I Know Nothing About Waterman Pens But Want To Learn

Larry Barrieau

Is there a penography type of page available for Waterman pens? I would like to stick with early fifties and before. I now have Esties, Parker's, and Sheaffers.

Thanks

Larry

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Larry Barrieau

• Uncle Red

• pajaro

• BCastle

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Dirck is a wealth of information, I should have thought of him first.

Larry

I've looked at the Watermans and found a couple that I think might make a nice first Waterman. One is the 52' , another is the 100

Year pen, and I am also thinking about a Philias even though it,s a modern one. I have seen some of these on ebay for what seems to be low prices, what should I be looking for in terms of red flags on these pens?

Thanks,

Larry

Condition of the pen and especially the nib. For a first pen consider a restored pen from a reputable dealer. I forget when the Boston pen show is.

If you want to keep costs down accept a discolored pen with a good nib. Smaller pens tend to be cheaper so look for a 52v, a 3v or a 92v; you'll have to use them posted but you can save some money and the nibs are just as good. A 12 is an ED and can be a nice pen but some people don't like the slip on cap so look for a 72 which is an ED with a screw on cap. There were 72v's but they aren't common.

Any pen with a 1/2 in the name is a thin model and they are thin, if you get along with thin pens you can consider them too.

Peyton Street Pens is a great dealer, I've bought a lot of pens from Teri.

Indy-Pen-Dance is another good dealer but they don't keep their website up to date so email them.

I've bought from Five Star Pens in the past but they don't have a lot of Waterman right now (they do have some nice Conklin metal pens though).

Ross Pens is another good dealer.

Greg Minuskin has some great deals but you have to keep checking his site to get them.

Thanks very much Uncle Red. Good information. I was hoping to get one off of ebay. I have saced Esties, restored a Parker 51, and resaced and put new o rings in a couple of Touhdowns. Are any of the pens you mentioned at that level of difficulty, I,m a beginner but would like to do it myself if they aren't too hard.

Larry

After trying to remove the sections on a couple of 50s Waterman lever fillers, and having found them easily damaged by the heat, I think you should exercise caution on those pens. Keep the heat low.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The HR pens are no harder to sack than the pens you mention. Just remember the lever/preasure bar system is different.