Aurora Ipsilon Vs. Ipsilon Deluxe Differences

prf5

I just bought a used Aurora on eBay. It was advertised as an Ipsilon, but with a 14k nib it may be an Ipsilon deluxe. Besides the nib, are there differences in size, weight, girth, or design between the two models?Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• prf5

• Keyless Works

• Barnaby Bumble

The cap ring is a gold plate or rhodium plate instead of black and gold or chrome trim. Also the clip while essentially the same design has the center colored the same as the body on the Deluxe. As far as weight I don't recall there being a big difference. I ended up with the Ipsilon Metallic with a steel nib and I love it.

The clip while essentially the same design has the center colored the same as the body on the Deluxe.

Thanks. That helps. The pictures of the pen are poor, but it appears that the center of the clip is the same blue color as the body. Depending on the condition of the pen, I may have gotten lucky.

The Ipsilon arrived today. I checked it out with a magnifying glass. For the most part, the description on eBay was accurate. The seller failed to identify a prominent wear mark where the index finger goes when the pen is in use. The pen came in what appears to be its original box, sans manual. It is clearly identified on the side of the box as an Ipsilon Deluxe. The dark blue color is much more attractive than what the picture indicated. The seller said that, but poor pictures plus his failure to identify the pen as a Deluxe probably contributed to its relatively low selling price. I wouldn't say that the pen looks cheap, but it's more serviceable than stylish.Weight is proportional to the overall length and girth. Balance is adequate, but a bit heavy on the nib end. The 14k EF nib is very smooth, surprisingly so. Another delight is the snap I hear when the pen is posted. The best test over time is how closely to keep it around and how often I reach for it. In the meantime, it seems to be a suitable temporary replacement while my Pelikan is being honed.

Glad to hear that is adequate for your needs. I am surprised to hear there is a wear mark on the section though. My Ipsilon doesn't have one and its had a lot of use.

I sort of warm up to pens that pass the basic tests rather than having an immediate "it's terrific" reaction -- so pardon my being tentative about a pen that you have embraced. Time will tell. But I continue to be impressed by how smooth is the EF nib.

Unfortunately, the Ipsilon Deluxe proved to be defective. Because I purchased it hassle-free on eBay, I was able to give it a much more thorough trial than if I had bought it used from a retailer. However, I was able to use the pen long enough to be impressed by this model, especially its proportion of weight, length, and girth, and how easily it handled.

• 2 months later...

I recently got an Ipsilon -- the one with the chrome fittings and satin silver finish, whichever model that is -- and have been very impressed with it. In fact, I'd call it a bargain.

The other pen that comes to mind in its price range is the Lamy 2000, and I have to say my Ipsilon writes the pants off my 2000. The Lamy is a piston filler, so that's nice, but if somebody put the 2 pens in front of me and told me to pick one to write with, I'd pick the Ipsilon 10 times out of 10.

I'll be posting a video review of it at some point.

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews