Sterling Over Bhr Pen Needs Sac Replacement

inkstainedruth

So, Iast year at DCSS I picked up a Morrison ringtop with a GF filagree overlay, and have been hankering for a silver filagree overlay one to go with it. That so far hasn't happened, but I did get a Morrison ringtop in sterling on Ebay this week. The pen came today in the mail; the sterling itself does not look too badly tarnished; but, as I suspected, the sac is completely shot. The nib unit unscrews easily from the section -- when I opened it up, sort of brownish dust came out -- not sure whether that's the sac, or old dried shellac from where it was previously attached to the nipple on the back of the nib unit. I came across the auction fairly late in the proceedings, so not really any time to ask questions about condition, but I think I paid a decent price for it under the circumstances.

This is the link to the original listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-MORRISON-039-S-STERLING-SILVER-LADY-RING-FOUNTAIN-PEN-3-amp-5-8-034-/390913259407?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=YBygMBx5dbrqjipBqsMo5PfkX2g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I'm not all that experienced with what I *think* is BHR to start with, and this is also going to be my first sterling silver pen. Any tips about removing the old sac fragments without causing any damage, either to the BHR or to the silver itself? Is it safe to soak in either distilled water or ammonia solution, or so I just have to start scraping gently? There appears to be a bit of discoloration to the back of the pen barrel, below where the overlay is, and also a bit where the cap doesn't quite cover it on the back of the section -- nothing too bad, IMO, but of course I don't want to aggravate things. Afterwards, I expect that I will have to polish the silver up a bit (and then possibly make a silvercloth bag to store it in when it's not in rotation.

Also, anyone have a clue as to what size sac a pen like this would take? I know Morrisons are probably a third tier company, but I'm a sucker for them, and the GF overlay pen is a nice juicy writer. I can't tell about this one yet (it's got a #4 Morrison 14K nib on it, which may also need to be looked over a bit, but I've seen nibs in much worse shape on much better pens).

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Uncle Red

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruth, do not soak hard rubber pens because it will turn them brown. Patient, gentle scraping is needed here. Try different sized sacks 'til you get the right diameter and then cut it to the right length. How well does the lever sit against the barrel? You need to bring it to the meeting next week.

Oh, I absolutely will bring it. :lol:

The lever sits against the barrel pretty well on the end, but may go into the slot a bit far on the pivot side.

I may see if Steve has calipers that go to 64ths of an inch so I know what size sac -- I have a bunch of 16s for the Esterbrooks, and then a couple of 12s (where I crossed my fingers for size) for the Arnolds. If it takes something else size-wise, I'll just have to order it.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."