A Modern Indian Silver Overlay Pen.

hari317

I found this pen in one of the Hyderabad pen shops during my last visit. We (a friend and I) were there on a Sunday and most of the pen areas are closed on Sunday. We had nothing to lose and had some time to kill, so we went looking around the street stalls selling used books on the pavement, when we saw one pen shop open. Of course, we entered.

While casually browsing through some Ebonite pens that they had available, the shopkeeper quietly told me that he had a prototype Silver pen and would I like to see it? I said yes and finally it so happened that I managed to convince him to sell this one to me. I asked for a name to this pen but he just said the pens are made in Hyderabad and no name had been given to it. The base material it seems is acrylic. The section, I discovered, is made from Ebonite.

Some pictures:

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/JKsterlingpen/IMG_0264.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/JKsterlingpen/IMG_0266.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/JKsterlingpen/IMG_0267.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/JKsterlingpen/IMG_0269.jpg

Alongside a diametrically opposite pen, aesthetics wise, to give you a size reference:

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/JKsterlingpen/IMG_0271.jpg

Cheers!

Hari

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• Ghost Plane

• shrujaya

• Uncle Red

That is a lovely looking pen, Hari ... the design is intricate and your photo brings it out well...do the lines on the barrel and the cap align naturally? do you think the cap goes along with the overall silver and black theme of the pen? the nib unit is installed by you? How is the writing experience, not nib related, of course, but grip, feel, weight, posted, unposted, so on and so forth?...lots of questions... :D

Enjoy

Jai

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

Wow, that is so cool! It looks like the barrel is threaded for posting? You need to encourage this maker Hari.

That is a really beautiful pen. Congrats on finding it!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

That's very nice. I don't think I've seen much repoussé on pens, beyond the bands on antique mother of pearl eyedroppers.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Looks quite nice.

I am always amazed by your pen finds.

That is a fantastic pen :thumbup:

The silver work is incredibly intricate.

Thanks! :)

That is a lovely looking pen, Hari ... the design is intricate and your photo brings it out well...do the lines on the barrel and the cap align naturally? do you think the cap goes along with the overall silver and black theme of the pen? the nib unit is installed by you? How is the writing experience, not nib related, of course, but grip, feel, weight, posted, unposted, so on and so forth?...lots of questions... :D

Enjoy

Jai

Thanks Jai, of course, you must be really curious about the pen since we did not get the chance to inspect the pen fully at the shop as the time was running out and I had to leave. The pattern on the cap and barrel line up somewhat, it is OK, not perfect. I feel the cap is quite OK. the chrome clip is slightly odd, but given the circumstances, I feel it is the best that they could have done. I removed the stock friction fitted IPG nib and installed a JoWo #6 nib unit after modifying the section. I found the pen very balanced without the cap, the pen is already quite large and sits nicely in my hand, so I have not found the need to post the cap yet. The cap does post securely. I have not weighed the pen, maybe in a few days.

Pretty!

Wow, that is so cool! It looks like the barrel is threaded for posting? You need to encourage this maker Hari.

Thanks! The barrel is not threaded, but nicely shaped for securely posting the cap. They have my contact number and I have requested him to let me know when his future silver pens are ready. :)

That is a really beautiful pen. Congrats on finding it!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

thanks!

That's very nice. I don't think I've seen much repoussé on pens, beyond the bands on antique mother of pearl eyedroppers.

thanks Tweel. I am not really sure of the technique that they have used to create this overlay.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I am green with envy :lticaptd: ... If I could only visit ur collection once :(

I never chance upon such gems while strolling around. :wallbash: :doh: As you mentioned else where, these pens DO find you :gaah: . :)

Congrats on an excellent find. :notworthy1:

Opensuse_2.png http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)

• 3 weeks later...

Gem of a pen. Nice find.

How much did you pay for this?

Edited by subbu68

Regards

Subramoniam

I am green with envy :lticaptd: ... If I could only visit ur collection once :(

I never chance upon such gems while strolling around. :wallbash: :doh: As you mentioned else where, these pens DO find you :gaah: . :)

Congrats on an excellent find. :notworthy1:

Lovely.

Gem of a pen. Nice find.

thanks!