Pelikan M200 Cognac

Khawaja 512

This is my first review and first post on this forum. I have a very small collection of fountain pens. Mostly Parker fountain pens which include Parker 45 brush chrome stainless with gold plated trims and nib, green parker 45.. Both 45's are made in USA., brush chrome parker vector made in UK, parker frontier made in UK, parker beta made in India and Lamy safari made in Germany. All these six pens are F nib..

I used to read about Pelikan Fountain pens alot.. I really liked its classic piston fillers. I wished i could get one of their classics but unfortunately in Pakistan there is no official distributor of Pelikan.. I asked a friend who lives in Australia to order Pelikan M200 Cognac for me online through ebay. Pen was available in Germany and it took 18 days to arrive from Germany to Australia. Then he took it to Pakistan himself.. So finally I got my first Pelikan fountain pen.. I ordered cognac because i found it very attractive as it launched in 2014.. I really love its colour. Its a demonstrator but in a very classical way..very very elegant looks. I ordered this pen in a Medium nib. It writes flawlessly.. Its really a smooth writer. Here i am posting its pictures.. It came with a Pelikan special gift pack and a pouch.

post-116018-0-93033600-1409382270_thumb.jpg

post-116018-0-54153900-1409382300_thumb.jpg

post-116018-0-93304200-1409382333_thumb.jpg

post-116018-0-69821500-1409382367_thumb.jpg

post-116018-0-45786700-1409382402_thumb.jpg

post-116018-0-64741800-1409382426_thumb.jpg

post-116018-0-62728800-1409382455_thumb.jpg

post-116018-0-33224700-1409382497_thumb.jpg

post-116018-0-73538800-1409382540_thumb.jpg

post-116018-0-14618700-1409382568_thumb.jpg

post-116018-0-92110100-1409382594_thumb.jpg

post-116018-0-00943600-1409382618_thumb.jpg

post-116018-0-90218400-1409382639_thumb.jpg

post-116018-0-56717000-1409382669_thumb.jpg

post-116018-0-89086100-1409382700_thumb.jpg

post-116018-0-86560700-1409382734_thumb.jpg

post-116018-0-92249300-1409382763_thumb.jpg

post-116018-0-21619500-1409382791_thumb.jpg

post-116018-0-84781700-1409382824_thumb.jpg

post-116018-0-38222400-1409382857_thumb.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Khawaja 512

• jandrese

• de_pen_dent

• 4lex

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice choice of Pelikan to begin your potential "addiction" :) . I bought one of these at Isetan KL the last time I was in Malysia for my daughter & she loves it.

Are the India manufactured Parkers available in Pakistan?

No they are not available in Pakistan.. I bought it from Bariely, U.P. India.

Nice choice of Pelikan to begin your potential "addiction" :) . I bought one of these at Isetan KL the last time I was in Malysia for my daughter & she loves it.

Thank you Sir.. Its really a great pen.. Your daughter must be really pleased to own it..

I recently got the Cognac with an EF nib as well (my first EF nib, as I tend to lean towards M/B stubs). I have been really happy with it - it puts out a very fine line, but is still very smooth, with just a hint of paper feedback (kinda like a pencil - which I prefer to the glassy, no-feedback nibs).

Well-made pen, looks really sharp and comes in a very nice package and pouch, as the photos above show. I got mine for a fairly reasonable price (about the same as a regular M200, give or take), and have been very happy with it.

The only problem is that an EF nib + its large ink capacity means that it takes ages for me to finish the ink in it :)

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

I recently got the Cognac with an EF nib as well (my first EF nib, as I tend to lean towards M/B stubs). I have been really happy with it - it puts out a very fine line, but is still very smooth, with just a hint of paper feedback (kinda like a pencil - which I prefer to the glassy, no-feedback nibs).

Well-made pen, looks really sharp and comes in a very nice package and pouch, as the photos above show. I got mine for a fairly reasonable price (about the same as a regular M200, give or take), and have been very happy with it.

The only problem is that an EF nib + its large ink capacity means that it takes ages for me to finish the ink in it :)

Lolzzz... You are very much right Sir..

Was using mine today and am still enamored with it, which is good because I accidently ended up with two (lesson: only bid on one at a time). Hard to go wrong with a Pelikan.

Thanks for the nice review and pics. I have a Pelikan M250 in transparent amber from like 2003. Based on photos of the cognac alone I'd say Pelikan brought back an older material and renamed it cognac. Nothing wrong with that if true, just wondering if anyone else that has both pens can comment.

I have a M200 also.

It came with a M nib, but after using it for a while I decided that the Pelikan M was too wide for me, and I got a XF nib that is just right. The Pelikan XF puts down an ink line similar to a US Parker F nib, which is my standard nib size for use on US college ruled paper (7.1mm line spacing). The Pelikan M nib was better in the wider US wide ruled paper (8.7mm line spacing) or wider, where its fatter tip and ink line had more space to spread out.

@de_pen_dent

You can always put a stub/italic nib in the pen to use up your ink faster ;)

I have a 1.1mm nib in my Lamy joy and I like it. But for me a stub is not a general purpose nib, it is too wide. I reserve it for places where I have the room on the paper to use it.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

@de_pen_dent

You can always put a stub/italic nib in the pen to use up your ink faster ;)

I have a 1.1mm nib in my Lamy joy and I like it. But for me a stub is not a general purpose nib, it is too wide. I reserve it for places where I have the room on the paper to use it.

You are prescient - that's what I am doing, sorta. I got a B Stub for my M400 Tortoise, and I am going to pull the B nib off the Tortoise and put in on the Cognac.

Now, what to do with the EF nib? I guess i am going to have to buy a new pen now :) (actually that isnt too bad - i had a spare handlebar and saddle, and somehow, a few months later that became a new bike)

Edited by de_pen_dent

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

• 1 month later...

Jandrese,

I also have what I believe is a 250 amber demonstrator that I bought from Levenger in the 1990's. It came with a 14K gold nib rather than the standard steel nib. Does yours have the gold nib?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello bpgoldman,

Yes, my old amber demo has a gold nib. Maybe it was from Levenger....that rings a bell. Good pen. It was with me in Paris for my honeymoon when I bought an Omas or two.

Nice review and pictures ..

Are there any "made in pakistan" fountain pens available ?

Please let us know .

BAAZ

Hello all: I too, have the Cognac and am truly delighted with it. Does anyone know whether there's a matching rollerball or ballpoint? I've checked the Pelikan site as well as the usual vendors but haven't seen any. I enjoy using this for work but there's always triplicate form that pop up on a dialy basis.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the nice review and pics. I have a Pelikan M250 in transparent amber from like 2003. Based on photos of the cognac alone I'd say Pelikan brought back an older material and renamed it cognac. Nothing wrong with that if true, just wondering if anyone else that has both pens can comment.

I don't own both pens but have seen and tried out both of them. The colour is different, it is not same colour and renamed. Amber really looks like amber and the best description of Cognac models colour is…well cognac. It is slightly darker brown and amber slightly lighter.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

That pen is beautiful. Enjoy writing with it.

As a side note, if you like fine nibs, have you considered pens of Japanese origin? Maybe ponder expanding your collection? <Tosses bait and starts reeling it in, laughing maniacally><"Come to the dark side! We have fine nibs">

Disclaimier: The text found in the <> are what the four voices in my head call jokes. No harm intended.

I have to apologise, after my post I went and checked the pens again and you were right. The only difference is the gold cap top.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy