, has a purple sort of tone to it. Eck.. It flows too readily and feathers, bleeds though paper. And Noodler's Heart of Darkness, which is quite water-resistant, but a true black. It's what I plan to put in my Kuretake No. 40, when I eventually get a Platinum converter. That ink seems to work just fine, no issues with fountain pens, but I've yet to try it with the brush.

As for other blacks. not owning them, I don't have any experience with how they flow or feel. I have other J. Herbin inks which seem quite "wet," and flow readily. I can only give suggestions based on color, haha. Because I have looked at a LOT of ink reviews.

Here's a link to another topic that has a couple different examples of black ink:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/272997-inky-t-o-d-black-inks-which-ones-do-you-own-and-which-are-your-favorites/

Here's a nifty swab chart of a bunch of different blacks. Note that swabs will look different than pen or brush application.

http://www.jetpens.com/images/a/000/040/40691.jpg

The Onyx Black by Diamine sure looks like it has a red element to it, making it warmer. Others have purple, green, and blue tones.

I do have lots of other Diamine inks, and they all behave very well. Perhaps Diamine Jet Black? It's fairly inexpensive, $12.50 USD or so for an 80ml bottle. If you live in the US and order from JetPens (I'm not an affiliate of JetPens, by the way, just someone who shops from their website a LOT), you get free shipping if you spend $25.00.

Thanks again. I'm afraid Pilot Black and Diamine Jet Black are less dark than the three I mentioned. I think I'll just go for Perle Noire, which seems fairly popular (and has been tested with great success on a Kuretake no. 13, although it's not said how it performs on the long run…). If ever it doesn't flow well enough then I'll buy some Private Reserve Ultra Black and probably mix both.

• 1 year later...