Parker 51 Flighter, Yay Or Nay?

Burrgundy

I am nearly, brand new to fountain pens and very excited to be a member of the forum! I have been over at /r/fountainpens for two years now, and finally decided to slide down the slippery slope of a new hobby. I picked up a Pilot Metorpolitan, Rhodia, and iroshizuku last week and have subsequently decided to go big or go home. This is an impulse buy, and I know it, but there is no stopping it now. I simply must have a Parker 51 Flighter. I have never seen a pen in two years of lurking that captures me like it does. There is one on ebay currently, but I do not know enough about pens (yet!) to determine if it is in collectable/useable condition. Is it kosher forum decorum to post the ebay link and ask for advice?

If not, how do I find out where pen shows are?!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Burrgundy

• OcalaFlGuy

• Lou Erickson

• wspohn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found one from a local for $125, restored and ready to write, so if the auction is for much more than that you might look again. If it isn't restored, there's several folks around here who'll do that for $50ish, IIRC, so put that in your budget and keep it in mind - a non-restored one can be sorted out.

If Bruce (OcalaFLGuy) doesn't see this and chime in, you might PM him and ask - he's got a knack for getting good deals on 51's, and loves the thrill of the hunt.

Having said all that, I'll say that a flighter 51 is a beautiful pen, and I am really enjoying the one I picked up last weekend at the SF Pen Show. I have three flighters now (a 51, a 45, and a 180) and having a couple of stainless steel pens with gold clips in the pocket is quite satisfying.

The 45's a nice pen, too, and can sometimes be found for half what the 51 goes for. Teri over at Peyton Street Pens (no affiliation other than satisfied customer) has several 45's at the moment, including a flighter for half what I just got a 51 flighter for, and a flighter FP, BP, and pencil set which is extremely attractive.

Don't let me talk you out of a 51 flighter, though. They're lovely pens, sleek and modern stainless, and great to write with.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

A 51 Flighter is a very sought after pen for 51 and Parker collectors in general. A nice example can sell for well over $200.

While the barrel and cap are steel, the hood is plastic. I would try to see if the hood is chipped or cracked. I would also try to look for any dents or dings in the barrel and cap. Checking the nib for misaligned or bent tines and good tipping is important as well.

It's really impossible to tell from a photo that a pen will write, so trying a restored one in person or buying one from a reputable dealer is always more advisable. The money you might save from buying on eBay you might spend on restoration costs.

Also, be wary of the differences between USA-made and Argentinean and Brazilian flighters. Not that these are inferior to the American-made models, but these were made later on and are much less collectible.

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

My observations:

- The gold trim looks rather worn.

- The nib looks like a Fine to me, NOT a Medium. So it will write finer/narrower than your Metro.

I'm not impressed with the finish.

As a user, it might be OK, since as a user, you are going to wear the finish anyway.

But as something to look at, you might be disappointed. There are better out there.

And as Lou mentioned, a Parker 45 flighter is a nice looking pen as well. I have a few of them.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I had figured the same concerning the finish ac12, but I was hoping it was just a bad photo. Hum...I guess I will pass on this one. I really want to start my collection with this pen and I want a decent representative! Thank you!

'

I had figured the same concerning the finish ac12, but I was hoping it was just a bad photo. Hum...I guess I will pass on this one. I really want to start my collection with this pen and I want a decent representative! Thank you!

'

I would set your sights lower, something else, easier to find a good example of and less expensive to buy, to get you going.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Burgundy, I don't disagree with AC12's appraisal of the pen.

I too have a problem with the finish, more precisely, the Lack of the frosty finish it Should have. The sad thing is, IMO, someone went out of their way to polish Off all the original frosted finish for some insane reason. They've basically Ruined the finish of it IMO. Again IMO it's right now at the max of what one should pay for it. I say it was overly polished as the rest of the Gold filled parts are in Too Good of condition for the pen to have worn that way naturally. To have one of the probably 3 men in the U.S who do that refinishing best refinish it would be at least $100 for the whole pen and cap.

That was the quantitative part, now for the not so easy for me qualitative part. :(

Rest assured I am indeed a 51 Faninista, I do not say the next easily but I still Must say it none the less. You see, I have the "weakness" of having no option than to "calls 'em likes I sees 'em" and let the chips fall where they may.

Far be it from me to Ever try and dissuade someone from joining "Club 51".

Except for making a Flighter your First 51 without 1-Having used a standard 51 first. 2-Having used, held in your hand, a 51 Flighter also.

Now my Flighter is indeed an Argentine model. Which whille it's fit and finish IMO is equal to a U.S. model, it's just a hair heavier.

Please also know that aesthetically speaking Alone, I Adore the dual tone U.S Flighter. Mine is the same as a U.S. model without the Gold trim ring on the cap.

2012-07-02_15-41-17_609.jpg

2012-07-02_15-43-15_538.jpg

However, and you have no idea how it pains me to say this, IMO, the all metalness of the Flighter Ruins the perfectness of the weight and balance of a standard 51. Flat out Ruins it. I have Several 51's as you can probably imagine, but, I feel So strongly about this it is unlikely that I will pursue getting a nice condition U.S. Flighter 51 to add to my Argentine one.

If you are So strongly afflicted with Flighteritis, and believe me, I know the affliction well, and feel you Must Still Own one, I cannot more strongly urge you to NOT get one Until you do 1 and 2 above. As alluded to in prior posts, when you find one in "proper" condition, be prepared to lay out between $200-300 for it.

Now. In ending, I'll actually propose some good but slightly Different "news".

I equally as strongly as above Do urge you to get a P-45 Flighter. While they Are somewhat heavier than the standard 45, I don't find the difference obnoxious like I do with the 51. There is an all stainless P-45 Flighter with gold trim (NOT the gold barrel ended one) that looks Very Nice and can be found in Great shape for around $40-50 With a 14k gold nib.

Yes, I do know my way around Fleabay, and 45's and 51's there. I would gladly assist you in finding a nice Flighter 45 in the best shape for the least amount of money if you would like me to.

I'm sorry if this wasn't the puppies, kittens, rainbows and waffels Flighter post you desired, but like I said earlier, I just has to calls 'em likes I sees 'em. Sometimes, no matter How Much it pains me to do just that, like now.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

I had no idea 51 Flighters carried such a premium. (I am shocked that I got the one I did now!)

I think Bruce is right to warn you not to start there, though, as it will be different than the typical and beautifully working P51.

Some people don't like the hooded nib, and have trouble keeping the pen oriented, and wind up not liking the 51 at all. (This is not me. I apparently prefer anything but the open nib, hence my 51's, 45, 180, Carane, Targas, and old Triumph nibs.)

It would be a shame for you to struggle to find one, and pay a premium for the Flighter, and dislike either the 51 in general or the Flighter in specific.

Instead of starting with the One True Pen, work your way there. Make the journey part of the enjoyment.

If you're not interested in a 45, consider a plastic bodied 51. They're delicious pens, but if they're not for you you're not as far into something you don't want. Maybe Bruce could help you find one of those at a very good price.

Then try and find someone nearby or a local show to hold the 51 Flighter and write with it.

I did those things before I bought one, and I'm glad. If I had not, I might have been surprised the weight is different, or thought, "Wow, these 51's suck" and not understood why.

Once you know it's the pen for you, you can hunt one up, on that quest for you Grail Pen so many of us go through. And, if it really is as good as you wanted, sell off the plastic 51 to another excited person who wants that 51 mystique. It's pretty easy to find a 51 a good home.

Luck on your journey, however you choose to get there.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

The advice given above is excellent. I use a Parker 51 Flighter set as an EDC. They fit perfectly in every uniform pocket or sleeve, have the perfect image with those gold Parker arrows, and are rugged and reliable. Mine is also an F, and loaded with Iroshizuku Asa Gao. I really like the feel of this pen.

But it is heavier than the classic "51." I don't write with my Flighter posted, and that may be a subconscious effort to reduce the weight in my hand.

Good luck with your search as the "51" is truly a timeless design, a pure pleasure to hold, and writes with just about any fountain pen ink you could think of using.

Buzz

Some people don't like the hooded nib, and have trouble keeping the pen oriented, and wind up not liking the 51 at all. (This is not me. I apparently prefer anything but the open nib, hence my 51's, 45, 180, Carane, Targas, and old Triumph nibs.)

It would be a shame for you to struggle to find one, and pay a premium for the Flighter, and dislike either the 51 in general or the Flighter in specific.

Instead of starting with the One True Pen, work your way there. ***Make the journey part of the enjoyment.***

If you're not interested in a 45, consider a plastic bodied 51. They're delicious pens, but if they're not for you you're not as far into something you don't want. Maybe Bruce could help you find one of those at a very good price.

Then try and find someone nearby or a local show to hold the 51 Flighter and write with it.

I did those things before I bought one, and I'm glad. If I had not, I might have been surprised the weight is different, or thought, "Wow, these 51's suck" and not understood why.

