I found this at a large local antiques market here in upstate New York called Stormville. The woman said she'd take $15 for it. I think it was a steal; I love it, though, no matter how much it's worth. Does anyone know more about this, particularly the marking that says PRIV. and the bird (I think it's an eagle and almost looks like a Napoleonic eagle...?) in the third photo? Thanks!

By the way, I believe it's missing a closing mechanism for the leather box portion but the lid to the actual well operates via an ingenious spring mechanism, at least I think it's pretty ingenious considering the probable age of the inkwell.

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee513/betweenthelens/IMG_4846_zpsff548596.jpg

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee513/betweenthelens/IMG_4848_zps05dc9325.jpg

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee513/betweenthelens/IMG_4849_zps1bb5b79f.jpg

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee513/betweenthelens/IMG_4850_zps656aab55.jpg

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee513/betweenthelens/IMG_4853_zpsd6e115a3.jpg

Edited by betweenthelens

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• betweenthelens

• fountainpagan

• Lyander0012

• stevesurf

I know absolutely nothing about this inkwell, but I also think you got a bargain!

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. - Mark Twain

Havent got a clue as to the heritage / value, but certainly a lovely acquisition. Enjoy owning and using it :) :thumbup:

Favourite Owned Pen - Lamy Studio, Brushed Steel with either a 1.1mm italic or Black F nib

Favourite Inks - Diamine Imperial Purple, Diamine Sargasso Sea, Noodlers Bad Blue Heron, Sheaffer Skrip Red

"Planned" (!) Purchases - TWSBI Diamond 580 AL, Waterman Expert Deluxe Blue, Esterbrook J, Sheaffer Prelude, Pilot Capless / Vanishing Point, Pilot Falcon

I know absolutely nothing about this inkwell, but I also think you got a bargain!

Thank you!

Havent got a clue as to the heritage / value, but certainly a lovely acquisition. Enjoy owning and using it :) :thumbup:

Thank you!

Well the double-headed eagle is symbolically related to both the Byzantine and Holy Roman empires along with a Scottish sect of Freemasonry. Priv. could very well be short for that Latin verb privo which means 'release from, relieve of, free from' and could simply be instructions to release the tab to open the well.

Edited by Tylerjordan

Well the double-headed eagle is symbolically related to both the Byzantine and Holy Roman empires along with a Scottish sect of Freemasonry. Priv. could very well be short for that Latin verb privo which means 'release from, relieve of, free from' and could simply be instructions to release the tab to open the well.

Thank you so much! I appreciate the information! It's a mystery but a beautiful one. I just love the inkwell.

Do you think it could be sterling? I don't see a mark, though.

I've also noticed some Russian pieces with the double-headed eagle. So interesting.

Edited by betweenthelens

Likely Austro-Hungarian, I suspect, with "PRIV" signifying "patented".

Later 19th or early 20th century.

As usual with these, the original closure inside the cap has disintegrated, leaving the backing spring visible. Originally there would have been a disk of stiff rubber that the spring would hold firmly against the glass inkwell's mouth.

Likely Austro-Hungarian, I suspect, with "PRIV" signifying "patented".

Later 19th or early 20th century.

As usual with these, the original closure inside the cap has disintegrated, leaving the backing spring visible. Originally there would have been a disk of stiff rubber that the spring would hold firmly against the glass inkwell's mouth.

Thank you so much for this information! Much, much appreciated!!!

I agree with Vintagepens.

Austro-hungarian empire for sure (double headed eagle). XIXth century rather than XXth. Sometimes you have K.K. before PRIV.

Very nice catch, and an excellent bargain, betweenthelens.

Edited by fountainpagan

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

I agree with Vintagepens.

Austro-hungarian empire for sure (double headed eagle). XIXth century rather than XXth. Sometimes you have K.K. before PRIV.

Very nice catch, and an excellent bargain, betweenthelens.

Thank you so much! I was pretty amazed when the woman said, "$15." At first, I thought she said, "$50."

And not only once.

I may as well give you my budget and let you do :lol:

Seriously, let me know if you're looking for anything in particular.

That is a gorgeous piece, thanks for sharing with us.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf