Parker 45 Pen Won't Flow

emileh

So recently my father gave me his old Parker 45 (with gold nib) as he thought I needed a "decent pen". Unfortunately though, despite many attempts- cold water, various cartridges,etc- we can't get it to flow very well. Admittedly, it's not the newest of pens and has sat unused in a drawer for the past few years. Whenever I try to use it it cuts out mid flow or just doesn't write at all- the ink's just not flowing right. Any ideas on how to get it 'running' again?

Thanks,

Emily

p.s sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm new here

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• emileh

• jjdeal

• cellmatrix

• Mike 59

Top Posters In This Topic

The nib unit unscrews from the pen. Take it out and soak it in water for a long time to get rid of crusted ink.

in addition to the nib unit, the section which the nib screws into can also accumulate a lot of dry ink, so be sure to flush and soak this too. An ultrasound or a soak in 1:5 household ammonia to water for both the nib section and the nib unit can help speed things along and get rid of really badly crusted stuff.

Edited by cellmatrix

That section Cellmatrix speaks of, has an ink collector inside it nearly as extensive as the one inside a Parker 51. As such, a P-45, Especially a cloggy one, May Well benefit Greatly from the same extensive soakNflush regimen detailed here. It certainly won't hurt.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/223983-youve-got-your-first-found-in-the-wild-parker-51-in-your-hand-now-what/

While it's soaking you'll have plenty of time to disassemble the nib assembly and get it all spic and span too.

Go to YouTube. Search on Disassemble Parker 45.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Hi emileh, to disassemble the nib unit don't do it dry. I broke one that way. You can leave it a while in water to soften any deposits attached to it. The first time you take it off, you'll notice it has a soft glue on the thread, don't worry because it is not vital for its functioning.
In this link you can see pictures of the different parts: http://www.relojes-especiales.com/foros/estilograficas/despiece-plumin-parker-45-a-168492/

Regards, Aldo

So recently my father gave me his old Parker 45 (with gold nib) as he thought I needed a "decent pen". Unfortunately though, despite many attempts- cold water, various cartridges,etc- we can't get it to flow very well. Admittedly, it's not the newest of pens and has sat unused in a drawer for the past few years. Whenever I try to use it it cuts out mid flow or just doesn't write at all- the ink's just not flowing right. Any ideas on how to get it 'running' again?

Thanks,

Emily

p.s sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm new here

This is the way 45s always worked for me in the past. However, goaded by tales of success with 45s, I bought a couple of them recently and they actually write, both fines and mediums. So, the chances are that the pen needs the good cleaning recommended above. I had the same problem with some Sonnets and a Frontier. Soak them, and if it doesn't get it, try the ten percent ammonia solution to clean it up. I soak nibs in ten percent ammonia in an old cleaned up ink bottle so the ammonia doesn't just evaporate and foul the air. Good luck.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

If you are ok with taking your '45' apart, then the video is a really good guide;

Search Youtube for; Parker 45 disassembly

If you don't fancy taking it apart, then soaking the lower nib/grip section overnight may be enough.

A small glass jar or cup would be ok, add one or two drops of dish washing up liquid, then add water to be enough to cover the pen section, (2"" deep or so.)

Leave pen in solution overnight, then stand it with nib on a paper towel. This will draw out water plus ink, and after say 30 minutes, give the pen a good shake to get out any water of the socket part where the cartridge plugs in.

You can repeat all this as much as needed, but if you fit a Parker Quink cartridge, you may find it now writes well.

If the ink cartridges are also ten years old, it's worth spending on a few new ones, as ink tends to evaporate over time, even from sealed cartridges.

The Parker 45 is a good design, is very comfortable to hold, and very reliable, given a 'flush' out from time to time.

You can use Parker cartridges, or Parker's ink converters, which then allows you to fill the pen from a bottle, and gives a vast choice of inks to try out, eg. Parker, Waterman, Pelikan, Pilot, Cross, Mont Blanc, Diamine etc.

Edited by Mike 59

Thanks to all for the help. Ended up disassembling the nib unit, flushing and soaking it for a while and now it's working perfectly! Thanks again!

http://i58.tinypic.com/14b4y0l.jpg