Once you know it's the pen for you, you can hunt one up, on that quest for you Grail Pen so many of us go through. And, if it really is as good as you wanted, sell off the plastic 51 to another excited person who wants that 51 mystique. It's pretty easy to find a 51 a good home.

Luck on your journey, however you choose to get there.

Burrgundy, Lou is most correct, of course I'd be glad to help you find a standard 51. (Or any of the other pens I'm familiar enough with and knowledgable enough on to be comfortable hunting The Bay for.)

For standard 51s, you also have the most excellent option of contacting back channel FPNers Farmersmums and Penfisher. Both of these gentlemen specialize in 51s and next to a well researched out Fleabay deal, will give you the next best bang for your buck on a 51.

Do an Advanced search in the Classifieds here and past Classifieds for ads with their nicknames. The pics in their sales listings will speak for themselves.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

FWIW (at a slight tangent to the Parker 51 theme) I find the Parker 45 plastic a bit light, and the 45 flighter just right. Look out for a 45 flighter and I think you could be very happy with it.

I've found two in the wild for very good prices - they don't *look* expensive so they do turn up in pen mugs and boxes of pencils from time to time!

51s do vary - a 51 that has been badly set up (eg the nib is not quite at the right angle) is a horror, a well set up 51 is a delight. 45s are much, much more reliable if not such gorgeous pens. But a 51 flighter is certainly on my own shopping list (already have a rolled gold 51), so I'm not trying to dissuade you - just you might want to take the scenic route instead of the motorway to get there.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

As a member of the loyal opposition, a word...

I've worn the frosting off my Flighter as a everyday pen for years. I always post, and find it as nicely balanced as balanced can be.

A 45 is a nice pen, used one for years, it's never going to be a 51.

If you shop, and find a Flighter at a good price you are risking very little as they re-sell quickly. No guarantee you'll do so, but I sold my first at a profit.

It's always a good idea to test drive a pen you're going to invest in. A cheap 51 convinced me that (1) the size and nib would work put fine, and (2) that I'd never love an aero filler. The Flighter proved me wrong about #2, and a DJ Vac took care of what else to use.

Enjoy your search, and shop carefully. Bruce is the King of trolling for treasure in the 'bay, seeing what he can find for you might be very educational.

gary

Edited by gary

I found one for 5 (five) English pounds sterling about six weeks ago. In pretty good shape too, here's a picture. So it is possible to still find them cheaply.

post-115787-0-59640700-1409499909_thumb.jpg

Welcome to FPN. I'm not big on 51's so listen to Bruce. You must show us what you wind up getting. Don't worry that it's just a 45, this crowd gets excited about any pen.

Stick to uour guns and get the flighter of your dreams - just be patient. They are very rugged pens. I have two - I 'lost' mine, and had liked it so much that I bought another one - and then found the first one!

Go for whatever nib suits you. If you aren't sure, buy a cheaper 51 with the nib you think you want and test it out.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

You say that like he's been given some major persuasion effort to Not get a 51 Flighter at all.

That simply hasn't happened.

He's just been given good Extra information he might should consider first Before laying down $200-300 on a pen.

I 'spect there's LOTS of people here who wish members had given Them More 411 Before they laid that kind of coin down for a pen they Were Sure they wanted.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

I don't own a 51 Flighter, but having been a Parker Flighter fan from way back (Jotter, Insignia, Classic, Latitude & 45 ballpoints, and 45 Flighter fountain pen), having acquired my first (a Jotter) in around 1980.

In January I found a 45 Flighter on ebay with 14 k nib for $15.50 + shipping. Exceptional condition for a 1960's model. I had had a 45 ballpoint several years earlier that was lost, and always wanted another. I subsequently was PIF'd a 45 Bp/MP set by a member who had an additional set he wasn't using. I had been looking at a 45 Flighter FP at 5 star pens for months. I think it is a good idea that others have suggested. Try a 45 Flighter as they can be found quite inexpensively. You may not like it, not everyone does. Pick up a standard 51 (or even a 51 Special) and at least try it out - whether you purchase or not as well as the Flighter. Some people don't like the additional weight the stainless steel barrel adds compared to the standard model. Some don't like the way the additional weight changes the balance of the pen.

It was easy for me as I have been using Flighter style ballpoints for 35 years so the additional weight was a non issue for me. I have a 51 Special so I know at least somewhat to expect if I ever go 51 Flighter hunting. But even then I would like to try one out first to see if I liked the difference.

edit- spelling corrections

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain