Five Esterbrook Score

69Boss302

I make pens and have become more and more fascinated by fountain pens. Today I picked up 5 that are in excellent condition that were obviously in a collection. Because of the age, I want to resac them and thanks to this site, I've found what I needed.

There is one thing that I haven't seen just yet and I'm not sure what the term is for the part. It's cracked and I'm sure it doesn't improve the pens functionality at all.

Could someone help out with the part name and if they can be found anywhere?

Thank you.

post-116029-0-37194500-1409449270_thumb.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 69Boss302

• estie1948

• ac12

• scully012

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a collar for the nib unit. Esterbrooks were designed with the ability to easily swap nib units. Likely, that crack won't affect the function of the pen, so if you're going to keep it, you could consider leaving it. Otherwise, you'll probably have to replace the whole nib unit, as they're easily available.

The crack may or may not let air into the pen, making it drip.

If it does drip, replacement nibs are from $10 to 20 for most nibs and are easily found on eBay or places like AndersonPens

http://www.andersonpens.net/nibs-esterbrook-s/1987.htm

Before you go shopping for a new nib, think about what nib size you want, cuz there are a LOT of different nibs to choose from, to the point that it can be confusing.

BTW, because the nibs are available, if you don't like any of the nibs on your other Esterbrooks, replace them.

The nib assemblies are used or NOS. No one makes them today.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Ac12,

Thanks for the link and info. That helps a lot.

Here is the rest of the bunch. I forgot to add a pic earlier.

post-116029-0-07434200-1409470785_thumb.jpg

Beautiful group of excellent pens. I hope you enjoy them. Looks like that nib with the cracked collar is a 9xxx series nib. The 9xxx series nibs tend to be very smooth.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

What is the light colored pen with the metal cap?

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

It's an Esterbrook J model as well. According to Richards pens, its from the early 50's and a copycat of what others were doing at the time.

Beautiful group of excellent pens. I hope you enjoy them. Looks like that nib with the cracked collar is a 9xxx series nib. The 9xxx series nibs tend to be very smooth.

-David.

It is a 9668 nib.

The others are 1550, 1551, 1554, and a 2668. I'm feeling drawn to the 1551 and 2668 already because of their size. I like thinner writing pens.

Would Noodlers Ink be a good fit for these nibs?

Edited by 69Boss302

I use Noodler's in my esties all the time with no issues. One of the benefits of these pens is that they're easy to clean.

I use Noodler's in my esties all the time with no issues. One of the benefits of these pens is that they're easy to clean.

I also use Noodler's without any problems. It has been my experience that Esterbrooks are not ink finicky and use any fountain pen ink. I've used Noodler's inks predominately, though not exclusively, since I discovered them here on the Fountain Pen Network.

Just to be clear, the nibs are interchangeable. If you like the looks or feel of the pen that had the broken nib better than one that has a nib you like, you can exchange the nibs. Just thought I'd mention this in case you didn't know. No point letting a pen lie idle while waiting to pick up a new nib.

-David.

While no one makes nib units specifically for the Esterbrook today English made Osmiroid nibs will fit. I don't know if these are still being made but they are redly available and they offer stubs and italics that are harder to find in Esterbrook nibs. Also, some of the Osmiroids are gold plated. There are some gold-plated English Estie nibs (but they are rare) and a few of the older American Estie nibs had gold highlighting, also hard to find and, therefore, expensive.

Are the nibs shellacked into these collars?

You just screw them in, carefully seating them. That's part of the charm of these pens. They were designed to be versatile, and easy for the owner to maintain. Just hold the nib carefully across the top of the nib (not from the side), and I screw the pen onto the nib until it seats.

Thanks Gweimer but I should clarify. Are the nibs shellacked or glued to the collar holding both the nib and feed?

Edited by 69Boss302

Thanks Gweimer but I should clarify. Are the nibs shellacked or glued to the collar holding both the nib and feed?

No. The nib and feed are not shellacked or glued to the collar. However, getting them out of the collar without breaking the collar is almost impossible in my experience. If you are lucky enough or skilled enough to get them out and leave the collar intact, then getting a feed and nib back into the collar is not impossible, but pretty close unless, again, you are lucky or very skilled. Understand that there are those who can and do this when a nib or feed is damaged beyond repair. In such a case there is little to lose as the unit is not any good in its damaged condition. I have attempted this myself under these conditions, but I have not been successful - neither skilled enough nor lucky enough.

As I said there are those who are skilled enough to do this and have done it often enough that it may even be old hat to them. But I believe their number is pretty small. I believe Ron Zorn, Brian Anderson, Paul Hoban, Bruce the OcalaFlGuy, and FarmBoy. There maybe others. Get advice from one or more of them if you are going to try it.

This exercise is not necessary in general since the entire unit can be changed so easily and there are NOS units available. Hope this helps.

-David.

Edited by estie1948

Are the nibs shellacked into these collars?

The nib is not, however the feed can be secured in one of 2 ways; a pin or a crimp into a notch on the feed.

Do you just want to remove the nib from the broken collar?

If so you can get a cup of HOT water and CAREFULLY dip the collar into the hot water for maybe 10-15 sec.

Then carefully wiggle out the nib. If it comes out, it will be a tiny bit at a time, so be patient.

You may have to dip it into the water a few times to get the collar soft enough to let you wiggle out the nib.

Once the nib out, the feed can be removed by hand, if it is crimped.

If the feed is pinned into the collar, I don't know how to easily remove the feed. I am guessing that you could get a "small" flattened nail or punch to drive out the pin enough to grab with a plier then pull it out.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Ac,

Thanks for all the help. I want to give them a full cleaning as I think now would be the ideal way to go. That's why the interest in fully disassembling the pens.

On a side note, I received a red Estie today. I quickly dipped it in some Diamine Matador and said, "Oh yeah!". Writes like a dream.