Eversharp Junior

pen lady

Hi all, I've just had this Eversharp Junior delivered and if course I want to restore it. As you can see, there is a vistulated area, then the threads and then the section. Where does the pen open please? In front of or to the rear of the threads. Thanks.

post-12077-0-60834800-1409081037_thumb.jpg

post-12077-0-68713900-1409081054_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pen lady

• flighter51

• robert1962

• Hooker56

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It opens normally but be careful. There are no tricks here, try not to overthink it and I would recommend a good soak.

BEAUTIFUL pen by the way!

Happy Pen Hunting,

Fern

Thanks, yes it is a pretty little thing, it almost looks like some of the Doric plastics but hopefully without their "issues". So on we go, out with the hair dryer and Syd's pen potion #7. I bought some from him at the last L.A. Pen Show, and, "hey this stuff really works"!

Thanks again.

I hope I am not too late in posting this. As you mention, there is a "visulated area" behind the threads. Your pen appears to be the same configuration of Eversharp Jr. that I have some examples of. If it is the same, it, like my pens is not the typical friction fit section in barrel. On my pens, the section screws in to the "visulated area" that you mention (which includes the barrel threads). This "visulated area" itself screws in to the barrel proper. It is this "visulated area" that has the nipple where the sac attatches conventionally. A close examination with a loupe where the transparent area joins the patterened barrel should allow you to see if the joint is threaded, as the barrel celluloid is thin, and is somewhat translucent where the threads would be internally cut.

I urge you to get the facts of you pen's construction confirmed first, then get the advice of some of the Wahl experts on restoration as the wrong procedure may lead to an unsatisfactory result. Don't underthink it!

I was able to disassemble the pens I have with heat, but I would caution the inexperienced on this, as a sealant appears to have been used. Enough temp and too much temp are almost the same thing (there are numerous threads on this point, I'm sure). This assembly was designed to be quite snug so that in use, unscrewing the cap would not inadvertently unscrew everything! That would screw everything up! Soaking always helps, but I found heat was required on this disassembly.

These pens, because of this variation on the visible ink fad of the 30's, are quite complex for lever fillers. They are also quite well made, as evidenced by parts that fit so well that some 75, or so years later we need a loupe to see the join between the components in question.

Hope this helps - Bob

Shouldn't phonics be spelled with an f?

Agreed Bob,

I've done a few Gold Bond's (rebranded Wahl-Eversharp's) of this same configuration and they can be a bugger. Be careful, use dry heat, and go slow. The "Lever Vac" is a really neat setup. I'm not sure if it's just the GB's or all of them like this but mine had short breather tubes at the back of the feeds, so be careful and watch out for those too. Like Bob said though, there was definitely some kind of sealant used in between the visulated section and the rest of the body, once you get those two apart though its a fairly straight forward resac. Takes a pretty short sac if I remember correctly, and multiple strokes to fill.

Thanks for the extra information. I did attempt to restore the pen today and found that, indeed, there was no nipple on the "front" section. No, don't worry, the pen isn't totally ruined, but what did happen was this. In pulling out the old sack, I managed to break the "C" shaped spring that holds the lever in place and that it pivots on I assume. I never did intend to use the pen, so I've repositioned the lever in it's slot and put a length of drinking straw down the barrel to hold it in place from the inside. It looks perfectly fine in it's tray with my other Eversharp pens, and one of these days, I might get it professionally restored. Vintage fountain pens = steep learning curve!

Thanks for the extra information. I did attempt to restore the pen today and found that, indeed, there was no nipple on the "front" section. No, don't worry, the pen isn't totally ruined, but what did happen was this. In pulling out the old sack, I managed to break the "C" shaped spring that holds the lever in place and that it pivots on I assume. I never did intend to use the pen, so I've repositioned the lever in it's slot and put a length of drinking straw down the barrel to hold it in place from the inside. It looks perfectly fine in it's tray with my other Eversharp pens, and one of these days, I might get it professionally restored. Vintage fountain pens = steep learning curve!

Save all the parts of the pressure/lever bar as it may be more practical to solder or braise the part back together when you do have it restored. Some of the different mechanisms are more difficult to replace, but if you save the parts it may make it easier on the restorer and thus easier on your pocketbook.

Just my $.02 :)

Clayton

P.S. - Beautiful little pen!

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

Thanks Clayton. I'm not overly stressed about this little pen, it didn't cost a mint, and as the country auctioneers say about a damaged piece of china "it looks good on a shelf"!