Parker Sonnet Tartan Real?

FedericoMedina

Hello I recently acquired a used Parker Sonnet Tartan in rally nice condition apparently the previous owner never used it and it was in storage.

Any who I have been reading that there are many fakes in regards to this specific pen model usually identified by the box, and I want an honest opinion from all the wonderful Parker experts because I can still return it if needed.

I have read that usually the engravings look really bad, However on this model they look really nice and the nib hallmark P arrow W is very nice. here are some photos of the pen:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/federico97/_8007531_zps7cc75c75.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/federico97/_8007530_zps11e6a219.jpghttp://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/federico97/_8007529_zpseb11ce69.jpghttp://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/federico97/_8007527_zps7d5d2f00.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FedericoMedina

• pajaro

• richardandtracy

• Ted F

Top Posters In This Topic

According to parkercollector.com the Sonnet Tartan was made between 2003 and 2008. Does the date code on the pen match this?

According to parkercollector.com the Sonnet Tartan was made between 2003 and 2008. Does the date code on the pen match this?

i cant seem to find one anywhere.

the only engravings i see are parker on the caps band with Sonnet (first line) and France A.I(second line) written on back

the nib has only 18k-750 with the hallmark and P logo

Edited by FedericoMedina

Don't know Sonnets but I know other Parkers and this one looks pretty damned real. Does it write well and feel good? If so, it's a good pen.

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Try taking a magnet to the nib. The 750 on the nib means 18kt gold, so the nib should not be magnetic. If it isn't, I'd stop worrying right there, because "they" would not bother putting a gold nib in a counterfeit pen. From what I can tell from the fit and finish visible in your pics, the pen looks authentic. Looking at the box, it looks to be from the right era, and has some corner wear and the pattern visible on the top is consistent with a pen in storage. I see nothing that makes me think this would be a fake.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

As shown above, A.I is the date code, which would correspond to the 3rd quarter of 2002.

As shown above, A.I is the date code, which would correspond to the 3rd quarter of 2002.

The date code would be on the cap rim. I don't see that above, but you would have to turn the cap to find A.I on the cap rim. I have a few Sonnets without a date code. Otherwise they look genuine, but with no date code, I think they are suspicious.

Otherwise this pen looks genuine Parker, but I would like to see more detail, like the inside of the barrel with the section removed and the date code.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Date code is A.I on the reverse of the cap I will take the requested photos tommorow.

I found a couple more old threads here on the FPN on checking if genuine sonnet (very specific things I must say).

Like the top side of the tipping should be flat on authentic Parker Sonnets, and that there should be no rim on the underside of the feed.

Found here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/13750-methods-to-identify-a-fake-sonnet/

Seems my sonnet checks out authentic in everything I can find.

When I took out the nib. I found traces where the silver plating to cover the gold was not applied, and/or diminished revealing the gold which was kind of a happy feeling for me. On top of the feed checking out as authentic as well. And of course everyone here who has commented has given me a positive feeling about this sonnet being authentic.

The one thing that puzzles me is the time stamp. If chiseled Tartan was produced in 2003-2007 mine has a stamp of A.1 which is 2002 3rd quarter. Putting it before production? (According to parkercollector.com)

If they are 100% right on the money with thier dates then I am not sure what to conclude.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks for all the kind help on this so far everyone I really appreciate it!

Edited by FedericoMedina

The time stamp apparently indicates early production of the model, as if Parker were preparing the pen for issue, stocking up before release of the model. I have seen this on other Sonnets, pens with date codes in the quarter before release of a pen. They do have to make the pens and have stock to ship.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Very true, and valid point Pajaro. Well I am very pleased.

I will post the pictures you requested later today.

Looks good to me.

A non-magnetic nib can indicate the nib is an austenitic stainless steel. My Kaigelu 356 has a stainless, non magnetic nib. So, being non magnetic is not proof, just another indicator.

The quality of the engraving is good everywhere, another positive indicator.

The date code is pretty much correct, the box is correct and the lining looks good.

Nib width is fairly wide. All the Sonnet fakes I have seen have points that are on the fine side of Medium, in which case this would be unusually broad for a fake.

Pretty certain it's right.

Regards,

Richard.

Since it seems i am going to be keeping this lovely Parker Tartan I spent the last 2 hours polishing and cleaning her up.

Wow, what a a gem was underneath all that dirt!

She is incredibly glitzy!

Seems 90% of the really smudged areas of the pen which I assumed was finish wear, was only dirt and oil from light handling and dust accumulation. Looks pretty immaculate!